Glacier Park

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
I've been jinxed on my Glacier Park Plans for four years. I'm beginning to think I'm being told something! Is it worth the money to hop off in West Glacier for a couple of days or is the train ride comparable to visiting the park???? This may well be my last LD Trip & I'm trying to decide whether to do a stop in Glacier ( on a STP-WAS-CHI-WGL round trip or or do a STP-WAS-CHI-SAS-LAX-PDX-CHI-NYC-STP. Any advice out there???

Thanx

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me, and it were my last trip, I would take the second option, and take the longest trip I could.

You would see alot more that way than just one stop at Glacier. Although Ive been to Glacier Park twice, *not on Amtrak*, if you want that last adventure, the longer trip seems like the best one. Just my 2 cents. :)

I am doing an AGR trip in April similar to the one you describe, except that I am starting in Orlando and connecting to Chicago through NYP.

When I did my first cross country trip in 2010, I stopped in West Glacier for one day. When I was initially planning the trip, to save money, I was not going to stop in West Glacier. However, too many friends told me I was being "silly" not to stop. I even changed the timing of my trip (moving it up a couple of weeks to make sure the Going to the Sun Road would not be closed). I am not sorry I made the change. I only stayed 24 hours, but it was well worth it. I did a Red Bus Tour and boat tour on Lake McDonald. It was magnificent. The scenery is certainly nothing like anything you will ever see in Florida. (LOL)

Aint that the truth Penny. Both times in Glacier, the scenery still amazed me.

I was thinking, instead of an either or scenario, you could sorta do what Penny did, and do BOTH *if finances allow it*. That would make for an epic LD trip.

I am doing an AGR trip in April similar to the one you describe, except that I am starting in Orlando and connecting to Chicago through NYP.

When I did my first cross country trip in 2010, I stopped in West Glacier for one day. When I was initially planning the trip, to save money, I was not going to stop in West Glacier. However, too many friends told me I was being "silly" not to stop. I even changed the timing of my trip (moving it up a couple of weeks to make sure the Going to the Sun Road would not be closed). I am not sorry I made the change. I only stayed 24 hours, but it was well worth it. I did a Red Bus Tour and boat tour on Lake McDonald. It was magnificent. The scenery is certainly nothing like anything you will ever see in Florida. (LOL)
So the stop over in GP is worth the time & money spent!??? I didnt know if the Train Trip between East Glacier & West Glacier was comparable to the Red Bus Tour!!!! Also, I didnt know if Highland Glacier Resort, Village Inn at Apgar or Lake McDonald Lodge would be the best stay?!?!?

RF

Glacier park is an amazing place. You should stop if you can.

So the stop over in GP is worth the time & money spent!??? I didnt know if the Train Trip between East Glacier & West Glacier was comparable to the Red Bus Tour!!!! Also, I didnt know if Highland Glacier Resort, Village Inn at Apgar or Lake McDonald Lodge would be the best stay?!?!?

RF
Yes, in my opinion, it is worth it. I do not think the train trip between East Glacier and West Glacier is any where near comparable to the Red Bus Tour. I only took a 3 hour tour, due to time constraints. I stayed at Lake McDonald Lodge for the convenience of having the 3 hour tour start there. I made my reservations at the Lodge almost a year in advance and arranged for a park service shuttle pick me up at the train station and take me to the lodge and return the next morning. I believe I paid $10 each way. There was a small fee to enter the park also, but I did not have to pay a vehicle fee. I was there Labor Day weekend in 2010 and there was some snow at the higher elevations (aka Canadian sand). The day I left, there were storm warnings and some of the hikers changed their plans because they did not want to hike in the snow.

RF
Yes, in my opinion, it is worth it. I do not think the train trip between East Glacier and West Glacier is any where near comparable to the Red Bus Tour. I only took a 3 hour tour, due to time constraints. I stayed at Lake McDonald Lodge for the convenience of having the 3 hour tour start there. I made my reservations at the Lodge almost a year in advance and arranged for a park service shuttle pick me up at the train station and take me to the lodge and return the next morning. I believe I paid $10 each way. There was a small fee to enter the park also, but I did not have to pay a vehicle fee. I was there Labor Day weekend in 2010 and there was some snow at the higher elevations (aka Canadian sand). The day I left, there were storm warnings and some of the hikers changed their plans because they did not want to hike in the snow.
Thanx Penny,

