Greetings and Saluatations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey there, the name's Tom and I hail from the Buckeye State, been big into trains since I was a kid but I have only recently gotten back into them (work / schooling had sort of drifted me away). This January I'm taking the entire length of the CZ from Chicago out to Emeryville, then from there I'm going up to Arcata, CA behind the redwood curtain :) . Last time I rode was ~2000 out to the Grand Canyon (Empire Builder I think it was), I'm looking forward to seeing the changes (or lack thereof?) that have occurred since I last traveled with Amtrak!

I used to have a little HO set in the spare bedroom, and for a while I was big into 7 1/2" gauge trains at the local club (but as I said earlier, work / school unfortunately got in the way of that)

Glad to be on board! No pun intended ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cincinnati, about 10 minutes away from Union Terminal :)
OK, Same state, different state of mind. I always thought Cincy should belong in Kentucky! :lol:

As you can see from my info, I'm from Cleveland.

FYI, if it was the Grand Canyon in 2000, then is was likely the Southwest Chief you took, not the EB.

Cincinnati, about 10 minutes away from Union Terminal :)
FYI, if it was the Grand Canyon in 2000, then is was likely the Southwest Chief you took, not the EB.

That sounds right, now that I think about it. Are there any big changes since '00 that I'll really notice? Solid gold toilets perhaps? :lol:
Don't know. I only started riding in late 2006.

I guarantee there are no golden toilets though. :blink:

Welcome and glad to have you! :)

Last time I rode was ~2000 out to the Grand Canyon (Empire Builder I think it was), I'm looking forward to seeing the changes (or lack thereof?) that have occurred since I last traveled with Amtrak!
Big changes! Because the Empire Builder travels 1,000 miles farther north! :D The route to near the Grand Canyon was (and is) the Southwest Chief!

I'm sad :( when ever I'm OFF board! :lol:

Havent been on the Cardinal yet but the Cinncinnati(spelling?)station is pretty impressive,have they

gotten it going better, the trains are there in the middle of the night and its sort of spooky!Also did you ride the steam

train to the Grand Canyon, thats on my "Bucket List" when I ride the SWC!Welcome!!!BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the steam train to the Grand Canyon, thats on my "Bucket List"
Too late! :( I hear they don't use steam anymore (only diesel) and I also hear that they laid off all their steam locomotive mechanics - so I don't think they will use steam any time soon! :(
: :eek: another lesson in "dont put off what you really want to do until its too late".Guess all the steamers are slowly going away due to age/cost/the economy etc. The Hill Coiuntry Flyer in Austin has been

rebuilding their steamer for several years with promises of "soon". The Texas State RailRoad is also been

a ping-pong ball with politicos in Texas, its a pretty neat ride!I know there are several in the West, get em while they are

still there folks!!! :) :) :)

Hey there, the name's Tom and I hail from the Buckeye State, been big into trains since I was a kid but I have only recently gotten back into them (work / schooling had sort of drifted me away). This January I'm taking the entire length of the CZ from Chicago out to Emeryville, then from there I'm going up to Arcata, CA behind the redwood curtain :) . Last time I rode was ~2000 out to the Grand Canyon (Empire Builder I think it was), I'm looking forward to seeing the changes (or lack thereof?) that have occurred since I last traveled with Amtrak!
I used to have a little HO set in the spare bedroom, and for a while I was big into 7 1/2" gauge trains at the local club (but as I said earlier, work / school unfortunately got in the way of that)

Welcome - I'm a Tom, too, just down the road (I-71) north of Lexington.

Glad you have found the forum.

Tom

My wife and I are taking a western adventure on the Empire Builder. Where in the consist are sleeper cars 0731 and 2830 lin their respective trains? Where are these cars in relationship to the dining and sightseer cars? Myron. Ohio.

The 731 sleeping car will be near the front of the train. Seperating you from the engines should be the baggage car and the crew dorm. You'll have to walk through the 730 sleeper to reach the dining car. To reach the Sightseer, you'll also have to walk through 3 to 4 coach cars.

The 2830 sleeper will be the last car on the train from Portland to Minneapolis/St. Paul, at which time a coach will be attached behind the sleeper from there to Chicago. You'll have to walk though 2 to 3 coaches to reach the Sightseer, and then 3 or 4 more coaches to reach the dining car.

The 731 sleeping car will be near the front of the train. Seperating you from the engines should be the baggage car and the crew dorm. You'll have to walk through the 730 sleeper to reach the dining car. To reach the Sightseer, you'll also have to walk through 3 to 4 coach cars.
The 2830 sleeper will be the last car on the train from Portland to Minneapolis/St. Paul, at which time a coach will be attached behind the sleeper from there to Chicago. You'll have to walk though 2 to 3 coaches to reach the Sightseer, and then 3 or 4 more coaches to reach the dining car.
Alan - Will we be disturbed by the engine horn sounding and engine noise in general in the 731 sleeper car?

