Getting off and on the train - besides destinations.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty good with maps. :) Are there maps available of the train stations? I'd need one to physically hold. I feel like the more I can hear and see about what I'll be experiencing the easier it will be to navigate.

I'm pretty good with maps. :) Are there maps available of the train stations? I'd need one to physically hold. I feel like the more I can hear and see about what I'll be experiencing the easier it will be to navigate.
Which stations are you thinking about? You can google <station> map and find some.

Here's Washington Union Station. The maps are on the right side (in case the size is huge like it is on my laptop).

http://www.unionstationdc.com/pdfs/DirectoryMap.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great! Thanks. It looks like a large mall full of shops but you can also catch tour buses there. Hmmm. Might like to take a tour bus but that's probably spendy with a family.

As long as you're going have a map, I,d recommend a small pocket compass to tell you which way is which.

That's great! Thanks. It looks like a large mall full of shops but you can also catch tour buses there. Hmmm. Might like to take a tour bus but that's probably spendy with a family.
Just realize that shops and food places may have changed locations or closed since that map was created. I did not look at it closely to see if it's up-to-date.

I was there recently and there's a nice size Walgreens in one corner of the Food Court on lower level - I think where 117 is.

Might like to take a tour bus but that's probably spendy with a family.
You can take the National Mall Circulator bus out front for $1 each. Get on & off for free for 2 hours. It goes to all major attractions on the mall. Entire r/t = 1 hr. I did it last week between trains hoping to see cherry blossoms around the Jefferson Memorial and Tidal Basin. Just google 'national mall circulator' for details and map.

OH! Hadn't tho't of that. Are there no smoking cars? I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I guess I'll people watch from the train window and hope to see someone running to catch the moving train. LOL
You'll also get that wonderful announcement on the train as you approach a smoking stop that goes something to the effect of: "XXX is a designated smoking stop, feel free to step outside to smoke or catch a breath of fresh air."

Which always makes me wonder, where exactly will the fresh air be if people are smoking?

OH! Hadn't tho't of that. Are there no smoking cars? I'm allergic to cigarette smoke. I guess I'll people watch from the train window and hope to see someone running to catch the moving train. LOL
You'll also get that wonderful announcement on the train as you approach a smoking stop that goes something to the effect of: "XXX is a designated smoking stop, feel free to step outside to smoke or catch a breath of fresh air."

Which always makes me wonder, where exactly will the fresh air be if people are smoking?
Anywhere upwind. On a positive note, I've noticed far less people smoking these days then when I took my first Amtrak ride almost 40 years ago.

I've noticed far less people smoking these days then when I took my first Amtrak ride almost 40 years ago.
It also depends on the area of the country. Last week I noticed far fewer people smoking in Florida than here in Virginia where it is more like 40 years ago. And CA is dramatically smoke free. I do see more and more young people vaping which is somewhat alarming. Vaping is also forbidden on the train.

I've noticed far less people smoking these days then when I took my first Amtrak ride almost 40 years ago.
It also depends on the area of the country. Last week I noticed far fewer people smoking in Florida than here in Virginia where it is more like 40 years ago. And CA is dramatically smoke free. I do see more and more young people vaping which is somewhat alarming. Vaping is also forbidden on the train.
I grew up in VA back in the 50's and 60's and agree with you. However, when I return now I notice a drastic reduction across the board. Utah remains #1 as having the least amount of smokers and CA follows in second place (2015 numbers). VA is about mid-pack of all the states. Florida varies dramatically statewide. Far more smokers in the Panhandle and northern Florida. Yes, that vaping is alarming and I've noticed the young people as well. Even more alarming is the use of Copenhagen chew out West. I used to live in Montana and Wyoming and have seen lots of young guys with horrible gum disease, which can lead to cancer and loss of your jaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back