I remember your trip, as I was planning another trip around that time. ( You're to blame for my interest today, which is a good thing!!!! :) ) I guess I may fly to ELP again, take a one zone (roomette) trip to WGL, spend a couple of days in Glacier, take coach to WPT & switch to a 2 zone roomette to CHI-NYP-STP. Or I could ......, here we go again!!!! :eek: :p :giggle:

I've been to Glacier several times, but I have never taken the EB there - we've also been jinxed! We hope to conquer the jinx with a trip this summer. So, I can't answer your question about the train scenery yet, but I will say that having seen most of the great national parks of the west, Glacier National Park is my favorite. And, within Glacier, Lake McDonald is probably the most beautiful place I've ever seen. I know the train itself actually skirts the southern side of the park, so you really need to go into the park itself to see the most scenic sites.

As others have said, you can take the Red Bus tours all over the park. If you'd like a less "structured" tour, Lake McDonald is at the west end of the free shuttle system that crosses the park. If you want to be able to stop and look around, or maybe do some hiking, the shuttle can be a great way to get around.

As for the scenery from the train, while it's very scenic, it's nothing like the scenery in the park itself. Last year I took the EB from Spokane to East Glacier, and the fact the EB was a bit late, coupled with the time of year (late June) allowed me to see the scenery in daylight beginning in Idaho, and I thought the scenery west of West Glacier was every bit as beautiful if not more so than between West and East Glacier. Have to agree with Lake McDonald. Absolutley gorgeous!! If you have a chance to take a Red Bus tour, I recommend one that takes you over Going - to - the - Sun Road. Absolutely spectacular! Be aware, however, that GTTSR sometimes isn't open until July. Again, go for it! You won't be sorry!

I cannot comment of the Inn at Apgar, but I thoroughly enjoyed Lake McDonald Lodge. I had a nice room (but there were no elevators so I had to walk up stairs with luggage). I had lunch in their bar (burger and craft beer) overlooking Lake McDonald. I had dinner in their restaurant (salmon and craft beer) also overlooking Lake McDonald. There is a magnificent fire place in the lobby with rocking chairs surrounding it. I am no sure what I spent for the room (I think $179), but it was worth it. I had to make the reservation in advance and prepay.

OK , :) I'm in AGAIN!!!! Thanx for everyone's advice. All I need now is some better luck than in the past!!!! :giggle: I'll be stayng 3 nights at the Lake McDonald Lodge in their H-Room on the 1st Floor! Was going to take a cabin but didnt want to risk a long walk with my old legs!

RF

OK , :) I'm in AGAIN!!!! Thanx for everyone's advice. All I need now is some better luck than in the past!!!! :giggle: I'll be stayng 3 nights at the Lake McDonald Lodge in their H-Room on the 1st Floor! Was going to take a cabin but didnt want to risk a long walk with my old legs!

RF
I hope your visit to Lake McDonald Lodge and Glacier National Park will be as nice as mine was. I think you made a good decision to stay in the Lodge.

Glacier Park is a very special place. If you can go, definitely get a tour on one of the Red Bus Jammers! I recommend you do the tour early in your stay because there is a good chance you will become friends with the people on your Jammer tour. A camera with a lens that goes long for wildlife and wide for scenic vistas is great to have. The Highland Glacier is very basic, right oppo the Amtrak station on Hwy 2. Knotty pine walls, older bathrooms but it has a nice little cafe.

It is a 1 mile walk from Amtrak to the area where the Village Inn at Apgar is. Apgar is a bit more of 50's kind of travel lodge on the lake with cabins inland. There is a ranger center, a cafe, ice cream cones, shop and a BEAUTIFUL lake view. The Lake McDonald lodge is like traveling in time. It is a bit touristy, like the Apgar, but it is right on the Lake and is surrounded by lake, forest and trails. I really loved staying at the Glacier Highland, but if I had it to do over, I would stay at Apgar for the lively scene. If I wanted quiet, I would stay at the Lake McDonald Lodge. Both are great.

