Good places to eat on the Southwest Chief route

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdcnosse

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I took the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff about a month ago, and I am curious if there is any good places to eat in Chicago, Kansas City or Albuquerque that are still close to the station. I am trying to not spend money on the meals aboard the train, and only bring my snacks.

Lots of good places in Chicago, including Giordanos (the very unofficial pizza of AU)! None that I know of nearby to KCY, but I think there are some near ABQ. There is also usually some fruit stalls set up on the platform, along with the other sellers.

I took the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff about a month ago, and I am curious if there is any good places to eat in Chicago, Kansas City or Albuquerque that are still close to the station. I am trying to not spend money on the meals aboard the train, and only bring my snacks.
For ABQ and KCY are you looking for places you can reach during the scheduled station stop? I don't think the times at KCY permit you to realistically leave the train and go to any nearby restaurants.

:giggle: I took the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff about a month ago, and I am curious if there is any good places to eat in Chicago, Kansas City or Albuquerque that are still close to the station. I am trying to not spend money on the meals aboard the train, and only bring my snacks.
HA! When I read the title to the thread I read it as where on the Southwest Chief can I eat and wanted to see how many wise guys posted "the diner, the cafe/lounge car, your roomette, your bedroom, your seat, the hallway, the bathroom...etc etc." :giggle:

Any reason for this? If it's purely financial a few good deals can be found in both the diner and lounge. Of course you may be a veteran rider and already have the menus memorized.

Several places are within an easy walk from Alburquerque station. Ive not eaten at any of them personally though.

Whatever your choice may be. For breakfast head to the diner and not to the lounge car.

Yes, I remember that Kansas City and Albuquerque we had right around an hour before we departed, and so it would be plenty of time to disembark and find some food. I took a gander at the menu before I left last time and nothing seemed particularly appealing to me, especially for the price. I realize it's not as healthy but I'm fine with fast food. :)

Last time I managed to make it through the entire trip from GRR to FLG by only eating McDonalds for lunch in Chicago, and a hot dog in Albuquerque (I had packed pop tarts and granola bars to eat aboard the train). I think total I spent maybe $20 on food that way.

Try and take in at least 1 meal in the Diner as that is a big part of the train experience. As other posters mentioned, breakfast is usually your best value. When I was in ABQ last summer I do not recall seeing a Taco or Burrito truck, but then I didn't wander off the platform area.

In Chicago there are lots of good choices in the station, including Gold Coast Dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back