Great North American Train Trip - Help Wanted

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PegB

Train Attendant
First time poster here. Little old lady. Well seasoned traveller, but not on long haul North American trains.

On my bucket list the first entry is: Cross North America By Train. A couple of weeks ago I decided it was time to check off that entry. After all, I am not getting any younger
smile.gif

All the tickets have been purchased and overnite hotels reserved. Every trip is in coach - except for the Jasper to Toronto segment. I have a tiny roomette for that leg. I figure that 26 hours in coach on a train can not be any worse than 16 hours in steerage on a plane.

I travel very light. A small backpack and large purse is all I ever take anywhere for any length trip.

Now you know a little about me. Here is the trip.

• Subway to Alexandria Train Station
  • Train-up for Chicago Friday July 20 - the Cardinal route
  • Spend Saturday and Sunday in Chicago
  • Train-up for East Glacier Park Village Monday July 23
  • Arrive in East Glacier late Tuesday July 24
  • Spend Wednesday, Thursday, Friday in the middle of nowhere Montana
  • Train-up late Saturday July 28 heading to Seattle
  • Arrive Seattle mid-morning Sunday July 29.
  • Amtrak Bus-up to Vancouver afternoon Sunday July 29.
  • Spend Monday July 30 in Chinatown in Vancouver
  • Train-up again 11 PM Tuesday July 31 head to Jasper.
  • Arrive Jasper late afternoon Wednesday August 1.
  • Thrusday, Friday in Jasper.
  • Train-up Saturday August 4 at 5:30 PM heading for Toronto.
  • Sunday, Monday on the train.
  • Arrive Toronto 9AM Tuesday August 7.
  • Megabus-up Leave Toronto 11:30PM Tuesday for DC.
  • Arrive DC Union Station 11:30AM Wednesday August 8.
  • Subway home. Shower. Sleep in a bed.

This is the point where I start having reservations about the trip. So, anyone have any important tips/hints for an old woman. I am too ignorant to even know what to worry about. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am too ignorant to even know what to worry about.
Then why worry?

If you're a seasoned traveler then taking Amtrak should be a piece of cake.

Save the worrying for when the next federal budget comes along. :help:

The good news is that it looks like they cleared Going to the Sun Pass just in time for you.

East Glacier is close to some of the most beautiful places in North America. Ride a Grinder to get a feel for the place, they are a ton of fun.

Amtrak is getting better on being on time and the staff is harried but pleasant the majority of the time. The food in the diner is ok to good, seldom great. If they offer chili, run. The steaks are fairly good, french toast is good too when they have it.

The sight seer lounge is phenomenal! Bring a camera and face away from the sun so the photographs will look a bit better. If you are in coach bring a travel pillow and a small light blanket of your own for sleeping. Bring snacks like nuts and jerky, plenty of books or a well loaded kindle, the usual suspects basically.

Sounds like a great trip! I bet you are hooked on train travel, two days after you get back. The last day of the trip you might be wondering if you want to ever do it again, though...

My stolen definition of adventure is to be wet, cold, miserable and far from home. By those criteria, Amtrak is no adventure! But it is a good time!

Do yourself a favor and inquire about upgrading to sleeper on some of your overnight runs (you can do it on board if space is available, and on-board upgrades are usually sold as cheap as it comes). I have taken many overnight trips in coach, and about a dozen overnight trips in sleeper. There have been many times after a coach trip that I wished, "Boy, I sure would have liked to have taken a sleeper." There has never yet been a time after a sleeper trip when I wished, "You know, I really should have gone coach."

When Ziv tells you to ride a Grinder in East Glacier, I think that he is referring to the Red Bus "Jammer" tours sold by Glacier Park, Inc. In which case I agree with him wholeheartedly. My father and I took one of those tours when we spent three nights at Glacier Park last year, and it was some of the best money we ever spent. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and the up-close encounter with the flora and fauna (including one very close-up sighting of a young grizzly bear) was superb. DEFINITELY book one of these tours if you can find space.

