Great Dome on Downeaster August 13 - September 18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lo2e

Lead Service Attendant
Link: http://www.amtrakdowneaster.com/domecar

The Great Dome Car is available on the following Downeaster trains:

Weekday Train #682, #683, #686, #687

Weekend Train #690, #691, #698, #699
It is not very likely there will be any foliage by September 18th (that usually occurs later in September or early October).

So a few questions...

Any predictions (or solid knowledge) of what the consist will look like? I assume they will put the great dome in the middle, just wondering.

What end would the NPCU cabbage car be on (traveling north)?

What do you think the chances of them pulling the dome car early would be? Website says subject to change without warning. Don't want to get to Boston and learn they pulled the car.

What is food service like on the Downeaster? Is it just a standard cafe car menu? Should I plan on eating real meals before and after the train?

I'll be on the Downeaster a few weeks too late to experience the dome car as I'm headed to and from Portland in early October but I got to ride in it last month on the Pere Marquette.

Last edited by a moderator:
So a few questions...

Any predictions (or solid knowledge) of what the consist will look like? I assume they will put the great dome in the middle, just wondering.

What do you think the chances of them pulling the dome car early would be? Website says subject to change without warning. Don't want to get to Boston and learn they pulled the car.

What is food service like on the Downeaster? Is it just a standard cafe car menu? Should I plan on eating real meals before and after the train?

1. No idea.

2. I would think the cabbage would be on the Boston end so that the locomotive would be outside at North Station, rather than fouling the air inside the station.

3. Anything can happen at any time. That why it says "change without warning." Such a change could happen in the middle of day due to a mechanical problem. Look at the consist in the station and see if the dome is there. If not, get a refund and enjoy the really cool city of Boston.

4. The authority that runs the Downeaster uses a different catering company than Amtrak. I think they use lots of local products. So the menu won't be the same as a typical Amtrak cafe car. I've never ridden the Downeaster, so I can't comment on the quality of the food. If it looks bad, the trip's not that long.

So a few questions...

As is mentioned, the food service is contracted out by the state of Maine. They do have a decent menu from what I've heard and seen, though I haven't actually purchase anything (I've only ridden from North Station to Woburn, twice, when the T was crumbling during the snow last year.) Here's a link for you: https://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/436/357/Downeaster-Cafe-Menu-090415.pdf

Now...Not that I can take time off to go ride this thing and see what it's all about, but I will definitely have to miss an extra job at work to go try it out. I'll kill two birds with one stone, since I've wanted to try out the Downeaster since before I started working here anyway!

Interesting. The last time I rode a dome car across the State of Maine, was on VIA's Atlantic Limited, many years ago.... :cool:

Very unlikely to be placed mid-consist. Usually it rides at one end so it will likely be against the P42 or the NPCU, or one of the two P42s that some sets are running as the Downeaster NPCUs cycle through overhauls. It wouldn't be mid-train as to pass through the dome, it's either up or down stairs to get across the car which is also the reason why the cafe service likely wouldn't be run out of the dome. The lower level cafe is not accessible to those who can't manage stairs.

Very unlikely to be placed mid-consist. Usually it rides at one end so it will likely be against the P42 or the NPCU, or one of the two P42s that some sets are running as the Downeaster NPCUs cycle through overhauls. It wouldn't be mid-train as to pass through the dome, it's either up or down stairs to get across the car which is also the reason why the cafe service likely wouldn't be run out of the dome. The lower level cafe is not accessible to those who can't manage stairs.
I didn't think of this. Given your reminder of it typically sitting on one end of the consist or the other, it'll theoretically be on the end opposite of the cafe, since the Cafe is a split cafe and you shouldn't have Coach passengers walking through Business Class.

Curious they are using it on the less crowded consists. For example, the 685/695 trains are typically sold out, but no Dome (there are 2 trainsets on the Downeaster line). I get the impression they are using more for the boston to maine passengers, rather then the reverse. They are many Boston-to Maine promotions. I think the trains are under capacity in that pattern, so they are trying to market it.

Still, should be pretty cool. I went and booked a trip on the 14th. I guess you would have to first get a normal seat, and wait until your ticket is scanned before moving to the Dome? The early train has the dome, but often has so few people that cars are often closed. That might make the Dome consist tricky.

Also, I've seen the Cabbage at both ends. Not sure North Station really cares.

How could a train have two cabbages one on each end and leave the station?
That's how I read it at first too. Lol I think they mean they have seen it on separate occasions where it's been on the station end, and other times where it's on the far end from the station.

