Grand Canyon by TheTrain

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caravanman

Engineer
I confess to feeling old when trying to figure out maps and connections...I would just love one of those simple radio's too where you just tune it in with your fingers..still, back to the other type of station...

On my railtour, I would like to include a side trip to the grand canyon, and I gather that one catches a private train from Williams, Az up and back. Is this the same place as the Amtrak station at Williams junction, which seem to not be the correct station, or is Needles the best place to alight for The GC train?

Ed B)

I confess to feeling old when trying to figure out maps and connections...I would just love one of those simple radio's too where you just tune it in with your fingers..still, back to the other type of station...On my railtour, I would like to include a side trip to the grand canyon, and I gather that one catches a private train from Williams, Az up and back. Is this the same place as the Amtrak station at Williams junction, which seem to not be the correct station, or is Needles the best place to alight for The GC train?

Ed B)
The Grand Canyon Train and Amtrak use the same station in Williams. The GCRR web site is HERE.
If you can afford the upgrade to the dome car, it is worth it!

The Grand Canyon Train and Amtrak use the same station in Williams. The GCRR web site is HERE.
Amtrak and the GCRR use different stations. Amtrak uses a bus shelter station at Williams Junction a couple of miles east of the town of Williams. The BNSF main line to LA bypasses Williams. The GCRR uses the old ATSF station in the town of Williams. That station is on the BNSF line to Phoenix.

Amtrak and the GCRR use different stations. Amtrak uses a bus shelter station at Williams Junction a couple of miles east of the town of Williams. The BNSF main line to LA bypasses Williams. The GCRR uses the old ATSF station in the town of Williams. That station is on the BNSF line to Phoenix.
Interesting - Amtrak's own information says they use the same address. The street address is the same as GCRR street address. Amtrak's map link shows the GCRR depot, too. Wonder why that is???
118947974-L.jpg

You are confusing the Amtrak train station at Williams Junction with the Amtrak bus stop at Williams. The Southwest Chief stops at Williams Junction, not Williams. There is a connecting Thruway bus connection from Williams Junction to Williams. The station you referenced is the Amtrak bus stop at Williams (which is also the GCRR station).

Interesting - Amtrak's own information says they use the same address. The street address is the same as GCRR street address. Amtrak's map link shows the GCRR depot, too. Wonder why that is???
118947974-L.jpg
Amtrak lists the Williams depot as a Thruway-only connection, if you look closely—doesn't show the SWC. You'll find that if you look at Williams Junction on the Amtrak site, it does show the SWC as an available service.

-Rafi

Amtrak lists the Williams depot as a Thruway-only connection, if you look closely—doesn't show the SWC. You'll find that if you look at Williams Junction on the Amtrak site, it does show the SWC as an available service.
-Rafi
Thanks - I knew there had to be an answer. I was only there, once, many years ago.
All in all, the GCRR is a great ride taking you to a spectacular view. I guess the SKYWALK is open now. Not for those with acrophobia.

The GCRW Hotel will provide pick up and drop off at the SWC stop. Best call ahead. Look for package deal at the GCRW website. I'm not sure the skywalk is located at the GC park where the GCRW turns. Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Err.. So I guess I get off at Williams junction and catch the connecting bus, or call the Hotel for a pick up. :)

As you can see, it's not that plain to work it out!

Ed B)

PS from the map it looks like I get to see famous Route 66 as well..(the freeway version!)

Ug, your remarks are puzzeling! Jim

If you stay at the GCRW Hotel, they will pick you up, if you don't, heck I don't know. Jim

This may be icing on the cake...

I took the SWC to Williams Junction (WMJ), spent the night at the GCRR hotel and then took the GCRR to the Grand Canyon in October. As others have mentioned, I recommend calling the GCRR folks to request a pickup (and drop off on the return). Though its fair to assume that they will pick you up given a room reservation, its a good idea to remind them to pick you up since, from what I understand, that will help them guage which type of vehicle they send to meet the SWC. They sent a coach type bus when I arrived. The GCRR train departs/arrives from the station adjacent to the hotel.

As for the SKYWALK - I've heard about the SKYWALK, but I did not see it while walking along the rim trail.

Hope this helps.

Cheers and happy holidays!

Deimos

All in all, the GCRR is a great ride taking you to a spectacular view. I guess the SKYWALK is open now. Not for those with acrophobia.
Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, I am sure, but so far as I know the Skywalk is not in the national park, but in a Indian reservation to the west of the park, so you will not be able to walk to it from the RR station in the park.

Williams Junction, where the Southwest Chief stops, is a platform next to the tracks and nothing else. It is accessed by a minor road. From there it is about 3 miles into Williams, itself.