Do yourself a favor and inquire about upgrading to sleeper on some of your overnight runs (you can do it on board if space is available, and on-board upgrades are usually sold as cheap as it comes). I have taken many overnight trips in coach, and about a dozen overnight trips in sleeper. There have been many times after a coach trip that I wished, "Boy, I sure would have liked to have taken a sleeper." There has never yet been a time after a sleeper trip when I wished, "You know, I really should have gone coach."

When Ziv tells you to ride a Grinder in East Glacier, I think that he is referring to the Red Bus "Jammer" tours sold by Glacier Park, Inc. In which case I agree with him wholeheartedly. My father and I took one of those tours when we spent three nights at Glacier Park last year, and it was some of the best money we ever spent. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and the up-close encounter with the flora and fauna (including one very close-up sighting of a young grizzly bear) was superb. DEFINITELY book one of these tours if you can find space.

Oh no! It is the Jammer, not the Grinder! LOL And the name is supposedly due to the transmission noises, not to the quality of the ride.

Shaking my head in shame...

The story about how they chose the color of the vehicle is worth half the price of admission.

And though I have never paid to upgrade to a roomette here in the US, I have paid to upgrade to sleepers overseas and have loved it.

;-)

Oh no! It is the Jammer, not the Grinder! LOL And the name is supposedly due to the transmission noises, not to the quality of the ride.

Shaking my head in shame...
Yes, but "properly" the term Jammers refers to the drivers, who used to "jam" those gears in the manual transmissions the buses used to have while ascending and descending the steep mountain roads. However, the antique buses have all been completely rebuilt from the frame up and are now equipped with modern automatic transmissions. The drivers are still called "Jammers", though.

I am not sure I know the definition of old lady, but I am 59+, and would not want to go cross country in coach. I have traveled across the US 5 times and loved each time - always in a sleeper. I traveled from Toronto to Vancouver in a sleeper last year during the winter - the scenery was magnificent.

I agree with the other posters about the red bus jammer tours - well worth the money.

Enjoy your trip! You appear to be much more adventurous than I am. ( you go, girl!!!) :lol: :lol:

Your traveling too light. A small backpack and large purse is not enough. You need several more big and heavy bags. Of course you said that your a "little old lady", so now your going to need some help with those bags. :blink: Why yes that would be me. :) Don't worry I am big enough to get it done, and small enough that you will not notice me. I will sleep at your feet like a lost puppy, and be available when you need me, or out of sight when you don't.

:giggle: Ok some real advise. Your going to have a blast, enjoy your trip. Yes, that all I got.

I would also recommend upgrading to a sleeper as much as possible. Nobody has suggested to check out Amsnag, although the URL is really weird for confusing reasons. If you do not have any specific questions, then I have no idea what else I can do to help.

edit: error

Nobody has suggested to check out Amsnag, although the URL is really weird for confusing reasons
That's weird, I didn't think that amsnag.net would throw too many people off when looking for Amsnag. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

But yes Peg that is a good tool. It will allow you to find which days are going to be the cheapest to upgrade on. But since you have all of your dates booked and set in stone, Amsnag would not be able to do much for you other than tell you the price.

Nobody has suggested to check out Amsnag, although the URL is really weird for confusing reasons
That's weird, I didn't think that amsnag.net would throw too many people off when looking for Amsnag. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

But yes Peg that is a good tool. It will allow you to find which days are going to be the cheapest to upgrade on. But since you have all of your dates booked and set in stone, Amsnag would not be able to do much for you other than tell you the price.
Well, it probably dosen't throw off other people who know it, but the problem is that I don't even know it. The Amsnag problems recently have gotten me extremly confused. I can't find the right Amsnag anywhere I go.

As far as the tickets go, she could also cancel free of charge as long as she has not printed out her ticket and then she could book a cheaper fare.

BTW, Johnny must hate me by now. :blink:

What a great trip you have planned! You have the segments broken up very nicely but you might try to get a room out of Chicago if there are any available. You'd get a good price if they have one. Just be sure to remember to throw a few protein bars and bottles of water in that backpack for a little savings.

