Greyhound seats and fleet questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Friday now, so there's a bunch of sell-outs today. Sked 8309 RNO-SFD morning Express, Sked 8315 RNO-SFD afternoon Local, Sked 8308 SFD-RNO afternoon Express, Sked 8322 SFD-RNO Friday Night Special, Sked 1436 SAC-PUT overnight Local, Sked 6846 LAD-SAC evening Express, Sked 9606 LAD-SAC Cruceros overnight Local, Sked 6840 LAD-SFD day Local, Sked 6862 LAD-SFD overnight Express, Sked 6876 LAD-SFD overnight Express, Sked 6725 SFD-LAD scenic route day Local, Sked 6771 SFD-LAD day Express, Sked 6855 SFD-LAD day Express, Sked 6845 SFD-LAD day Express, and Sked 6849 SFD-LAD overnight Express.

The SIZE of that list indicates that this had been a VERY succesful weekend for Greyhound Lines here along the West Coast. I haven't checked PNW loads but I'm pretty sure they're good too. Today's SFD-LAD runs will carry about 600-700 passengers in total with 12 buses scheduled. Yeah, business is good even though college riders are virtually nonexistent. And of course the Friday Night Special is packed tonight, otherwise there would be no reason to run the special and pay the station crews overtime.

Now I'm hoping to ride a rebuilt G4500 in October. Have never seen any of those with my own eyes, let along ridden them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does Greyhound have all these circuitous routes? I can just think of so many off the top of my head, NYD-PGH, ATD-DET, ATD-JAX, SLD-PHX, SFD-LAD, SFD-ARC. What's going on here?

Why does Greyhound have all these circuitous routes? I can just think of so many off the top of my head, NYD-PGH, ATD-DET, ATD-JAX, SLD-PHX, SFD-LAD, SFD-ARC. What's going on here?
What do you mean by 'circuitous'?

They seem like ordinary point to point routes to me....some of them are a segment of a longer route, such as New York - Pittsburgh...part of a New York to St. Louis or beyond route. At one time thru from New York to Los Angeles......

What do you mean by 'circuitous'?

They seem like ordinary point to point routes to me....some of them are a segment of a longer route, such as New York - Pittsburgh...part of a New York to St. Louis or beyond route. At one time thru from New York to Los Angeles......
I've got some time right now so I can think about this, NYP-PGH sometimes detours throguh PHL, ATD-DET detours through NAS, ATD-JAX detours through CLG, SLD-PHX detours through Lambart Field and Glendale, SFD-LAD sometimes detours through SJO, SFd-ARC detours through OAK then doubles back.

Meanwhile, I've heard a bunch of crazy Greyhound stories today that I'll probably share in a different post, not this one.

I wouldn't call those you mentioned as 'detours'......they are just station stops on a thru route. Not all trips, especially longer ones, are non-stop. There is insufficient market for doing non-stop in all cases, and there is market need to serve intermediate points.

I wouldn't call those you mentioned as 'detours'......they are just station stops on a thru route. Not all trips, especially longer ones, are non-stop. There is insufficient market for doing non-stop in all cases, and there is market need to serve intermediate points.
I'm thiniing that NYP-PGH could just go directly to HAR on Interstate-78, ATD-DET could take Interstate-75 to CIN instead of going through NAS, ATD-JAX could just go through Macon, SLD-PHX could just bypass those two minor stop, SFD-LAD would only serve SJO if taking the Coast Route, Central Valley services should not go south to SJO then go across the mountains through Coalinga, and SFD-ARC could just go north across the Golden Gate Bridge and make a stop in Novato.

To replace the lost stops, just add ACY-PGH expresses, DLD-DET, more ATD-CHD, a MEM-MID, make ATD-NOD stop ot CLG, make the SLD-KCD stop at Lambert Field, make PHX-LVG stop at Glendale then run strainght to Kingman instead of detouring through Flagstaff, SJO would still be served by SFD-LAD Coast Route schedules, and the OAK pax could connect to ARC through SFD. Not that complicated if you think about it.

Anyway, I heard something really weird happened at the Greyhound station yesterday, the DEN-RNO through schedule 1347 was apparently dispatched by OSC to run as the connecting schedule 8309 RNO-SFD. So the DL3 arrived here yesterday morning, then immediatly departed again, running through to SFD. There was no tire check or anything, it just got refuelled and sent back onto the road. It's very rare that we have DL3s west of here, and this time the bus basically ran through from DEN to SFD.

