got my AGR going, but I am looking for that next step

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my husband would like for me to spend a little less time reading through every post to see what tidbits of info I can get to try to understand how loopholes work and where to look for bucket prices. Many late nights apparently are making me a little... grumpy? :) (And here I am looking for our next trip!)

I see lots of folks booking trips in parts and pieces, I'm assuming to get the best points for the trip. I actually get completely lost trying to follow some of the trip connections here. Am I making it too difficult to figure out? Is there a "Scheduling Smart for Dummies" thread in the newbies' area? I asume that since my Dallas to LAX trip is basicall a strait shot, I don't have the option of extending my layover at a particular place to catch the next train and stretch my trip that way?

Is there a section of Coast Starlight that might allow me to "temporarily upgrade" to a sleeper car, but doesn't require me to pay for it for the whole trip from LA to Eugene? I'd love to see the Parlor car, but not too thrilled about adding over $500 to the trip. (family of four traveling, leaving LA on March 31)

I haven't had to study this hard since my Jr Yar Advance English with Mr Olson. :rolleyes:

So, my husband would like for me to spend a little less time reading through every post to see what tidbits of info I can get to try to understand how loopholes work and where to look for bucket prices. Many late nights apparently are making me a little... grumpy? :) (And here I am looking for our next trip!)
I see lots of folks booking trips in parts and pieces, I'm assuming to get the best points for the trip. I actually get completely lost trying to follow some of the trip connections here. Am I making it too difficult to figure out? Is there a "Scheduling Smart for Dummies" thread in the newbies' area? I assume that since my Dallas to LAX trip is basically a strait shot, I don't have the option of extending my layover at a particular place to catch the next train and stretch my trip that way?

Is there a section of Coast Starlight that might allow me to "temporarily upgrade" to a sleeper car, but doesn't require me to pay for it for the whole trip from LA to Eugene? I'd love to see the Parlor car, but not too thrilled about adding over $500 to the trip. (family of four traveling, leaving LA on March 31)

I haven't had to study this hard since my Jr Yar Advance English with Mr Olson. :rolleyes:
You can use the 'Multi City option' to book your trip.

Or just use the regular booking option, put in some test destinations, with our without sleepers to see the pricing.

Booking a trip as far as 11 months early usually will give you the lowest price (bucket). As the date approaches and sleepers fill up, the prices go up too, just like on a plane. If someone cancels a sleeper, it will return to inventory at the price it was sold at. Sometimes, you can also to an onboard upgrade to a sleeper for a lower price, but this is not a guarantee.

Just choose what station you want to stop at, then book the train again from there.

For instance, with Dallas to Lax, if you want to stop at a town in between, use that as your first destination, then book from there.

For the Coast Starlight, from LAX to Eugene, an extra $500 for sleepers is not a bad price. That's 2 days on the train, with meals included. You can easily spend $30 a day each for food. You could book from LAX to SAC in coach, then book in a sleeper from there to Eugene.

If you don't mind sleeping in coach, what you may want to do is take a sleeper from LAX to like Oakland or Sacramento. (Even though it's a day time trip, believe me many people do it! ;) ) With this, you'll have access to the PPC for the most scenic portions along the coast, AND 2 included meals PER PERSON northbound or 3 included meals PER PERSON southbound!

Be sure to book #421 from DAL to LAX, not #421 or #21 connecting to #1. If you do, you must exit at San Antonio and can not board #1 until it arrives about 2-3 AM. They only switch 1 coach and 1 sleeper between trains (#421), and this allows you to sleep during the stop! ;)

If you don't mind sleeping in coach, what you may want to do is take a sleeper from LAX to like Oakland or Sacramento.
Be sure to book #421 from DAL to LAX, not #421 or #21 connecting to #1.
I have triple checked my tickets, and thankfully I am taking the 421, not the 21. I'd hate to be tryingto maneuver three kids at 3 AM in San Antonio!!

I am finding LAX to Paso Robles will give us time to grab lunch and a shower, and get a quick look in the Parlor, for about $200. I think by the time we get to Los Angeles, I will be more interested in the shower than anything else, lol.

thanks for the tips!

Back