Grand Canyon to Flagstaff shuttle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minnrider

Train Attendant
I have been looking in Amtrak.com at the Grand Canyon (Maswik Lodge) to Flagstaff shuttle connection to the westbound Southwest Chief provided by Groome Transportation. The Chief has a scheduled departure of 8:38 pm from Flagstaff and the shuttle connection arrives at 8:15pm when booking a one-way ticket. I realize the Chief is often late, but if it's on time, that only provides 23 minutes to connect, which leaves no margin for delays with the shuttle. If I use the multi-city booking feature, I see there is a shuttle which arrives in Flagstaff three hours earlier. That would be preferable and allow for a relaxing evening with time for dinner before boarding the train. Has anyone had experience with using this shuttle? Also, if it's booked through Amtrak, should I call Groome Transporation to reconfirm?

I am intimately familiar with the Flagstaff station and thruway shuttle operations there. Despite only 23 minutes shown, the shuttle often arrives a bit early and they are in contact with the station agent. It is a smooth, guaranteed operation that you can book comfortably. The agent will still check your bags for you when the shuttle arrives. It is a small station with great service from the agent.

I've taken Groome a couple times and briefly lived in the area (unlike poster above, I've no experience with the Flag station activities). My only RT shuttle from Flag to Maswik Lodge was in the offseason when road traffic was light, a reliable 80-90 min drive door to door when travel isn't delayed in some way on the rural roads. I can't speak to your question on whether you'd need to call Groome to confirm, after booking through Amtrak.

In your shoes (and especially if the trip is during summer), I'd prefer some buffer time to enjoy a nice meal in downtown Flag as you're considering, for a few reasons: excepting the El Tovar dining room at the Grand Canyon, you'll find a better meal in Flag, and it's a nice compact downtown area to walk and stretch after your hour-plus van shuttle, prior to your nighttime train ride. Your post does make me curious about the on-time departure percentage of the Chief at that station, as I've been meaning to take it from there some time myself. Northern AZ to me is stunning, and whatever option you go for, you're in for an awesome trip!

Your post does make me curious about the on-time departure percentage of the Chief at that station, as I've been meaning to take it from there some time myself. Northern AZ to me is stunning, and whatever option you go for, you're in for an awesome trip!
According to ASMAD running numbers for this year so far since January the median arrival at FLG is 43 minutes late.

Back