Going to Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
HEY!!! That's not your index finger! But seriously in December what scenery can I expect to see on the Cardinal out of Chicago to CVS.? Which is the best side of train for scenery on this route, right or left?

Many thanks to all for your thoughts.

It looks like I'll take the Pennsylvanian to Pittsburgh, have dinner with my cousin, and board the CL for the rest of the trip. I wish I had the time to take the Cardinal back but, time dictates that I fly (UGH!) :angry2:

HEY!!! That's not your index finger! But seriously in December what scenery can I expect to see on the Cardinal out of Chicago to CVS.? Which is the best side of train for scenery on this route, right or left?
From CHI as it grows dark (winter/Time change etc.)youll see snow/ice and dreary looking cities/old factories.farms/ethanol plants etc. The good scenery comes in the morning in West Virginia on the right hand side of the train, ie New River gorge, Rivers, mountains etc. Probably will be snow and ice, cold outside but comfy on the train as the_traveler says! Remember the diner/cafe car is combined and very limited seating, since it's a Viewliner youll have the best view from your room! I agree with Ryan fully, I thought the train was great with average-to-good food, just too pricey due to limited equipment (cries out fro Superliner equipment or a dome! and another sleeper and a real diner!) and three day a week schedule! Also it's slow, but who cares, it's a train! Youll love it! Jim

A note about foliage, etc in Virginia and West Virginia....

Those foliage charts are based somewhat on the trees at the higher elevations in the mountains, so at lower elevations in VA & WV, you can see some color in the trees up until early November. Keep in mind that the Cardinal follows the New River and the Greenbriar River, so you are at the lower elevations (river basins).

The Cardinal is an excellent option in any season, I also really like it as the leaves start to fall off the trees. I enjoy seeing the winter landscape - the fewer the leaves - the better the scenic views, since there are many areas along the route with over grown hardwood trees that have filled in, and block some of the best views (especially near Afton, VA). Many years ago (C & O days), there was much more open space along the route, making it a gorgeous run ("The C& O George Washington"). So now, I would say that once the leaves fall off - you can actually see better, sometimes for miles and miles. And I like that.

I also really like the C & O heritage, the cantilever signals, the classic railroad architecture (see Thurmond, WV). I know that The New York Times travel editor recently rode the Cardinal to Chicago and wrote a wonderful piece for the travel section.

It's also a small train, but rather nice in a Viewliner - more of an old-time, perhaps pre-1980s feel to it. I also enjoy riding in the cafe (reserved for Sleeping Car Pax), between meals. It's nice and private - and you can view both sides of the car through rather large windows.

And once you begin to get snow cover - it is really nice, especially if there is a full moon on a clear night. Then expect some nice Nighttime scenery from your large Viewliner window with all the interior lights turned off.

*But it was so much better when it was a SL train with a Sightseer Lounge. Hard to compare it to that.

But one advantage in the late fall or winter for The Cardinal - over the Capital Limited. Keep in mind that the CL departs Washington, DC at 4 PM. The Cardinal leaves DC around 11 AM, so in the winter, I like the fact that it's a longer route - it's actually better that way. The CL gets dark around Harpers Ferry - maybe an hour of daylight riding on the first day out of DC. The Cardinal gets dark around Alderson, WV - at about 5:30 PM - perhaps 6 hours after leaving DC. Plus even more daylight riding time on the 2nd morning - through IN and IL.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back