Gift Certificates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rile42

Lead Service Attendant
My sister is planning on giving Amtrak gift certificates to her son and daughter. On the website, it states that discounts do not apply to gift certificates. I think I understand what that means but thought I'd check with the experts here. I told her that meant you could not apply, for example, a AAA 10% discount when purchasing the certificate. But, once you have the certificate, all discounts on ticket purchases, such as rail sale, AAA, NARP and the like would apply even though a gift certificate was used in the purchase. Is that a correct assessment?

You have interpreted the terms correctly. Redeeming a gift certificate at a station is just liek paying cash for the tickets since you will then be eligible for any discounts you can find off the regular fare prices. The only difference is your change after purchasing tickets will still be in the form of an Amtrak credit voucher and not cash back.

The only real discount one would be able to apply to a purchase from the Amtrak Store would be the 10-15%Guest Rewards members' discount on merchandise - Amtrak doesn't discount the merchandise for AAA, Student Advantage, Seniors etc. Amtrak doesn't want people buying the gift certificates for 10-15% off their face value and then buying train tickets at an additional 10-15% off with valid everyday AAA or other group discounts.

Amtrak gift certificates make excellent presents. I am glad to hear I am not the only one buying them as Christmas presents.

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back