Grand Junction, station to airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chuckles

Not directly about Amtrak, but related in a general sense to riding Amtrak.

We're planning to take the Zephyr to Grand Jn and rent a car. Only Enterprise has an office near the station but it's not open Sat afternoon which is when we will arrive. Only the airport offices of the major agencies are open, all city offices are closed. None of the airport agencies will agree to pick us up at the station. There are two taxi companies, one has 12 cars and the other 5---it's not Manhattan by a long shot. Both are reported to be unreliable and slow at picking people up.

Advice from anyone with local experience would be appreciated...do we have any good options? Should we have skipped the train and flown to GJT instead?

Enterprize might accommodate you if you as them as they rent to passengers all the time. We used rent a wreck that is 2 blocks from the station. They came and got us on a Sunday morning! Beautiful brand new Chevy impala! We were very happy with them and the price was reasonable.

We drove south on the smaller road to the west in CO. Beautiful drive and visited mesa Verde and the four corners and came back up in the east side of UT and went to Monument Valley and Canyonlands north and south and Arches too! I would go again in a flash. EB was a nice train too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relevant suggestions, thanks, but I should have explained that it has to be a one-way rental to SLC, so only the major agencies can be used.

PS To Berkyo: EB doesn't go to GJT, you must have been on the CZ.

Hold on! I gave you the wrong info. :/ I am mixing two trips up. The rent a wreck is in Minot ND and we took the EB. The SWC goes to Grand Junction and we rented a very nice - maybe the same kind? Form Budget. We stayed at a hotel 2 blocks from the station and were to be picked up the next day on Saturday a.m. to go and rent a car. But they were short people and they paid for a cab for us to go up to a mall where the budget office is in a sears store. Worked fine and again we were very happy with them.

The taxi company was not very big and we had to wait for one to come our way. Not long at all.

Renting one way is a hassle and I hope you can find something. Good luck!

Is there a real reason you want to rent in GJT and deal with a one way rental (and drop off charge)? If coming from the west, GJT is before the most scenic area. If coming from the west, why not take the train right to SLC? The airport there is only a few miles from the station, it's a fairly easy drive on I-15 and I-70, you have all the major car rental agencies to chose from - and you won't have that $150-$250 or more one way drop off charge!

Well, it's been that kind of a day for me. You are most correct The CZ goes to Grand Junction(Our second trip), The EB goes to Minot ND (our first trip), and The SWC goes to Santa fe - or Lamy NM ( most of our future trips). :blush: Sorry. I was no help at all here.

Is there a real reason you want to rent in GJT and deal with a one way rental (and drop off charge)? If coming from the west, GJT is before the most scenic area. If coming from the west, why not take the train right to SLC? The airport there is only a few miles from the station, it's a fairly easy drive on I-15 and I-70, you have all the major car rental agencies to chose from - and you won't have that $150-$250 or more one way drop off charge!
We'll be coming from the east, going west. The one-way rate is pretty good with our employer's contract (usable for personal trips). Once we're in Torrey (for Capitol Reef), GJT and SLC are both ~4 hours' drive, and it did not make sense to backtrack to GJT if we are going west.

Anyway, I'm probably overthinking this. We'll call the taxi in GJT, and ultimately, it will come or we'll take the local bus or something

The Grand Junction Amtrak station is about 5 miles south of the Grand Junction Airport (Walker Field). Bus route number 1 of Grand Valley Transit runs between the airport and downtown GJT. The final stop is about 2 blocks north of the Amtrak station. Details, maps and schedules at http://gvt.mesacounty.us/

Many thanks for the bus route information, which is very helpful and addresses my concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back