Happy Birthday EmpireBuilderFan!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jccollins

Conductor
I have enjoyed reading your posts on the forum and you are a definitely one of our few valuable posters from the west coast. Hope you have a great one and have planned a train trip to celebrate! :)

Thanks, all! Unfortunately no train trip in my immediate future, as I'm spending the summer in Billings MT, which hasn't had Amtrak service since the North Coast Hiawatha was terminated in 1979. :( Even still, I may have to look into a quick overnight trip on the "remodeled" EB if it launches in August like the Amtrak 5-year plan wants to.

Bill, I wish I could have ridden the EB when the Great Northern still ran it. It sounds like it was one of the country's great trains, even up to the creation of Amtrak. Of course, I think that it's still one of Amtrak's top 3 trains, if not the best.

EB---just to be sure---you probably already know about this, it has probably already been mentioned on this forum ....but are you aware of the article in TRAINS some years ago, about "The Clean Window Train" referring to the EB?

Bill,

No, I hadn't heard of that article, but the title makes sense. I had heard that the GN was pretty meticulous about keeping the windows on the EB clean, especially before it went into the mountains. I'll have to see if I can find a library somewhere with old back issues of Trains and check it out.

Actually, the "clean window" thing was more of a metaphor, just meaning "clean" or "good " service in many ways---like "keeping your nose clean". It was that more than a literalism.

It is sort of like saying the EB was so good in every way that even such a detail as the windows being kept clean was not over-looked.

And, if I am not mistaken, the article was written by David Morgan, premier long term long time editor of TRAINS.

Latest posts

Back