Good train watching spot in NYC area?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Lead Service Attendant
Hey guys, I have a bold plan. I have to go to Virgina Beach for a conference. The company is paying so I have to fly but--- I discovered on my last trip that if I play my cards right I can layover in Philly. The usual time is about two hours but my plane was late so I ended up sitting in Philly for almost 5 hours. It was during this time that I discovered that I could get to 30th St Station via the SEPTA train from the Airport. After sitting around the bar for about an hour or so I decided to check it out and it worked well. I had never been to 30th ST station so that was pretty cool. I get along fairly well with the person who does our travel so I'm confident I can get an early flight out of Chicago and a late one out or Philly, under the guise of 'meeting a friend'. That should give me around seven hours in Philly to work with.

Here's the bold part: I'll hop the Acela to NYC and spend the layover there, then hop one back for my flight on to Norfolk/VA Beach. The timing is tight but that's part of the fun. I figure 60 min to and from PHL airport to 30th ST, about 2 1/2 hours on the Acela round trip to NYC giving me 3-4 hours to do some train spotting. I've been to NYC before but I'm by no means an expert. Is there a Subway line, Metro North, LIRR or NJT train that I could take somewhere nice to have lunch/dinner and do a little railfanning? Cost is not really an issue but time is so I need a high volume of traffic, preferably a good mixture of Amtrak and or the trains I mentioned above. This is completely for the fun of it, so no biggy if it doesn't come off perfect. Help? Suggestions? Thanks.

If it were me I would get off in Newark (or double back to it) and catch Path trains to to the World Trade Center , NJT, Amtrak and have a variety of eateries inside the station. You can even ride the light rail to the old Lackawanna station (about 20 minutes R/T if you make connections) and there is a replica of an old subway fare booth on the walkway to the light rail. You're in daylight if you walk out of the train shed at the Newark station for pix. There are a lot of choices in and around the NYC area and I'm sure there will be plenty of other suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever been to Grand Central Terminal? That might make a nice destination for you for eating. Amtrak trainspotting will be nill however, but the terminal does deserve a visit.

I second Had8ly.

Newark is a great place to visit. Great place for train watching, especially around rush hour. Trains are always coming and going then. Amtrak and NJTransit. NJTransit has some beautiful equipment, especially the DB engines pulling those gargantuan multilevel trains. (Up to 14 cars long!)

Newark is a place that always makes me hungry, not sure why. I think its that the whole place reeks of popcorn. Beautiful building by itself, too. The light rail works well. There are a number of decent restaurants within the station, but my favourite isn't actually in the station.

I can't recommend them enough, actually. They make great sandwhiches (they use Boar's Head exclusively) and they have a hot per-lb buffet which is equally delicious. Its called the Metro Cafe. Here is how you get there. If you book the Acela, get off in Newark. Will give you more time. Most Acelas, if not all, stop there so as to catch PATH passengers.

Walk down the Raymond Plaza stairs. Look both ways, one way should lead to the Great Hall. Turn towards the Great Hall. As you approach it, there should be a hallway to your right. Go to that hallway, and walk down it, and there should be some escalators going up on your left. Take them and head towards the Gateway Center. Go over the overpass, and through the revolving doors. After those doors, the Metro Cafe should be up about 150 feet on your right. If you pass the entrance to the Hilton, you've gone too far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I second Had8ly.
Newark is a great place to visit. Great place for train watching, especially around rush hour. Trains are always coming and going then. Amtrak and NJTransit. NJTransit has some beautiful equipment, especially the DB engines pulling those gargantuan multilevel trains. (Up to 14 cars long!)

Newark is a place that always makes me hungry, not sure why. I think its that the whole place reeks of popcorn. Beautiful building by itself, too. The light rail works well. There are a number of decent restaurants within the station, but my favourite isn't actually in the station.

I can't recommend them enough, actually. They make great sandwhiches (they use Boar's Head exclusively) and they have a hot per-lb buffet which is equally delicious. Its called the Metro Cafe. Here is how you get there. If you book the Acela, get off in Newark. Will give you more time. Most Acelas, if not all, stop there so as to catch PATH passengers.

Walk down the Raymond Plaza stairs. Look both ways, one way should lead to the Great Hall. Turn towards the Great Hall. As you approach it, there should be a hallway to your right. Go to that hallway, and walk down it, and there should be some escalators going up on your left. Take them and head towards the Gateway Center. Go over the overpass, and through the revolving doors. After those doors, the Metro Cafe should be up about 150 feet on your right. If you pass the entrance to the Hilton, you've gone too far.

Excellent! Thank you very much GML! So far it looks like I'll try your plan.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back