The reason for this rather peculiar situation is that in about 1960 to 62, the Santa Fe built a 40 plus mile relocation to bypass a very crooked and steep section of railroad between Williams, Ash Fork, and Crookton. Since the practical connecting point of the new line with the existing line was about 3 miles east of Williams, a new station for main line through trains serving Williams, called Williams Junction was located at this junction of the new line with the existing line. The old line was left in place from Williams Junction to the west as far as Ash Fork, which was the original junction of the Pheonix line with the main line. Pheonix line trains and the Grand Canyon line trains continued to serve Williams, itself. Of course passenger service is now gone on these lines except the Grand Canyon Railway which operates out of Williams instead of Williams Jct.

George

George is correct about the skywalk being on the reservation.

I took a GrayLine tour from LasVegas to the south rim of the Grand Canyon in October, so don't know anything about the train stations.

However, we were on the old Route 66 in Williams and it was nice. Quaint. I liked it. Reminded me of when I was a kid and we did the whole Chicago to L.A. trip on Route 66 in its Glory Days.

I just wanted to to clarify that Mr. Harris is right on the money regarding Williams Junction and the former ATSF mainline between Williams and Crookton. Being a National Park Service ranger now here at Grand Canyon National Park and the entire ATSF/Fred Harvey railroad travel system being one of the park's major interpretive themes makes this an easy post for me even though I'm a fee manager here.

Just a quick note regarding the Grand Canyon Railway and their Amtrak connect. It's important to remember that the Williams Junction, AZ "station" is located in a small MOW yard area that is not accessible to the public without tresspassing on both BNSF and and a rancher's private property. BNSF has easements rights through the ranch property that have also been afforded to the Grand Canyon Railway Company (which operates a 15 passenger van between the WMJ platform and their station downtown). That's why Amtrak's website sites Williams and Williams Jct. as the same place. It's technically not permissable to board/detrain at WMJ without using GCRR's bus to the railroad station downtown and the official Amtrak parking area for WMJ which is the same as the GCRR's parking area downtown. The van is free to anyone wanting to use WMJ, you just have to have a reservation from Amtrak. The WMA-WMJ thruway bus tickets are always a zero dollar ticket. The van is easy to spot as the GCRR's logo as well as Amtrak's logo are plastered on its doors. If you do go to the WMJ platform on your own, do expect a visit from the BNSF special agent. I've meet him twice since moving here and to watch trains on the Transcon because the signals here make timing the next train a whole lot easier than at the FLG depot where I hang out as well. Mr. Amtrak OBS Employee can make some points too on this subject as he spent a couple days here with me while helping a friend move from the MIA to SEA crew base. If you do visit the WMJ platform during the evening hours, there's a light switch on the center post that turns the lights on. Just remember to turn it off when you leave because it can diminish the clarity of the signals at the interlocking there.

It's a little off topic, but also worth noting is the old Railway Express building is the Williams Visitor Center where you can get info on the Grand Canyon National Park and the Kaibab National Forest. The rangers there give a great program at 6:00pm in the summer on the platform to provide a preview of the trip to the canyon the next day. Next to it is a little family resturant called the Pine County. It has excellent homemade pies if you eat dinner at the GCRR resturant. Most of the hotel/train packages include both breakfast and dinner that coordinate with the train schedules.

When you get to the Grand Canyon, if you return the same day back to Williams, you get to spend about two to three hours in the park. You can buy a tour package that provided by Xanterra (the owners of the Fred Harvey Company) or can use the free shuttle system in the park. Every GCRR ticket has $8 park entry fee built into it. If you have a federal recreation passport that exempts you and your family from paying an individual single-entry fee, be sure to show it to the GCRR ticket agent prior to leaving WMA for a cash refund on the park fare. When you come, let me know in a private message. My office is just across the street from the GCN station and love to meet those of you on this forum if you come to my park.

This little bit of GCRR train stuff is all I get to do with Amtrak anymore since I left NOL on-board service last summer. Little did I now that becoming a fee manager here would require the knowledge Amtrak Arrow/ARC tickets too since Amtrak does codeshare with the GCRR from WMA to GCN and its thruway bus service provided by Open Roads Tours from FLG to GCB. I think its really cool coming to the National Park Service from Amtrak with a job that requires knowlege of Amtrak's point of sale ticketing procedures.

Happy New Year everyone!!!

This little bit of GCRR train stuff is all I get to do with Amtrak anymore since I left NOL on-board service last summer. Little did I now that becoming a fee manager here would require the knowledge Amtrak Arrow/ARC tickets too since Amtrak does codeshare with the GCRR from WMA to GCN and its thruway bus service provided by Open Roads Tours from FLG to GCB. I think its really cool coming to the National Park Service from Amtrak with a job that requires knowlege of Amtrak's point of sale ticketing procedures.
Happy New Year everyone!!!
One never does know what knowledge one may need in the future. :)

Glad to hear that it is working out for you and that you're doing ok. :)

Thanks for the additional info..sometimes a posting seems finished, then comes back to life unexpectedly!

I will certainly turn off any lights that I turn on..!

Ed. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back