Do you have plans for your two full days in Jasper? It is a small village and could be walked thoroughly in about an hour. The surrounding scenery right there is nice, but the really spectacular stuff is out a bit. I would suggest researching small bus day tours, especially along the Icefields Highway to Lake Louise/Banff. Or you could hire a small car, driving is easy in that part of the world. Then you can stop whenever you wish.

Congratulations on getting out there and having your own adventure! Life isn't a rehearsal, as the saying goes...

Jean

Do you have plans for your two full days in Jasper? It is a small village and could be walked thoroughly in about an hour. The surrounding scenery right there is nice, but the really spectacular stuff is out a bit. I would suggest researching small bus day tours, especially along the Icefields Highway to Lake Louise/Banff. Or you could hire a small car, driving is easy in that part of the world. Then you can stop whenever you wish.
I agree with Jean that you should look into some group tours in Jasper. They should provide you with much more information and allow you to extend your non-car reach out a lot farther.

Thanks for all the info. I checked today and all the sleepers seem to be gone at this instant. But, I'll keep looking.

I did take your kind advice and called this afternoon and booked a 8 hour bus tour on the vintage Red Buses in Glacier. As for Jasper, I'll pick up a bus tour there too. And, now this appeals to my 70 year old adventurous side - apparently one can take a motorcycle sidecar tour out of Jasper. Don't think I'd tell my family (who already doubt my sanity) if I book that tour.

I am not too worried about the train food issue. I can survive for 24 hours on Luna Bars and coffee if need be.

On some overseas trains, I have felt compelled to lock my backback to the overhead racks before heading off to the dinner or going to sleep. Is that necessary on Amtrak night trains. And, what about blankets/pillows. Some "tips" seem to say that one should take a blanket to use in coach. Will not jeans and a sweater be warm enough? How cold are the cars anyhow?

Thanks for all the info. I checked today and all the sleepers seem to be gone at this instant. But, I'll keep looking.

I did take your kind advice and called this afternoon and booked a 8 hour bus tour on the vintage Red Buses in Glacier. As for Jasper, I'll pick up a bus tour there too. And, now this appeals to my 70 year old adventurous side - apparently one can take a motorcycle sidecar tour out of Jasper. Don't think I'd tell my family (who already doubt my sanity) if I book that tour.

I am not too worried about the train food issue. I can survive for 24 hours on Luna Bars and coffee if need be.

On some overseas trains, I have felt compelled to lock my backback to the overhead racks before heading off to the dinner or going to sleep. Is that necessary on Amtrak night trains. And, what about blankets/pillows. Some "tips" seem to say that one should take a blanket to use in coach. Will not jeans and a sweater be warm enough? How cold are the cars anyhow?
Comfy jeans and a sweater should definitely be fine, but there is something about a blanket that will always make you feel comfier. The cars should not be that bad

I wouldn't worry about luggage, as long as there are no valuable electronics in it. I've traveled on Amtrak for decades without anything going missing. Of course, who'd want my dirty clothes and tattered paperbacks?

My experience with temperature is that coach cars tend to be overheated in the winter and over-air-conditioned in the summer. Bring layers of clothes, and you'll do fine. I've carried a small fleece blanket occasionally, but on a longer trip I'd rather just put on another layer if I were cold. An eyeshade and earplugs, though, are essential, I'd say.

Be sure to at least breakfast in the dining car. It's the best deal of the day, and I've found it an amusing way to meet people.

when I travel in coach, necessities for me include eye mask, ear plugs, and one of those fleece travel blankets that you can attach to your bags. I also recommend dressing in layers because you just never know how well the heating/cooling will work.

Sounds like a fabulous trip. You will love the Red Jammer tour and I think the sidecar trip sounds awesome. Have fun!

Comfy jeans and a sweater should definitely be fine, but there is something about a blanket that will always make you feel comfier.
"Like"

To have a blanket to pull over your head for just a few more minutes of sleep, can't not be over rated. Roll the blanket up, wrap it around the outside of your pack (horse shoe, old army style), strap or small cords to secure to your pack. I have seen many Amtrak travel on there second trip carrying new blankets with them. Some were cold on there first trip, some just want to hide under the blanket. It's a good thing to carry even if your in a sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back