I also heard a rumour that the previous Friday Night Special G4500 had its lavatory door cave in on top of the toilet. I'm not sure what to say of that but it may have forced the aforementioned DL3 to run as Sked 8309.

How often does this happen with Greyhound? Why do you think that DL3 ran all the way to SFD? At least the through pax didn't need to get on another bus.

I'm thiniing that NYP-PGH could just go directly to HAR on Interstate-78, ATD-DET could take Interstate-75 to CIN instead of going through NAS, ATD-JAX could just go through Macon, SLD-PHX could just bypass those two minor stop, SFD-LAD would only serve SJO if taking the Coast Route, Central Valley services should not go south to SJO then go across the mountains through Coalinga, and SFD-ARC could just go north across the Golden Gate Bridge and make a stop in Novato.

To replace the lost stops, just add ACY-PGH expresses, DLD-DET, more ATD-CHD, a MEM-MID, make ATD-NOD stop ot CLG, make the SLD-KCD stop at Lambert Field, make PHX-LVG stop at Glendale then run strainght to Kingman instead of detouring through Flagstaff, SJO would still be served by SFD-LAD Coast Route schedules, and the OAK pax could connect to ARC through SFD. Not that complicated if you think about it.
Most of the examples you cited are run as they are, because the schedule department determined that to serve the most traffic on the route, the stops were made as shown.

Where there are multiple trips on a route, some variances are made. For example on table 202--New York to Pittsburgh and beyond, most of the trips operate via Philadelphia and Harrisburg, and some other intermediate points, However, there is one schedule that operates via Easton and Allentown, to serve that market, (and that one then goes local via State College and Altoona), and there is a night express that does use I-78 also, but makes only a highway rest stop between New York and Pittsburgh.

Anyway, I heard something really weird happened at the Greyhound station yesterday, the DEN-RNO through schedule 1347 was apparently dispatched by OSC to run as the connecting schedule 8309 RNO-SFD. So the DL3 arrived here yesterday morning, then immediatly departed again, running through to SFD. There was no tire check or anything, it just got refuelled and sent back onto the road. It's very rare that we have DL3s west of here, and this time the bus basically ran through from DEN to SFD.

I also heard a rumour that the previous Friday Night Special G4500 had its lavatory door cave in on top of the toilet. I'm not sure what to say of that but it may have forced the aforementioned DL3 to run as Sked 8309.

How often does this happen with Greyhound? Why do you think that DL3 ran all the way to SFD? At least the through pax didn't need to get on another bus.
I am sorry to see the lack of thru schedules, with no change of bus, that was the hallmark of both Greyhound and Trailways systems back when....

You used to be able to go from coast to coast, and border to border over numerous and interesting thru routes. Often these thru routes were pool runs over one or more independent carrier's, and you sometimes got to see 'exotic' equipment on these runs, far from their home territory.

The reason for not running this way any longer, besides the fact that most long haul passengers fly these days, (even budget traveler's), is that there is but a shadow of the former network of maintenance bases that once were, and they cut all or most trips that do pass thru one of these. For example, between New York and points south, almost all trips require a change of buses at Richmond. Years ago, it was just the opposite.....

Most of the examples you cited are run as they are, because the schedule department determined that to serve the most traffic on the route, the stops were made as shown.

Where there are multiple trips on a route, some variances are made. For example on table 202--New York to Pittsburgh and beyond, most of the trips operate via Philadelphia and Harrisburg, and some other intermediate points, However, there is one schedule that operates via Easton and Allentown, to serve that market, (and that one then goes local via State College and Altoona), and there is a night express that does use I-78 also, but makes only a highway rest stop between New York and Pittsburgh.
There's a schedule department? What's it called? I didn't realize there was a specific schedule department.

I am sorry to see the lack of thru schedules, with no change of bus, that was the hallmark of both Greyhound and Trailways systems back when....

You used to be able to go from coast to coast, and border to border over numerous and interesting thru routes. Often these thru routes were pool runs over one or more independent carrier's, and you sometimes got to see 'exotic' equipment on these runs, far from their home territory.

