Has anyone ridden the Zephyr this summer?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Jenny

I'm taking the Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago next week, and I'm curious to hear anyone else's experience this summer. I'm happy to hear ridership is up, but wondering if the train is crowed or just what the overall experience is. I've ridden from Kansas to Oakland via LA, but that was 15 years ago. I'm also kind of curious what kind of delays are typical- I know it's a crapshoot, could be many hours, but how often does that happen?

Thanks

Peter

We had our first leg of our trip this summer cancelled due to the flooding in Iowa and Illinois. Fortunately we were the first CZ run on July 5th out of Chicago to Lincoln NE. The devastation due to the flooding was overwhelming. I will be interested if its still obvious if there was flooding. I will be back on the CZ from LNK to CHI September 13th with my church singles group.....42 of us to be exact. We had a good crew the day we rode it from CHI-LNK. Its been about 3 hours late here the last couple of weeks, so yes...its a crapshoot when it comes to the OTP. Have fun!

I'm taking the Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago next week, and I'm curious to hear anyone else's experience this summer. I'm happy to hear ridership is up, but wondering if the train is crowed or just what the overall experience is. I've ridden from Kansas to Oakland via LA, but that was 15 years ago. I'm also kind of curious what kind of delays are typical- I know it's a crapshoot, could be many hours, but how often does that happen?
Thanks

Peter
I took the Zephyr last month from Emeryville to Chicago. Longest train trip I ever did but it was well worth it. Overall the train was pretty full. The service overall was excellent except for one of the waiters in the dining car was sort of a crabass.

The lounge car attendant, Frank, was hilarious the entire trip. We had a bedroom in the sleeping car and our attendant was great. Our sleeping car and the lounge car looked a little tired (the interiors looked like they needed some overhaul work). The train arrived in Chicago about 4 hours late, which I expected. Otherwise it was probably the best train trip I've ever been on.

I hope to do it again, soon!

I'm sure you'll enjoy the trip!

Thanks, that is kind of what I'm expecting, 4-6 hours late and sort of grimy. I'm taking coach, to see how much it hurts. I checked to see about upgrading to a roomette, and it was about 650 going east, and 450 returning west. I may try to do it on board for the return trip.

thanks

Peter

Was "Frank" an Italian American? He just oozed wiseassness and wiseguy stuff! :lol: He was on our train going to the Get Together last year. When I told him we were on the train to go to an Amtrak "Get Together", he said, "you know doctors have a cure for that!" Which I thought was hilarious. He was an excellent lounge attendent and fun as well! :)

We had our first leg of our trip this summer cancelled due to the flooding in Iowa and Illinois. Fortunately we were the first CZ run on July 5th out of Chicago to Lincoln NE. The devastation due to the flooding was overwhelming. I will be interested if its still obvious if there was flooding. I will be back on the CZ from LNK to CHI September 13th with my church singles group.....42 of us to be exact. We had a good crew the day we rode it from CHI-LNK. Its been about 3 hours late here the last couple of weeks, so yes...its a crapshoot when it comes to the OTP. Have fun!
Yep - it's still obvious that there was flooding (or at least as of 3 days ago). Starting about 2 miles east of the Mississippi crossing you start to see fields that still have standing water in them (!).

I took the CZ last month from Davis to Chicago. I was in coach the entire trip. LOVED IT! Passengers were friendly. Crew was friendly. I actually think coach is better than a room because you're out there with people the entire time. I met some VERY nice people! Great memories! I think we got into Chicago about 2 hours late. But, we were all having such a good time, it didn't really matter! Just remember, when walking on the train, walk fast! I learned that AFTER my trip! The restrooms were quite clean. Train was full. Bring a bag of snacks! A BIG bag of snacks! Sleeping in coach is difficult. But, if you need to stretch out, go downstairs in the lounge car, they have tables with long benches. You can sleep there if you can't sleep in your coach chair. Good luck, have fun, and enjoy yourself! Steve

Was "Frank" an Italian American? He just oozed wiseassness and wiseguy stuff! :lol: He was on our train going to the Get Together last year. When I told him we were on the train to go to an Amtrak "Get Together", he said, "you know doctors have a cure for that!" Which I thought was hilarious. He was an excellent lounge attendent and fun as well! :)
Yeah Frank was an Italian Lounge Car Attendant on the Zephyr when I rode it last month. The guy was hysterical and made the whole trip. I told him I was a train buff and he looked at me like I should get help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back