Good Reads on the Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alang

Train Attendant
Taking a trip on the CZ to the Bay Area in a few days. I am sure that this has been discussed before but here are some recent books that I have read (and re-read) on the Train:

"On the Road" and

"The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test"

"Following the Equator"

"Last Train to Paradise"

Looking forward to reading

"To Kill a Mockingbird" and

"Go Set a Watchman" on this trip.

Anyone else have any favorites?

One should not die without reading Hanz Zisser's Rats, Lice and History. Perhaps the best written book of all time.

I like to shop at used bookstores when traveling, to pick up something I might never have thought of, for reading on the train.

Also usually bring along a stack of magazines I've been meaning to get to.... As I finish each, I can throw it out, thus lightening the luggage load (and making room for perhaps more books).

Anyone want to start a thread re: used bookstores near Amtrak stations???

alang--

I would suggest reading "Go Set a Watchman" before "To Kill a Mockingbird." The latter is a classic and beautifully written. The former is essentially a badly written and plotted first draft that should never have been published and will be a huge disappointment if you read "To Kill a Mockingbird" first. (Also, in spite of the cover art, there's not much about trains in "Go Set a Watchman"--just a mode of travel for the protagonist with no emotion involved.)

tricia--

I can't think of used bookstores right near any Amtrak stations I usually go through, but I sometimes do something similar to what you do when you travel. If I see an inexpensive new book I like when traveling (at a downtown bookstore, for example), I buy it, read it on my train journey, and donate it to the library in the next place I stop. Also, I usually bring a magazine from home and leave it with my tip for housekeeping the day I leave the hotel.

I read 2 history books this summer on the TE: "Killing Lincoln" and "Killing Patton". Both were easy reading so I could drift off watching the scenery pass by , then, easily get right back into the book. again

Maya Books & Music in downtown Sanford, Florida in a local legend & tradition. Once you've checked in & turned over your car for loading it's easy to take the downtown shuttle to get a bite to eat at any of several small restaurants, and stop by Maya to browse or shop. Don't trip over the dog.

Tom

I quickly learned not to weigh myself down with books on a LD train trip simply because I usually find no time to read them between watching scenery, lounging and chatting and sleeping at night. Now I will bring a mag or 2 as when I do find a bit of time where I want to read, usually just before going to sleep, I can knock through a couple quick articles. And if I can find a newspaper along the way, I'll partake of that as well. Again quick easy reading.

At home I read every day.

I've found I don't read on the train. So I stopped taking a book or 2 with me.

I'm to wrapped up in looking out the window(s), taking photos, and chatting with other passengers.

I need to take something to read for the extremely depressing and boring sections immediately south and north of TRE, which I unfortunately must start or end any travels with, since TRE is my nearest station.

I forgot to mention earlier that, although it is not a used bookstore, the newsstand in the Harrisburg, PA station has a good selection of books, some at very reasonable prices.

Often people have several hours to kill in Chicago and Powell's Books is a "must do" if you like to read. Not certain of the distance from station but well worth the taxi fare (especially if you can do Uber) or a ride on CTA.

"Sister" store, Powell's Books in Portland, OR, too.

Lived in Portland and got to Powell's Chicago several weeks ago. well worth the time and effort if you're a book enthusiast.

Don't read books much, but the last two I recall reading were Portnoy's Complaint and Catch 22.

Years ago, I read a few books that dealt with railroad, by author Paul Theroux, pretty damn good.

The Great Railway Bazaar

The Old Patagonian Express

Riding The Iron Rooster

They were not "railfan" novels, but train travel played a major role in these

Still a couple of others of his I haven't read, but look interesting:

Ghost Train to the Eastern Star

Book Description
Thirty years after his classic The Great Railway Bazaar, Paul Theroux revisits Eastern Europe, Central Asia, India, China, Japan, and Siberia. Half a lifetime ago, Paul Theroux virtually invented the modern travel narrative by recounting his grand tour by train through Asia. In the three decades since, the world he recorded in that book has undergone phenomenal change. The Soviet Union has collapsed and China has risen; India booms while Burma smothers under dictatorship; Vietnam flourishes in the aftermath of the havoc America unleashed on it the last time Theroux passed through. And no one is better able to capture the texture, sights, smells, and sounds of that changing landscape than Paul Theroux. Theroux's odyssey takes him from Eastern Europe, still hung over from communism, through tense but thriving Turkey into the Caucasus, where Georgia limps back toward feudalism while its neighbor Azerbaijan revels in oil-fueled capitalism. Theroux is firsthand witness to it all, traveling as the locals do—by stifling train, rattletrap bus, illicit taxi, and mud-caked foot—encountering adventures only he could have: from the literary (sparring with the incisive Nobel laureate Orhan Pamuk) to the dissolute (surviving a week-long bender on the Trans-Siberian Railroad). And wherever he goes, from the European Union to the Pacific Rim and back, his omnivorous curiosity and unerring eye for detail never fail to inspire, enlighten, inform, and entertain.
- Amazon.com

For years, Joseph Heller (CATCH-22) said he took only one book on a long trip, one that he'd been meaning to read for decades but never managed to get read. Invariably, he said, he fell asleep on Page 10 or 12 and spent the rest of the trip playing cards. That book was Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE.

I got tired of carrying several books for my longer trips, so my kids got surprised me with a Kindle for Christmas several years ago. With a selection of books already on it, I never have a problem reading. Now several of my magazines are electronic so I have them on my iPad. So I have my IPad for magazines and music, and Kindle for my books. So far much easier and lighter, but I do miss browsing the bookstores.

I'm a kindle Ipad person and always take them along, but except for reading a few pages before sleep I'd much rather take in the sights or enjoy someone's company while on the train.

I'm not a commuter so its really more excitement than boring while traveling for me.

I do find everyone's choice of reading interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back