The reason for not running this way any longer, besides the fact that most long haul passengers fly these days, (even budget traveler's), is that there is but a shadow of the former network of maintenance bases that once were, and they cut all or most trips that do pass thru one of these. For example, between New York and points south, almost all trips require a change of buses at Richmond. Years ago, it was just the opposite.....
Thanks, I do realize that. I just wanted to ask, why would Greyhound dispatch two connecting buses as a through bus? Seems bizzare to me. I've never gotten a connection replaced with a through bus.

There's a schedule department? What's it called? I didn't realize there was a specific schedule department.

Thanks, I do realize that. I just wanted to ask, why would Greyhound dispatch two connecting buses as a through bus? Seems bizzare to me. I've never gotten a connection replaced with a through bus.
To my way of thinking, it is not bizarre, but logical to run a bus from Denver all the way to San Francisco, as they used to do, rather than terminate it in the unllikely point of Reno. Where a bus goes next, once its run is 'complete', could be anywhere that is in its pool territory. That they ran it 'thru; in the case you cited, was just coincidental, but worked out well.

Once upon a time, Continental Trailways operated their buses on a series of planned trips, in a scheduled operation, that allowed savings on licensing expenses....did not need so many mult-plated vehicles to cover a certain territory, and also, buses received very good maintenance, as they were assigned a 'home-shop' in their pool. Monthly mileages were all planned out in advance, and pool reciprocity was easier to coordinate.

To my way of thinking, it is not bizarre, but logical to run a bus from Denver all the way to San Francisco, as they used to do, rather than terminate it in the unllikely point of Reno. Where a bus goes next, once its run is 'complete', could be anywhere that is in its pool territory. That they ran it 'thru; in the case you cited, was just coincidental, but worked out well. Once upon a time, Continental Trailways operated their buses on a series of planned trips, in a scheduled operation, that allowed savings on licensing expenses....did not need so many mult-plated vehicles to cover a certain territory, and also, buses received very good maintenance, as they were assigned a 'home-shop' in their pool. Monthly mileages were all planned out in advance, and pool reciprocity was easier to coordinate.
I'm pretty sure that DL3 was assigned the All-48-States ADA pool, so pretty much anywhere is in its pool territory. They all have only Texas plates now, no multi-plated units. There was really not much else it could have run that day, either going to SFD or, as usual, departing back to DEN in the evening.

I know they will still have to get off for servicing and refueling, like at every long service stop on a through run, but will they just be told the get back on the bus using a Reboarding Pass? Or will they need to use their original ticket for 8309, and thus having to lub their belonging off then back on?

Another weird thing happened today on the Greyhound Ticket Center, the Advance Purchase fares have been massively hiked, but the Web Only fares have been lowered to the previous Advance Purchase rates. So RNO-SFD was $10 for Advance, $12 Web Only, now it's $50 for Advance, but only $10 Web Only.

Any idea what's going on with the fares?

BTW, I finally managed to join GTE.

Edit: About the fares, I've noticed that they have gone lopsided throughout the system. Dallas-Los Angeles is $129 Advance Purchase, $95 Web Only. That's good news if you're riding that route. I'm not sure if it's still a G4500 primary, if so that would be the longest regular G4500 route at up to 38 hours.

I'm going to be riding some G4500s soon, I've noticed from previous ride that the bad smells seem to come from two locations, a vent at the front of the bus below the windshield and the lavatory at the back of the bus. The bad smells don't appear to come from the Air-Con vent below the passenger windows.

I can understand the lavatory problem when the latch on the door break, leaking the bad smells, but I don't know what's on the other end of the front vent. Someone wrote that the spare tire is behind the bumper, could that be the issue?

Another bus fan here spotted a D4505 going to SFD. This is getting really weird. Prehaps the G4500s are getting send for rebuilds. Or maybe the rumour is true, the G4500s don't fit CA Emissions so they're getting kicked out.

Hey Swadian-

I'm not a Greyhound rider... But the Fresno station is right by my office.

I've noticed that over the past few weeks the station has been seeing mostly D4505 buses with very few G4500 buses.

Same story when I see buses out on the 5 or the 99.

Hey Swadian-

I've noticed that over the past few weeks the station has been seeing mostly D4505 buses with very few G4500 buses.

