Guests / visitors onboard?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D.P. Roberts

Conductor
I know only ticketed passengers can really be onboard the train. But if we have people dropping us off or picking us up, can they get on the train to help us with our luggage, check out our room, etc.? Not that we really need the help, but several members of my family are quite curious about the accommodations onboard, and might want to see our sleeping car.

In general, there's not a problem with having folks help you onto the train, but, unless the train is reasonably on time and there is layover, there won't be time for a tour. Certainly, there are attendants who don't want semi-random folks getting on the train for a look-see rather than business.

In general, there's not a problem with having folks help you onto the train, but, unless the train is reasonably on time and there is layover, there won't be time for a tour. Certainly, there are attendants who don't want semi-random folks getting on the train for a look-see rather than business.
We're getting off at Whitefish, so there's a service stop there anyway. The relatives who are picking me up keep asking about our roomette, as they can't imagine spending two days in an area the size of a couch...

I was given the opportunity by an Amtrak conductor to see the inside of an Amtrak train for the first time one week before I was to board on my first LD train to EMY. This was a "HUGE" gesture for my attitude toward Amtrak. The conductor in my opinion created a new "regular" customer by showing us quickly the CZ. He showed us a bedroom and a roomette. Made us laugh, gave us some tips, told us not to expect to be on time and told us why etc. 1 1/2 years later and 6 trips on Amtrak later, I'm getting ready to board again. We had to look "quickly" and keep our voices down, but it was so worth it.

Certainly... go for it. Just don't be surprised, upset, or angry at the crew when the train takes off from the station before you have a chance to detrain. Signs at most stations warn the public that only ticketed passengers are permitted on the BOARDING PLATFORMS, let alone the trains! :huh:

I have seen "visitors" and "baggage helpers" board the trains on several occasions during my two-year term as a station volunteer in Martinez, Calif. and go for an unexpected ride. It happens more frequently than you might expect so just go with it if it does happen and enjoy the experience. The train will not stop once it officially departs the station and pulling the emergency stop cable is a serious offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back