Good Family Trip Suggestions from VT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortpants

Train Attendant
We will be making our maiden train voyage in July, Albany NY to Winter Haven FL, but I have to say I have been bitten by the train bug already, and we haven't even gotten on the train yet! LOL! The excitement has got me thinking about other good trip options for our family of four, two adults, a pre-schooler and a toddler. So who better to ask than the pros? :)

We do have an Amtrak station about a half hour from us, in Rutland, VT. We chose to leave from Albany, NY for this upcoming trip due to price differences, but it is a little over a 2 hour drive for us, but up here pretty much EVERYTHING is a half hour to an hour away, so that is no biggie.

What other trains/routes can you all recommend, either day trips or even long distance to a destination that is good for families? Thanks in advance! :)

Depending on how the kids do in the train, you could venture out to California and go to Lego Land. It is suppose to be great for little kids. You could leave from Albany again on the Lake Shore Limited into Chicago and then the Southwest Chief to Los Angeles and then the Pacific Surfliner to Carlsbad, CA where Lego Land is.

http://california.legoland.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do go to Legoland, make sure you get a deal on the admission. The prices are outrageous but you can get coupons for free child admission w/ a paid adult one and they used to have two for one coupons a few years ago. It's a nice park for kids about 13 and under. Rides are very tame. Some of the Lego creations are really nice to look at like the Taj Mahal, New York City, etc. Something like this http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/13/world/gallery/photographer-captures-haunting-beauty-ballet/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

Dan

If you are traveling in a sleeper, keep in mind that Superliner equipment has a family room accomodation for 2 adults an 2 kids. The drawback for me, though, is that it is on the lower level, which tends to be a noisier ride. One also sees further off from the upper level

The LA region is good, as it's got lots of attractions for kids. June mentioned above the Pacific Surfliner. That's also your train to Anaheim and Disney World. And San Diego has a great zoo.

We have a daughter in San Francisco and take the California Zephyr to visit her. It is a lovely trip, but

a long one. I don't know if your children would appreciate that long of a trip.

I assume you will go to LEGOLAND when you come to Winter Haven. Our grandchildren, ages 8, 5 & 3,

prefer LEGOLAND to Disney World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back