Going to New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Watcher

Lead Service Attendant
I'm almost never on Amtrak the eastern U.S., but have to go to New York (from Dallas) on Business in May. Which train is best from Chicago: Three Rivers of Lake Shore Limited? I've not been on either of these and am without a clue.

AW,

Well if you are traveling in a sleeper then the best train is the Lake Shore, as it carries a full diner. The Three River's only has a cafe/lounge, although you do still get your meals for free. However, it just doesn't compare to the food in a diner.

Scenery wise, I'd give the 3R's a slight edge thanks to Horseshoe Curve. However both have decent sights.

If you are traveling in coach, then I'd probably say go with the 3R's.

Well it depends on what you would like, scenery and lakes or lights and great city views, it really depended on what you like.

Timing is also another factor to consider. Would it work out better for your schedule if you took the LSL or the Three Rivers? Also keep in mind that the Three Rivers is a Horizon fleet train, while the New York Side of the LSL is Amfleet II. In my opinion the Amfleet II's are FAR superior to the Horizon fleet.

The Three Rivers may have it's Amfleet II Coaches back as the Horizons were only a temporary replacement for frozen equipment (however with such a cold winter some cars may still be thawing out ;) )

Since I've never experienced Amfleet II equipment, I guess I'll make reservations on the Lake Shore Limited - at least in one direction. Now, it's getting interesting: more than just another business trip on Amtrak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back