Also, I wouldn't say that North Station doesn't care, because much more often than not, the cabbage car is on the station side. The P42 being on the station end of the platform is unusual. Just like at South Station generally only one train per day parks with the diesel engine facing the station, and that's 448. Every once in a while you will see a commuter rail train with the engine on the station end, but again it's very rare.

How could a train have two cabbages one on each end and leave the station?
Lol. Sorry about that.

When I commuted into boston on the Downeaster, I'd say that 90% of the time, it was a P42 on back and Cabbage on front, then maybe 9% the reverse, and 1% sometime odd like P42s on both ends or extra engines and unused AMfleets, etc.

I assume for those odd times they were dropping off extra equipment for service, or connecting it to the Grand Junction?

Kind of early for foliage,but I'll take a dome over no dome. I I was already booked on the first train in the morning out of Boston later this month. That train will not be carrying the dome,but the next train at 1130 will,so I changed my reservation. I wish there were more dome cars on the Eastern trains. The Superliners have the Sightseer Car. Sitting in a diner/lounge is a poor substitute. I know tunnel clearance in NY and Baltimore prevent Superliner cars or domes,but how about everywhere else.South of DC,West of DC.North and west of Albany, The Keystones,etc. Yes, I know money and equipment are the obstacles,but it sure is nicer riding Amtrak West of Chicago.

The Dome ride was very nice. We were on the early train, and were only a handful of people utilizing the Dome Car.

One odd quirk- Most of the seats are facing inward, making it awkward to actually use the car for sightseeing. Also amusing: The conductor had to scold a few railfans for racing up to the Dome car before having there tickets scanned.

Anyway, the return train had a reverse consist (but no Dome). It was mentioned earlier in this thread, so I thought it was an odd coincidence. I noticed that when reversed, the train stops much further out on the platform so that the engine is not under the roof.

downeaster.jpg

I'm booked for the dome car trip next weekend and overnighting in Brunswick. Super excited to ride this dome for the first time and take it to Brunswick which holds a dear place in my heart. I've never actually taken the Downeaster north of Portland so that should be interesting to see as well.

We are booked inBC as its only an extra $9 per person. Do we sit in BC, have our tickets scanned, and then hit the dome? Or can I go to the dome immediately upon boarding at BON?

When I took it last week, conductors announced you had to have your ticket scanned before heading to the Dome. If you plan to possibly be in the Dome for the whole ride, it may not be worth it to ride in BC. Also take note of the discounts the Downeaster offers (BOGO on trains 681, 683, 686, 698, 691, 693, 696, 699, 25% off on trains 684, 686, 689, 694, 696, 699, and 50% off for seniors on all trains except 685/695)

I've never had a Whoopie Pie.

I've never been on the Downeastah.

I should fix this.

When I took it last week, conductors announced you had to have your ticket scanned before heading to the Dome. If you plan to possibly be in the Dome for the whole ride, it may not be worth it to ride in BC. Also take note of the discounts the Downeaster offers (BOGO on trains 681, 683, 686, 698, 691, 693, 696, 699, 25% off on trains 684, 686, 689, 694, 696, 699, and 50% off for seniors on all trains except 685/695)
how do you get the bogo tix?? I didn't see those offered and we are on 691 and 698. Senior discounts not applicable.

You have to enter code v489 at least 3 days in advance.

I use the "kids ride free" code all winter. Its a quirk of the system where they don't automatically give you the deal (unlike the 14-day discounts).

You should have no trouble modifying your reservation to utilize the code. Just call 800-usa-rail.

You have to enter code v489 at least 3 days in advance.

I use the "kids ride free" code all winter. Its a quirk of the system where they don't automatically give you the deal (unlike the 14-day discounts).

You should have no trouble modifying your reservation to utilize the code. Just call 800-usa-rail.
Interesting, I'm playing around online and I don't think business class qualifies. but since I plan to be in the dome for most of the trip perhaps its irrelevant.

Thanks.

I am providence.

Thanks again for the discount trip! Roundtrip for two people from BON to BRK is only $48 with the promotion. What a FABULOUS deal for 3.5 hours on the train in the DOME!

We took one of the grandkids and her parents from Exeter to Freeport and return on the Downeasterin BC last weekend. I was favorably impressed with on-time performance and the ability to (yes!) actually make up time south of Portland.

The Cafe Counter attendants were both really trying hard and were a pleasure. Northbound a senior center tour of 120 people got on in Haverhill and half tried to line up at the counter at once.

Granddaughter and son-in-law did try the dome, and loved it....

Am sitting in the dome car right now.

An entirely lovely experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back