Hey Ricky, very interesting. I'm surprised that you know the bus types even though you don't ride Greyhound. I went to the bus station this afternoon after work and I found a single bus sitting there, 102DL3 #85781, which was bought from Carolina Trailways. Then D4505 #86551 pulled in from SFD as Schedule 8306. That was a shock, since I've never heard of a D4505 running to SFD anytime recently. I noticed the number of the bus, it was a brand spanking new D4505! Talked to the driver, she says it just got delivered at the start of October. They had originally ordered 130 of them (stated in a news release), but apparently they took some more options without telling the media, otherwise the numbers would have stopped at #86536.

Talking more with the driver, she says that bus was sold out along most of the route, some pax got off at SAC and more piled on which packed all the seats, then a dozen more tried to board at RSV and one person was let on to sit right behind the driver, which is usually off-limits to pax. Then someone else managed to squeeze in at Colfax when another guy got out. Good business for Greyhound, that's for sure. Lot's of people coming over to gamble. Too bad I did not have my camera.

Now with the flood of new buses hitting the highways, I'm even more excited for my trip to Oakland next week. This is a LOT of new buses and Greyhound need every single one, because the G4500s are going out for rebuilds and business is booming. Packed buses everywhere you look.

Important Greyhound Lines schedule change: The Los Angeles-Mojave-Las Vegas route has been discountinued. Table 554, which previously displayed that route, now displays only Los Angeles-Palmdale local service, stopping at North Hollywood and San Fernando.

Please check the following site for updates to bus service: http://www.aibra.org/pdf/updates.html

Edit: Despite the above cutback, Greyhound has increased service elsewhere with their recent very large order of buses. They have reintroduced the Chicago-Dallas Limited service, once daily and a extra around the weekend. One Richmond-Dallas sked has been cut back to Memphis, but there are still two daily sked on that route plus the Cleveland-Dallas.

Greyhound has also introduced two twice-weekly schedules running Atlanta-Jacksonville-Miami. These buses bypass Orlando, running along the coast. They may be increased to daily service if their is high demand.

I am glad to see Greyhound introducing a large number of premium long-distance services. This year alone they have introduced the New York-Miami, New York-Atlanta, and Chicago-Dallas. I hope to see more soon as more new buses arrive. They might be preparing for next year's 100th Anniversary after all.

Hey Swadian-

Hey Ricky, very interesting. I'm surprised that you know the bus types even though you don't ride Greyhound.
While I certainly love train travel the most... I'm a fan of all forms of transportation (planes, trains, automobiles and buses).

It's pretty easy to tell the difference from the rear end. The new D4505 have a much more modern look with LED taillights and a square air intake.

I can't tell the difference between the 102DL3 and the G4500.

What I have noticed is that some of the older models are still in use... But the D4505 buses seem to out number them 3 to 1.

Hope that helps!

Hey Swadian-

Hey Ricky, very interesting. I'm surprised that you know the bus types even though you don't ride Greyhound.
While I certainly love train travel the most... I'm a fan of all forms of transportation (planes, trains, automobiles and buses).

It's pretty easy to tell the difference from the rear end. The new D4505 have a much more modern look with LED taillights and a square air intake.

I can't tell the difference between the 102DL3 and the G4500.

What I have noticed is that some of the older models are still in use... But the D4505 buses seem to out number them 3 to 1.

Hope that helps!
Hmm, I think you made a mistake. The ones with the old tail end that has a big grille in the middle is the 102DL3, not the G4500.

I found some pictures. Here's a G4500 rear end: http://www.railfanwindow.com/gallery2/d/111200-2/DSC_0622.jpg. Here's a D4505 rear end: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5282/5199360349_944a471f81_z.jpg. And an 102DL3 rear end: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29997762@N05/5877505262/.

I usually don't look at the rear end, it's easier to look at the nose. If it looks like a shovel, then it's a 102DL3. Very rounded at the top, then a D4505. Looks like a shark, then a G4500. Has a bubble at the top, then an X3-45.

I rode a G4500 to Oakland (#7076) and a D4505 back. The D4505 was brand new, #86549. I'll upload some pictures soon. I was told by Greyhound Security not to take pictures of the buses when I'm in the Greyhound station, but I can take pictures when I'm on the street. Weird, never heard of this. Have no idea why.

I didn't make a mistake on my identification... but I didn't do a great job describing them! Haha.
The D4505 has that big flat area with a square air intake (I think that's what it is) on the top of the rear (on your picture, there is the unit number on the right side of the intake). I only see the coaches from the back because of layout of the station.

