Go West Young Man! We leave today.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My son and I leave this afternoon on the Three Rivers from Harrisburg to Chicago. Tomorrow we board the California Zephyr for Sacramento. This will be a once in a lifetime, three night 4 day trip across the country to Sacramento. After touring and backpacking for two weeks we will return. Just 44 year old me and my 18 year old son. My wonderful wife and daughter are staying home while we ride the rails and explore the Sierras.

I have never ridden a long distance train before. I have ridden tourist railroads, lightrail, subway and metrorail, etc. I have been interested in trains and have been an occassional model railroader for years. Here in Central PA trains are a big part of life.

I want to thank everyone on this forum and the other railroad boards for the information, answers and help. I learned dozens of important pieces of information and at least 5 or 6 key facts that have helped me plan my trip and will make it more enjoyable, safe and less expensive. Thank you.

I look forward to writing an extensive trip report. As a first time passenger who is 44 with a long term interest in trains, I will try to give a complete and detailed review. As a backpacker who sleeps in small tents I am used to small spaces. I am a relatively easy-going person who likes adventure. But, I also demand my money's worth and expect the service I pay for.

Anything you would like a report on or any last minute advice?

Sounds like you have been prepped for a great trip. As to expecting the service you pay for, so often that happens but sometimes not. Keep in mind the crew can be busy doing things we are not aware of.

So, here is hoping for the best!

Have an amazing adventure; I know you will have a trip of lifetime.

One warning; there is a high probability of addiction :p :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back