Gluten Free on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Job well done customer service. Please do call again. Also the ads from google at the top of this forum should be look into. A search on Amazon will give you tons of food you can eat and carry onboard. The foods on the train's menu do look like they can be prepare to meet your needs. With an few items from home, you will have an great trip on the train.

When you call Customer Service make sure you get the name of the person you are speaking to, repeat the name so they know you are writting it down, address the person by name - If you are treated badly, you know who did it and report it!

You are a customer NOT a punching bag!

As far as bringing your own food, you would bring a few things anyway I'm sure, so maybe a helpful topic to continue this discussion is what kind of healthy portable food is good to bring for snacks on the train.

I went 36 hours on the train and only purchased coffee and bottled water on board, I brought rice crackers, cut up cheese, carrot sticks (could have been other cut up vegetables too), apples, corn chips and the main thing I had was fresh juice from my juicer that I froze in plastic water bottles, I packed this in a small soft sided cooler, put that in a tote back with the rest of the stuff, the frozen juice kept the other stuff cold til the very end. You could go longer with ice in ziploc bags since ice cubes are available on board. Oh I had trail mix, homemade from raw nuts and dried fruit.

I bring my lunch to work every day, I have almonds, dried cranberries, candied ginger, chocolate stashed away there and carry apples when they are in season, sliced cheese, carrot sticks and hummous or homemade cream cheese spread.

Oranges keep well too and are refreshing, all you need for all this stuff is a jackknife, some paper napkins, etc.

That fizzy drink product called Emergen-C is a great thing to travel with, I always bring some, and a plastic cup but they have a pitcher of ice water and plastic cups in the bistro car here too, so you could bring all sorts of drink powders if you like that sort of thing. The Emergen-C is good cause it has vitamins and minerals that help your immune system and help with stress.

You could put peanut butter in a little plastic tub with a lid and bring a plastic knife and have that on rice cakes. Also I have a good coconut macaroon recipe that is wheat free and those travel very well and are filling and nutritious.

There is a website minimus.biz that sells travel sizes of all sorts of things, including snacks (some of which are gluten-free). I have not purchased anything from the website, but I plan to in the near future.

Well, I had a horrible experience with Amtrak Customer Service and got off the phone in tears. She said there was nothing she could do to help me, and suggested I bring my own food onboard. It was the worst feeling ever. She refused to transfer me to someone else and said have a nice day. I don't know what to do - I feel so helpless. There is no way I can handle 45 hours (with no delays) on Pamela's choc chip cookies, eggs, and cereal bars. It is such a bad feeling when you feel like you are punished for having a sickness. I wasn't asking for any special treatment, just info on what would be safe and not cooked with gluten. I guess I am out of luck. Thanks for your support and suggestions - I can't bring the microwave or hot plate as we are going on an Alaskan Cruise and it is not allowed. There are no "Ramen" style meals that use hot water, and I can't eat oatmeal as it has gluten in it. Anyway, it just really broke my heart that they said there was nothing they could do, and no one I could talk to. Thanks again for being so kind -
Try not to let it upset you. It will work out one way or the other.

When you call back, just ask for a supervisor right away-the person you talked to should have transferred you. I would try again, & see if they can find ingredient listings for the menu. Someone somewhere should have that.

If that does not work, I would pack a cooler with foods you can eat. Fruit, juice, veggies, yogurt, cheese, nuts, etc. If you eat meat, maybe some lunch meat-make a meat plate. You could always ask if they could prepare a meat plate by leaving the bread out of a sandwich. I really think most of the meat offerings won't have gluten. I would ask on board.

They usually offer grits in the morning too, which are made of hominy. (white corn) It's pretty bland, but some people like it.

We pack a small cooler with treats-soft cheese & wine for snacks.

I just got back from an Amtrak trip on the Empire Builder. The hamburgers definitely have gluten in them - having a huge bad reaction to the burger. The other food I ate did not give me a problem. I had an omelet, chicken, baked potato, salad, and raspberry sorbet. I was surprised to have several options. The staff is however unwilling to even hear about your gluten intolerance- I think they are overworked, cause they are just generally cranky.

That's great that this topic got bumped today. I just made reservations for January for the Empire Builder, PDX to MSP and back, with a stopover in Fargo. Took advantage of the 25% off sale just before it expired. I got tickets for 155.00 each way. It seems cheap enough. Using AGR points didn't seem efficient. I will use them to get from Bellingham to Portland and back.

This gluten free issue will come up for me on my trip, although I will be traveling coach and trying not to spend any money, so I will probably mostly bring my own food. But I see that I posted some helpful lists of food to carry on this thread last year, handy timing to see someone bump my own handy information for me, thanks! :)

A little cooler with cut up vegetables, cream cheese dip, apples, peanut butter, cheese, rice crackers, etc, it will be fine I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back