Good Train Viewing near Chicago Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertF

Service Attendant
I lived in Chicago and rode the commuter trains for about 3 years and I never did find a good place in the vicinity of Union Station to train watch (but I honestly didn't try that hard). Anyone know of a good place to watch the train traffic come and go there?

I lived in Chicago and rode the commuter trains for about 3 years and I never did find a good place in the vicinity of Union Station to train watch (but I honestly didn't try that hard). Anyone know of a good place to watch the train traffic come and go there?
Roosevelt Road just east of Canal.

Well, you can really make a good walking tour if you head south on Canal out of Union Station. The first stop is about two blocks past I 290, I think its Polk street. It is just past the 'new' US Post Office. Make a left and head towards the east. You can walk out on the bridge right over the south tracks heading into CUS. It is a dead end bridge with maned check points for the Post Office, (the check points are on the opposite side so they don't affect you going out there). I've walked out there and taken pictures many times and nobody has ever bothered me. Head back out to Canal and continue south. Next stop is the previously posted Roosevelt Rd. Its a pretty big bridge that spans the yards of Amtrak and Metra. I have been questioned by police up there about what I was doing. I told the officer that I was a rail-fan and I was just taking pictures. He seemed satisfied with that and went on his way. The whole area has been newly updated so there actually are other little points to stop and look out trackside between Polk and Roosevelt. There's a nice little diner to take a break in on the corner of Roosevelt and Canal. The food is decent and the place has been crowded every time I've been by there. Continue South on Canal down under the old St Charles Airline where the City of NOL, Saluki and the Illini come across and shove into CUS. Then another short bridge takes you right over the south end of the Metra yards and the Wye where Amtrak trains are turned for servicing. That bridge used to be wide-open but the city ruined it when it was redone. Now its hard to see past all the decorative cement, let alone take pictures. You can head north about half a block off of this bridge and get down trackside for a few decent pics. Next head down on Canal to 18th street this old bridge takes you right over Amtrak's south end and near the Diesel shop. From this bridge you can get down trackside, there's a nice stairway that leads down to Lumber street where again you'll be trackside for all the trains comming in from the south. That's about as far south as you need to go. There are a few other good spots right around there but I'm not real familiar with that neighborhood. All told its probably about a mile down and a mile back. Its tough to catch a taxi coming north on Canal so when you leave CUS program a number off the cabs parked out front into your cell. I think it costs around $5-6.00 but I usually walk it all.

All in all its a safe walk, I've never had any trouble so have fun and I'll see you out there!

Mrfss hit it right in the kisser Roosevelt Road is perfect. All eastbound long-distance trains go under the bridge. Other trains include SW Chief, CZ, Texas Eagle and one or two more. You can see up to 100+ trains a day if you get out there early enough.

Mrfss hit it right in the kisser Roosevelt Road is perfect. All eastbound long-distance trains go under the bridge. Other trains include SW Chief, CZ, Texas Eagle and one or two more. You can see up to 100+ trains a day if you get out there early enough.
Thanks everyone!!

Though my experience with Chiago is somewhat limited, I would definitely advise you to be careful when railfanning much farther south than Roosevelt Road--while Roosevelt Road is busy and is safe with many pedestrians around all day long, if you go farther south towards the end of the Amtrak yards, it can start to become less safe. Of course, it is still much safer than many other parts of south Chiago.

If you had been at last year's Get Together you could have train watched right in the Amtrak Yards per the following picture links:
LINK 1

LINK 2
Great pictures! I didn't know about this site last year but I'll certainly try to make any future Chicago get together!

If you had been at last year's Get Together you could have train watched right in the Amtrak Yards per the following picture links:
LINK 1

LINK 2
Great pictures! I didn't know about this site last year but I'll certainly try to make any future Chicago get together!
It will be in LA this year in October. Keep an eye on the Get Together Forum for details later this year.

There is a 3 track level crossing on Canal near Lake which is about a 10 minute walk north of Union Stn. The crossing is on a superelevated curve and there are several dwarf signals at the crossing which give an indication of which direction trains will be coming from, etc. There is an interlocking tower at Lake St. as well. The L crosses at high level in the area and there is another commuter line to the east.

During a recent layover waiting for the LSL, I spent rush hour watching Metra trains leaving the station. I didn't attempt any photography as I'm from Canada and have heard that Metra police hassle railfans once in a while, even though Metra "officially"allows photography of their trains on public property and at stations. Not sure how Chicago police would react to photography of rail infrastructure, either. There seemed to be a train or two every minute, amazing to watch.

There is also an abandoned spur and drawbridge just north of Lake, which appears to head toward Navy Pier and may have been used to serve one of the Chicago newspapers. The track is still in for quite a distance but appears not to have been used for many years. I recall reading somewhere that this spur may have been the first railroad to enter Chicago. Maybe someone from the area could fill us in?

Gord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back