Greetings from Coastal Georgia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I have always loved trains...I get it from my father who traveled exclusively by train until he married my mother....who owned a car...I am a retired senior, and it has been many years since I traveled by train. I grew up in Central PA and went to school in New York City. Every vacation, I went home by train, NYC to Lewistown and back. Mostly pre-Amtrak. I did some Amtrak travel also, until I left NYC in 1974. Since then, my only passenger train travel has been on trains in Europe, where I lived for three years in the 70's. Like Garry (Diecasaussie), whom I recognize from a cruise forum, most of my travel has been cruising, but I have been considering traveling cross-country by train to our next venture...PHL to San Diego. I travel with my (one year) older sister, who lives in PA. WE did a long car trip from PA to the Grand Canyon and back in July/Aug. this year, and tucked in a ride on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. really enjoyed that ride...

I have a guilty little secret...I live on the main line of the CSX and drive a few miles down the road and sit in a parking lot to watch for the Silver Meteor and the Autotrain to go through. Northbound. Their on time record seems to be abysmal. They go through southbound much too early for me...Looking forward to reading, and asking a few questions...Carolyn

Welcome Carolyn. Have you considered repeating your old New York - Lewistown trip? It can still be done on the Pennsylvanian, and is a pretty nice ride. Unfortunately a single day round trip is not possible. So one has to find somewhere to stay overnight around Lewistown.

I have spent time in Huntingdon and Tyrone just exploring the are, but have never stopped in Lewistown yet. It is a beautiful area in the Juniata Valley.

Welcome Carolyn. Have you considered repeating your old New York - Lewistown trip? It can still be done on the Pennsylvanian, and is a pretty nice ride. Unfortunately a single day round trip is not possible. So one has to find somewhere to stay overnight around Lewistown.

I have spent time in Huntingdon and Tyrone just exploring the are, but have never stopped in Lewistown yet. It is a beautiful area in the Juniata Valley.

My sister lives in Macungie, and we grew up in State College. It might be possible to do the trip from PHL to Lewistown, and have one of her daughters meet us there, and go on to State College for Arts Fest in July. Unfortunately, the daughter who would be available has trouble navigating, even if she has been driven over the route numerous times...CJ

"Like Garry (Diecasaussie), whom I recognize from a cruise forum, most of my travel has been cruising, but I have been considering traveling cross-country by train to our next venture...PHL to San Diego. I travel with my (one year) older sister, who lives in PA. WE did a long car trip from PA to the Grand Canyon and back in July/Aug. this year, and tucked in a ride on the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. really enjoyed that ride...

I have a guilty little secret...I live on the main line of the CSX and drive a few miles down the road and sit in a parking lot to watch for the Silver Meteor and the Autotrain to go through. Northbound. Their on time record seems to be abysmal. They go through southbound much too early for me...Looking forward to reading, and asking a few questions"...Carolyn
Hi Carolyn,

Can I ask on which cruise ship did our paths cross?

Garry :lol:

Garry, we haven't crossed paths except through Robyn on Invincible...CJ
Hi Carolyn Jane, so you would probably also have known Liz?

Robyn was in Melbourne last week but unfortunately we weren't able to catch up.

Yes, I met Liz when Invincible did a one day cruise to nowhere on NCL Spirit in 2007. Then I sailed with her on Oosterdam in 2009, 32 days San Diego to Rome, plus three days in Rome at the end. Over two years, and we still miss her. CJ

Yes, I met Liz when Invincible did a one day cruise to nowhere on NCL Spirit in 2007. Then I sailed with her on Oosterdam in 2009, 32 days San Diego to Rome, plus three days in Rome at the end. Over two years, and we still miss her. CJ
We met Liz and Robyn on a 3 day cruise "Meet the Queens" cruise out of Sydney when QE2 & QM2 docked there together. Also acted as their tour guides in Melbourne when they called in on their round Australia cruise on Sapphire Princess. Have to confess, I haven't been back on Invincible for a long time - now lurking mainly on Cruise Critic

We met Liz and Robyn on a 3 day cruise "Meet the Queens" cruise out of Sydney when QE2 & QM2 docked there together. Also acted as their tour guides in Melbourne when they called in on their round Australia cruise on Sapphire Princess. Have to confess, I haven't been back on Invincible for a long time - now lurking mainly on Cruise Critic

I am on Cruise Critic a lot, too...As Essiesmom. CJ

Back