Alan - Will we be disturbed by the engine horn sounding and engine noise in general in the 731 sleeper car?
Unlikely that you'll actually hear the engine itself, in part because of the distance between you and the engines and in part because modern engines just aren't all that loud.

The horn you'll probably hear a bit, especially if it's blown while going around a curve. But it shouldn't be that loud to the point where you can't sleep or hold a conversation. The horn only blows on the first engine, so you'll have two cars and the second engine between you and the horn.

I just got back on the 831 and the horn didn't affect me at all. I was in the #9 roomette closest to the front of train. What WAS nice is the attendant allowed me to use the upstairs shower on the transdorm just on the other side of the vestibule!!! Very convenient!!!

RF

Unlikely that you'll actually hear the engine itself, in part because of the distance between you and the engines and in part because modern engines just aren't all that loud.

The horn you'll probably hear a bit, especially if it's blown while going around a curve. But it shouldn't be that loud to the point where you can't sleep or hold a conversation. The horn only blows on the first engine, so you'll have two cars and the second engine between you and the horn.
Hey thanks for car info. Going out(7) we'll be in roomette 5 and comiing home (28) in roomette 6. What direction will we see from each and what will we see from these roomettes and how will the day and night effect what we see?

There is no way to know which direction the car will be running and therefore there is no way to know if you'll be on the north side or the south side of the train. The car can run with what's called the A end first or it can run with the B end first. It just comes down to switching and other factors.

At night you probably won't see much at all, except the lights of a passing town. If you turn off the lights in your room and if there is a full moon, then you may be able to see a bit more. During the day, the sights will be many from wheat fields to mountains, to streams and rivers, to wild life, along with many cities and towns. You may find the Empire Builder Route Guide to be a bit helpful in what to look for as you travel along.

You may also find the OTOL Hints & Tips helpful in giving you some idea of what to expect on the train.

Ps. The Hints & Tips will see a major revison posted within the next week or so. Therefore you may wish to check back in the new future for some new info.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) How early do sleeper passengers board the Empire Builder in Chicago and Spokane? 2) How about the showers? Do they also provide wash clothes or do we need to bring our own? 3) Do you get to shower often?

1) In Chicago, maybe a half an hour or so before departure they'll send you out to the train. That assumes that you are inside the Metropolitan Lounge at that time. If you are sitting outside the lounge in the North Gate area, then probably only 10 to 15 minutes before departure.

In Spokane, you can't board until the train actually gets there. It doesn't originate there, like it does in Chicago. I'm not sure if they let you board before they combine the Portland and Seattle sections, but my guess is that they don't. So you'll probably be boarding about 5 to 10 minutes before departure at most.

2) Amtrak provides wash cloths, hand towels, and bath towels, as well as soap. The bath towels, which aren't huge and thick, are found inside the shower usually or just outside on the luggage rack. Soap should always be inside the shower changing room. It varies by attendant. Hand towels and wash cloths are found in your room. If you have a bedroom, and not a roomette, then your bath towels will be found inside the shower/toilet unit.

3) There is no official limit on how many times you can take a shower, but unless you have a Bedroom, please keep in mind that others want to use the shower too. Additionally, keep in mind that you are on a train. There isn't an unlimited supply of water, much less hot water. If the car runs out of water, then then no one will be able to shower, wash their hands, or even flush the toilet.

It's been my experience in Spokane that they do combine the Portland and Seattle sections before they allow anyone to board. It seems to me it's about 15 or so minutes before departure.
What about taking pictures of the passing scenery? What speed should you be snapping these and what about avoiding window reflections?

It's been my experience in Spokane that they do combine the Portland and Seattle sections before they allow anyone to board. It seems to me it's about 15 or so minutes before departure.
What about taking pictures of the passing scenery? What speed should you be snapping these and what about avoiding window reflections?

For taking pictures of the scenery, judging from some of the photos I've taken from a moving train, I'm not the person to ask :lol: but a shutter speed of 1/250th per second is the one I hear about from those who know much more about those sorts of things than I. And as for avoiding reflections, I've found the best way is to hold your camera as close to the window as possible.

For taking pictures of the scenery, judging from some of the photos I've taken from a moving train, I'm not the person to ask :lol: but a shutter speed of 1/250th per second is the one I hear about from those who know much more about those sorts of things than I. And as for avoiding reflections, I've found the best way is to hold your camera as close to the window as possible.
Very fast shutter speed, pan the camera with the area being photographed as it goes by, and stay out of the SSL. Those windows, even up close, are terrible for taking pictures.

Why do all the photos, You Tube clips,etc. show the high trestles most of the time don't have sides or fences to keep trains from taking a huge fall? Myron. Ohio.

Back