Greetings and Saluatations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do all the photos, You Tube clips,etc. show the high trestles most of the time don't have sides or fences to keep trains from taking a huge fall? Myron. Ohio.
Because a fence wouldn't stop a train from falling off a bridge. Even a very strong side might not stop it either, although it would have a better chance.

However the chance of a train falling off a bridge is next to nothing. You're far more likely to have a car accident than to be in a train that falls off a bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do all the photos, You Tube clips,etc. show the high trestles most of the time don't have sides or fences to keep trains from taking a huge fall? Myron. Ohio.
Kinda reminds me of an old science class question~ what has more momentum? a speeding bullet or a train traveling 5 mph? You can stop the bullet with relative ease but I wouldn't get in front of any train at any speed.

I've been watching with interest the progress of the steam engine SP4449 special. What is the strange thing on the front of the steam engine that looks like an eye moving around as the train comes toward you? Also Amtrak and BNSF have done some long range planning a while back. At anytime there are so many BNSF trains. Plus at least three consists of the Empire Builder running. Plus the Christmas Carol Train and the SP4449. With so many single track running areas with few passing sidings how can Amtrak and BNSF do it without the danger of collisions of trains? :unsure:

I've been watching with interest the progress of the steam engine SP4449 special. What is the strange thing on the front of the steam engine that looks like an eye moving around as the train comes toward you?
That's the ditch light, to make the train more noticeable. (YOU noticed it! :D )

Also Amtrak and BNSF have done some long range planning a while back. At anytime there are so many BNSF trains. Plus at least three consists of the Empire Builder running. Plus the Christmas Carol Train and the SP4449. With so many single track running areas with few passing sidings how can Amtrak and BNSF do it without the danger of collisions of trains? :unsure:
By radio contact with other trains and dispatchers. That's why the train may stop at a siding for 40-45 minutes,, even though no other trains are nearby!

I've been watching with interest the progress of the steam engine SP4449 special. What is the strange thing on the front of the steam engine that looks like an eye moving around as the train comes toward you?

I noticed that "eye" too when I spent a good portion of July 3rd chasing the train in 100 degree heat, especially the third stop I made to videotape it. That was very interesting, to say the least!

Back