I did my first cross country trip in 2010, I stopped in West Glacier for one day. When I was initially planning the trip, to save money, I was not going to stop in West Glacier. However, too many friends told me I was being "silly" not to stop. I even changed the timing of my trip (moving it up a couple of weeks to make sure the Going to the Sun Road would not be closed). I am not sorry I made the change. I only stayed 24 hours, but it was well worth it. I did a Red Bus Tour and boat tour on Lake McDonald. It was magnificent. The scenery is certainly nothing like anything you will ever see in Florida. (LOL)

RF

Google Maps reports Apgar Village as a 2.7 mile drive from the West Glacier Amtrak station. The lodgings at Apgar village are 1950's style motel rooms with paper thin walls. Lake McDonald lodge is a throwback to a rustic hunting lodge and is situated in a more scenic area than Apgar. The drive over Logan Pass from Lake McDonald to the east side of the park is a glorious one. Personally, I like the scenery on the east side of the park especially St Mary's Lake and also Many Glacier Lodge in the northeastern part of the park. There is a small display in the lobby of the Many Glacier Hotel detailing the history of the Great Northern Railway's construction to the park. Marias Pass was not discovered until about 1888. It has one of the lowest elevations of any pass across the Rockies. Glacier is one of the most scenic national parks. Enjoy your trip, you'll have a lot of fun.

When our boys were small our summer vacations consisted of camping in national forests. While without exception they were wonderful, our favorite, by far, was Glacier National Park. It's been years since I've been there, but I'm jealous that you'll be going soon. Enjoy!

I had no idea it was 2.7 miles in a car. I walked to Apgar from Glacier Highlands/Amtrak station every day, sometimes twice a day, for 3 or 4 days and it seemed much shorter. Maybe the walking path cuts off 0.2 miles by going straighter, but it can't be much shorter than 2.5 miles walking then, so I definitely wouldn't carry my luggage. Nice walk though. The cut off trail is just beyond the park entrance kiosk on the left.

Railfreek, the Lake McDonald Lodge is a rustic charmer! The lake is beautiful there, great photography opportunities!

Google Maps reports Apgar Village as a 2.7 mile drive from the West Glacier Amtrak station. The lodgings at Apgar village are 1950's style motel rooms with paper thin walls. Lake McDonald lodge is a throwback to a rustic hunting lodge and is situated in a more scenic area than Apgar. The drive over Logan Pass from Lake McDonald to the east side of the park is a glorious one. Personally, I like the scenery on the east side of the park especially St Mary's Lake and also Many Glacier Lodge in the northeastern part of the park. There is a small display in the lobby of the Many Glacier Hotel detailing the history of the Great Northern Railway's construction to the park. Marias Pass was not discovered until about 1888. It has one of the lowest elevations of any pass across the Rockies. Glacier is one of the most scenic national parks. Enjoy your trip, you'll have a lot of fun.

Rail Freak,

I'm just catching up on reading AU, since I just got back from a CS trip, but let me add my vote to everyone else's - Glacier Park is definitely worth a few days. The Red Bus Tours are excellent, and let you see the scenery without having to drive at the same time. The Going-to-the-Sun Road is great, but you really want someone else behind the wheel for a lot of it! A couple of logistical issues to consider:

• The Red Bus Tours don't start until mid-June, and may be delayed due to the weather. July and August are safest, but, of course, that's when the park is the most crowded. Pretty much everything shuts down (including Amtrak's East Glacier station) after Labor Day.
  • Glacier Park Lodge in East Glacier has the most options for tours, but there are several available from other locations. If you want areas that are less crowded, you might want to stay at Many Glacier or at the Izaak Walton Inn in Essex -- for real foamers, you can stay in a caboose or a loco! -- and it's one of the few places that is open year-round, since they have cross-country skiing in the winter.
  • Don't plan on taking a tour the same day you arrive, just in case the Empire Builder is late.
  • There are some shuttles, operated both by the tour people and by the Park Service. The NPS is trying to encourage fewer cars in the park, since it can get awfully crowded in peak season. But if you aren't renting a car, you'll want to plan your schedule carefully.

Talk on the phone to the Glacier Park Inc. people at 406.892.2525. They can help you with planning trips that work for you. (Note that Izaak Walton is separately owned, but one of the tours does stop there.) Enjoy! Oh, and don't forget -- your cell phone won't work in the park. Now that's what I call a vacation!

RF
While train ride between East Glacier and West Glacier is nice it's not even close to the views of Glacier Park itself. Train doesn't go inside the park.I am planning to stop at Glacier Park for at least 5 days this summer.

While I think that Glacier is a great park, and the EB is a great way to get there, I wouldn't entirely agree with Amtrak on its summary of the EB route. As their web page for the EB currently states, " Visit Glacier National Park during the Centennial celebration, and enjoy educational programs, art events and special activities commemorating the 100th anniversary of the park." Glacier's Centennial was in 2010, so it's about 3 years out of date...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back