Handicap vrs normal Bedroom in Superliner and Viewliner cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stan Ames

I am trying to understand the differences between the handicap and normal bedrooms.

Does any one know the toilet heights and which offers a better travel experience.

Thanks

Stan

The Handicappd bedroom on Viewliner cars has a much larger bathroom, allowing a wheelchair to be rolled in and it,also has a handheld shower with a drain on the floor, as opposed to the standard bedroom that has a very limited bathroom/ shower - very narrow!

If you are indeed handicapped, you would be much more comfortable in the handicapped bathroom.

We normally prefer the upstairs bedroom on the Superliners. Just had hip surgery and the issue we are trying to resolve is the toilet height. I could not find any information on the Amtrak website.

Stan

There are a couple of people here that have some experience in the H-rooms. They may not have exact measurements, but I assume you're looking for something higher than the standard toilet?

If you have a wheelchair a Superliner bedroom is inaccessible. Even if you are ambulatory, the bedroom is upstairs and requires going up a steep winding staircase. Don't know the height of the toilet but the toilet room is very narrow and the only assistance bar is high and vertical. The only disadvantage of the Superliner Handicap room is that the toilet, although very accessible and with assistance bars, is right in the room with you and only separated from the beds by a curtain. Could be an issue if traveling with someone.

The Accessible Bedroom in the Superliner car is the full width of the car, which is why it is on the lower level, and is essentially a Roomette on one side of the car with a bathroom on the other side. In between the seats/bunks and the bathroom is floor space that on the upper level would be the access/through hall between Roomettes on both sides of the car.

A curtain separates the bathroom from the seats/beds.

The Family Bedroom in a Superliner car also spans the full width of the train, but does not include a bathroom/shower.

The Family Bedroom has a seat and couch like the regular Bedroom has, but the 2 child bunks take up the space a regular Bedroom uses for the outside access/through hallway along the upper level of a Superliner car.

Amtrak Car layouts

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't give you the toilet height in inches. It is higher than a standard household toilet but a little lower than ADA height. The bowl is small (not elongated). It is located in a corner with grab bars along both walls.

In Superliners, the H-room is next to all the other toilets. Sometimes they are easier to use because most of them have a grab bar next to the door (in front of you instead of behind you when trying to stand up) and also the sink counter is next to you when sitting, and sturdy for support when standing.

If you need one of those temporary contraptions that raise the toilet seat 6 inches or so, you'll probably need it on the train. If you are able to use public ADA toilets, you'll probably be okay.

I don't know anything about hip surgery ... does it preclude stairs? I ask because the Superliner coach handicapped restroom is ADA height and sized. But it is a long way from the sleepers. You might find visits there combined with TravelJohn urinals in your room to be workable.

<<

The Accessible Bedroom in the Superliner car is the full width of the car, which is why it is on the lower level, and is essentially a Roomette on one side of the car with a bathroom/shower on the other side. In between the seats/bunks and the bathroom/shower is floor space that on the upper level would be the access/through hall between Roomettes on both sides of the car.

A curtain separates the bathroom/shower from the seats/beds.

>>

I believe there is no shower in the accessible bedroom on a Superliner. There is a shower in the accessible bedroom on a Viewliner.

The problem they may face is that wheelchair accessibility/ADA requires 17-19 inches to facilitate transfer, but someone with hip surgery may find that very low. As an earlier poster pointed out, height riser attachment may be needed. I know that post hip fracture repair my mom used the frame/seat part of a commode, without the bucket part it gave her the added height, and the arms for getting up.

Is the shower room on the Superliners, which is a short distance from the handicap room, accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back