Gluten-Free Breakfast on #58?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C855B

Service Attendant
OK, you guys can stop rolling your eyes now. :p

Seriously - my wife is gluten-sensitive, and gets moderately ill (and makes me miserable in the process) from eating even small amounts of wheat. We're on the N/B CONO in a few days to connect in CHI, and I'm not real interested in a cross-country trip with her feeling lousy for the first couple of days. She probably isn't, either.

So in prep, I just noticed the CONO menu says "...express continental breakfast... on... 58." I can live with this, I'm a bread-and-pastry hound anyway. Not exactly fine dining, but as I explained to her, this is essentially what we encountered last year on the Portland leg of the EB. In that instance the friendly and sympathetic lounge attendant built her a gluten-free meal from what was available in the snack cases.

So... does the DCA on 58 have similar flexibility? Or does my wife have to bring her own breakfast, even though we've already paid for it in our bedroom fare?

I'd like to read comments and ideas anyway, but in the meanwhile I called AGR customer service. The solution we arrived upon was to pre-order a kosher breakfast, which turns out to be a version of the omelet on the southbound menu. We'll see how that works out considering they don't normally do the prefab omelet for northbound.

Oh, regular dining car menu items haven't ever been a problem. She just hands me her bread, crackers or whatever and we're fine. Like I said, the LCA worked with us the one instance we were limited to a "box breakfast" on the last day of #27.

We'll see how it goes with the kosher meal request. If all else fails, we can scrounge something from the lounge snack selections to tide her over until arriving in CHI. The rest of the trip should be no issue, it's just the abbreviated-abbreviated menu of the northbound CONO that has us a little vexed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back