"H" Designated Sleeper Rooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PJRACER

Service Attendant
I just learned about the "H" designated rooms for handicapped in another post. I use a walker from time to time for balance and back problems....and my wife and I are planning a trip next August. I plan on buying the two of us AMTRAK 15-day, 8 segment passes at the ticket office in St Pete....and will carry my documentation for handicapped in at that time. If I ask about an "H" sleeper on the segment from Washington to Chicago....do you think it will be at the very lowest bucket pricing....or is it at the going rate as of that day. Its kind of confusing.

If you qualify, the H-Room is sold at a rate just above a roomette and below the rate of a bedroom. Within 15 days of departure, the H-room is offered for sale at the current bedroom fare to anyone else.

BTW: The "cost" for a AGR award is the same as a roomette, and the "cost" for a family room is the same as a bedroom.

So with me not qualifying for the card with the white wheelchair on blue background for my car, are you saying that at 15 days prior to a trip I can book an accessible bedroom through AGR and only pay the roomette point price?

So with me not qualifying for the card with the white wheelchair on blue background for my car, are you saying that at 15 days prior to a trip I can book an accessible bedroom through AGR and only pay the roomette point price?
No.

The H room is billed as roomette for qualified H passengers anytime.

The H room is billed as a bedroom for non-qualified passengers two weeks from departure.

OK - - - got it so far.....but is it at the very lowest "bucket" price, or is it at the current rate for the date of travel? I am not involved with AGR.

When I book the H-room (I'm "qualified"), it is priced at the current roomette price less the 15% discount. Therefore, it pays to check several dates if you can be flexible, and to book early. I know this is not entirely possible with a pass. There are some other threads around about upgrading with a pass.

The H room on the Superliners is located on the first floor. Trouble is that its located right over the septic holding tank and the first room to experience a bad odor when the tank gets near full. My uncle took the AutoTrain this summer and the stench was so bad that they had to move him and his girlfriend to roomettes. This is not the first time I've heard of this problem. However on the Viewliners, this should not be a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back