Got a newbie rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill

Service Attendant
Haven't posted in awhile but now I have a question. Got a young friend,34,never been on a train,doesn't have a clue as to what it is like to ride Amtrak.He wants to go west(,I am in Cincinnati)We will go to Chicago, by the Cardinal,I want to come back by the Zephyr,should I take him to LA on the Chief and then the Starlite to Frisco or on the Builder to Seattle and down to Frisco and back or even take the Zephyer to Fricso and go north or south and come back to Chicago. I have been on the all trains and like them all,I have no prefrence but I would like my friend to get the biggest bang for the buck soo to speak.I am leaning towards Seattle,but La's weather is usually better...hints suggestions,most likely throw a dart at a map;-)

I think Southwest Chief would be better because of better on time in LA.

For Empire Builder, usually they'll give you a bus ride from south of Portland to catch up the Empire Builder if the Coast Starlight is late. For going to Seattle, you'll need a hotel.

Southbound Starlight= ocean view (if it's not late) (other option- stay in San Luis Obispo and take Pacific

Northbound Starlight= volcanic peaks such as Mt. Shasta, Mt. Hoods, Mt. St. Helens, etc.)

Surfliner or take the least scenic route- San Joaquin unless he's mouth watering for crops)

Empire Builder= mountains view of Cascades and Rockies (Montana)

Southwest= desert view (even mountain view between Lamy, NM and Raton, NM)

Biggest consideration- can you make the connections on time? If not, use the overnight stay at hotel.

I would take the Chief to LA. Nice southwestern scenery and a very well operated train.

Overnight LA.

Starlight to the Bay Area. You'll get the oceanfront ride between Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo that is breathtaking.

Overnight Bay Area (don't say 'Frisco in the Bay Area).

Zephyr east to Chicago. Sierras in California, Wasatch Range in Utah, and Rockies in Colorado. The most mountains for the dollar on Amtrak. Quite a ride. New schedule and UP operating agreement has greatly improved on-time operation.

The big advantage of heading to LA is to ride the Starlight along the Pacific coastline. Having just left LA, you are all but assured of daytime viewing in the scenic section and an early evening arrival in Oakland. The Builder is a nice ride too, but the Starlight south from Seattle or Portland is very good but not as spectacular as north from LA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks GS and PRR.Making connections is not that important,plan on staying at Seattle or LA for two days or so.I don't really care too much which train I take but I did hear the Empire Builder did an over haul a while back. But I have a friend in LA I would like to meet up with also.Plan on a couple of days in SF,hate the bus set up plus coming in late at nite even when on time off the Starlite.Not going till february but just planning ahead a little:)

What about the California Zephyr , I heard from a dining attentendent yesterday on the Texas Eagle that was her favorite route through the Moutains in Colorado

]

What about the California Zephyr ,

John,that is the plan for getting back,just trying to figure out figure out if I should take the northern route(EB)to Seattle,Starlite getting us to Frisco. ) or the southern route(SWC)LA with the Starlite getting us to Frisco. I like both..the desert or the mountains and open vastness of the north west.Planning on the first week of february.

If you're going in February and wants to see snow, then take either CZ or EB. Trains are usually the best transportation in snow while cars can't drive on icy/snowy roads and planes can't fly in snowstorm.

For CZ, you will see the Sierra Nevadas in CA/NV area and the Rockies in Colorado. Plus you will see the ski resorts, esp. with a ski resort right next to the track by Denver!

I've never rode on EB, so I can't comment that.

You'll probably see a lot of snow if you take the EB in February, but due to the westbound's schedule, you probably won't get to see much, if any, of the Rocky Mountains and Glacier Park, as it goes through western Montana in the late evening. You will, however, get to see the Cascade Mountains the next morning if you go to Seattle, which is still worth seeing. If you take the Portland route of the Builder, you'll get to run along the Columbia Gorge, which is also quite scenic and worth seeing.

]What about the California Zephyr ,

John,that is the plan for getting back,just trying to figure out figure out if I should take the northern route(EB)to Seattle,Starlite getting us to Frisco. ) or the southern route(SWC)LA with the Starlite getting us to Frisco. I like both..the desert or the mountains and open vastness of the north west.Planning on the first week of february.

If possible make your reservation online NOW, the price for sleepers will be much less than in a couple of months...and you can cancel anytime for full refund

I would take the SWC to LA with a stop in Williams 1 night Hotel next morning to the Grand Canyon by train and back to Williams, same evening continuation to LA on SWC, stay in LA, Starlight daytrip to Emeryville. Stay in Bay Area and back over the Rockies with CZ.

If possible make your reservation online NOW, the price for sleepers will be much less than in a couple of months...and you can cancel anytime for full refund
I would take the SWC to LA with a stop in Williams 1 night Hotel next morning to the Grand Canyon by train and back to Williams, same evening continuation to LA on SWC, stay in LA, Starlight daytrip to Emeryville. Stay in Bay Area and back over the Rockies with CZ.

Never ever did I even give that a thought,now that is a great idea,been to the Grand Canyon several times along with the Phantom Ranch but I know my friend hasen't......DANG..thanks for the suggestion WKAEMENA. An over nite there might be in order also to see the sunset!!!Plan on trying to get the reservations in october when we are sure we can do the trip in early february.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back