I have seen a TON of the D4505 coaches the past few weeks here in Fresno(I would guess about 60-70% of the traffic). They're good looking coaches!
The rest have been 102DL3 coaches (20-30%) with a few Crucero and Americanos coaches thrown in there. I can't recall seeing many of the G4500 coaches.

Hope that helps!

Oh and for your reading pleasure here's the restriction on photography from the "Traveling By Bus" section of the Greyhound website:

On Board Restrictions

For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.

Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited. For your safety and the safety of those around you, passengers should remain seated while the bus is in motion. Audio, video and camera equipment should be stored with other carry-ons when not in use.

No dogs, cats, birds, or other animals will be transported. However, a service dog, trained for the purpose of accompanying a disabled person, will be permitted to travel with the disabled person at no additional charge.

I didn't make a mistake on my identification... but I didn't do a great job describing them! Haha.

The D4505 has that big flat area with a square air intake (I think that's what it is) on the top of the rear (on your picture, there is the unit number on the right side of the intake). I only see the coaches from the back because of layout of the station.

I have seen a TON of the D4505 coaches the past few weeks here in Fresno(I would guess about 60-70% of the traffic). They're good looking coaches!

The rest have been 102DL3 coaches (20-30%) with a few Crucero and Americanos coaches thrown in there. I can't recall seeing many of the G4500 coaches.

Hope that helps!

Oh and for your reading pleasure here's the restriction on photography from the "Traveling By Bus" section of the Greyhound website:

On Board Restrictions

Photography, video or audio recording of Greyhound personnel, equipment or procedures is strictly prohibited. For your safety and the safety of those around you, passengers should remain seated while the bus is in motion. Audio, video and camera equipment should be stored with other carry-ons when not in use.

Yikes, that sucks! I've taken pictures in the station before but apparently I can't do it anymore. The drivers are usually OK if you take a picture inside the bus, it's the stations that are the problem. No one cares when you're in the bus, on the street, or at a rest stop etc.

Good to see those D4505s, the G4500s are probably all going for rebuilds. Los Angeles used to be "Gina Central", there were over a hundred of those based from the LAD garage. I guess not no more. IIRC, LAD was the first garage to get them back in 2001.

I did see a 102DL3 when I was leaving for Oakland, it was #6330 that was just pulling into the station. Our bus #7076 got delayed for the connection. Our driver said that bus was coming from "the East Coast" so it must have been the New York-Denver dispatched through to Reno. Railiner might know if #6330 ran in the East anytime recently. Greyhound is apparently doing lots of these through dispatching recently.

On the System Timetable I just saw that Schedule 1247 is supposed to operate Orlando-Dallas. But when I try to book there is no through service for that route. I eneded up finding that 1247 actually runs Orlando-Houston. This is confusing, why would Greyhound mislabel their timetable to confuse everybody?

Swadian-

Made a couple more observations for you:

While taking a trip down to LA on Sunday I saw a whopping 6 Greyhounds (5 D4505 and 1 refurbished 102DL3) on the 99 and I-5. Curiously on my trip back north on Monday I only spotted one Greyhound, a D4505.

Also the last few days when I've driven by the Fresno Greyhound station... I've probably seen 12 D4505 coaches sitting at the station since Monday and just one 102DL3.

Seems like the west coast is finally being treated to the nice new and refurbished equipment.

Swadian-

Made a couple more observations for you:

While taking a trip down to LA on Sunday I saw a whopping 6 Greyhounds (5 D4505 and 1 refurbished 102DL3) on the 99 and I-5. Curiously on my trip back north on Monday I only spotted one Greyhound, a D4505.

Also the last few days when I've driven by the Fresno Greyhound station... I've probably seen 12 D4505 coaches sitting at the station since Monday and just one 102DL3.

Seems like the west coast is finally being treated to the nice new and refurbished equipment.
Hey, thanks for spotting! I don't know where Railiner went, he hasn't been active in a while. Hopefully all is well over in New York for him.

Greyhound is probably rebuilding the G4500s now, that's why they don't operate much anymore. When they're rebuilt, I really expect equipment complaints to drop heavily and OTP should improve greatly. I did see a G4500 in Sacramento, I posted a picture on Flickr. Not sure where that one was going, but taking what you say, it's probably going to Portland.

Back