Getting from EMY to San Francisco

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackGraham

Train Attendant
My SO and I have planned our first long trip on Amtrak, taking the Coast Starlight from LA to Emeryville. Because I took the Surfliner every week for work for months, I was able to use points to get a bedroom going up and roomette coming down, even though the trip isn't technically overnight. Figured why not splurge on the first trip, make a good first impression, eh?

My question is getting from the Emeryville station to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco late at night. Theoretically the CS is supposed to arrive at EMY at 10pm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is late given some of what I've read. We are staying at the Hilton right at the Wharf (also points, woohoo!). So the question is: is Emeryville a big station that will have cabs at a cab stand all night, or should I maybe call one when we get close? Or is there a shuttle of some kind? Is the station safe enough at at night to wait around for a cab? Is it hard to get a cab there?

Thanks in advance

My SO and I have planned our first long trip on Amtrak, taking the Coast Starlight from LA to Emeryville. Because I took the Surfliner every week for work for months, I was able to use points to get a bedroom going up and roomette coming down, even though the trip isn't technically overnight. Figured why not splurge on the first trip, make a good first impression, eh?
My question is getting from the Emeryville station to Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco late at night. Theoretically the CS is supposed to arrive at EMY at 10pm, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is late given some of what I've read. We are staying at the Hilton right at the Wharf (also points, woohoo!). So the question is: is Emeryville a big station that will have cabs at a cab stand all night, or should I maybe call one when we get close? Or is there a shuttle of some kind? Is the station safe enough at at night to wait around for a cab? Is it hard to get a cab there?

Thanks in advance
First of all, Jack, welcome to our forum!

Amtrak has bus service to all of the San Francisco stops. In your case, you would take bus 6014, which leaves 13 minutes after the CS arrives in EMY. If you call and change your reservation from EMY to SFW, you will have a seat on the bus to Fisherman's Wharf. The bus will wait for the Starlight to arrive, as it a dedicated run for that train.

Also, I'm fairly certain there would be cabs waiting at EMY, but why pay for a cab?

Hope this helps.

Mike

P.S. Thanks Jackal :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it won't add any dollars to the fare, since he's redeeming AGR points for the ticket. There should be no charges for this change--just call AGR and ask them to change it. (I'm surprised they didn't say anything to you when you booked it.)

See the trip report linked in my signature for a rundown on my experience going halfway (I got off in PRB). Since you'll be in a sleeper, you can take full advantage of the Pacific Parlour Car, including the special meals they serve only to sleeper passengers there (although you'll want to try a Flat Iron Steak in the regular dining car at least once!).

And, if the train is late, the bus won't leave until the train arrives and you board the bus.

Amtrak has bus service to all of the San Francisco stops. In your case, you would take bus 6014, which leaves 13 minutes after the CS arrives in EMY. If you call and change your reservation from EMY to SFW, you will have a seat on the bus to Fisherman's Wharf. It may add a few dollars to the fare. The bus will wait for the Starlight to arrive, as it a dedicated run for that train.
Also, I'm fairly certain there would be cabs waiting at EMY, but why spend more?

Hope this helps.

Mike
Thanks! I had no idea there was a dedicated bus related to the CS. I was afraid of depending on public transport connection in case the train is late, because the entire point of us taking the train is to not be stressed out by the travel, and worrying about connections. I am *so* looking forward to just enjoying the ride.

It looks like I'll have to call because amtrak.com keeps trying to route me by bus to Bakersfield then to SFW. Is there some other place than the main trip planner page I should look? I didn't even know Amtrak did buses except as backups when trains are stopped.

We're actually coming from OSD via Surfliner. The night before our departure, we are staying in LA to see a show, but coming back, does the 10:10 Southbound Surfliner wait for the CS to arrive (scheduled at 9pm)? How would I find this info out, I can't find anything about it on the website. I don't know how connections work with Amtrak, I've only ever done Surfliner trips.

I just absolutely do not want to be stressed about making connections, even if I have to pay more.

Thanks! I had no idea there was a dedicated bus related to the CS. I was afraid of depending on public transport connection in case the train is late, because the entire point of us taking the train is to not be stressed out by the travel, and worrying about connections. I am *so* looking forward to just enjoying the ride.
It looks like I'll have to call because amtrak.com keeps trying to route me by bus to Bakersfield then to SFW. Is there some other place than the main trip planner page I should look? I didn't even know Amtrak did buses except as backups when trains are stopped.

We're actually coming from OSD via Surfliner. The night before our departure, we are staying in LA to see a show, but coming back, does the 10:10 Southbound Surfliner wait for the CS to arrive (scheduled at 9pm)? How would I find this info out, I can't find anything about it on the website. I don't know how connections work with Amtrak, I've only ever done Surfliner trips.

I just absolutely do not want to be stressed about making connections, even if I have to pay more.
Jack,

You'll actually be connecting to the bus in Oakland (Jack London Sq stop). CS arrives Oakland at 9:32, and the bus (#6014) is scheduled to depart at 9:45, but again, it WILL WAIT for the train, no matter how late it is. No worries about that connection. You simply walk off the train, straight through the station, out the front door, and the bus will be waiting there for you in the driveway.

Again, you will need to call AGR back and have them rebook this trip from OSD to LAX to OKJ to SFW. They're all valid connections. You can preview the itinerary by going to Amtrak.com, entering OSD as your departure point and SFW as your destination, with a 7 AM estimated departure time.

-Rafi

Jack,
You'll actually be connecting to the bus in Oakland (Jack London Sq stop). CS arrives Oakland at 9:32, and the bus (#6014) is scheduled to depart at 9:45, but again, it WILL WAIT for the train, no matter how late it is. No worries about that connection. You simply walk off the train, straight through the station, out the front door, and the bus will be waiting there for you in the driveway.

Again, you will need to call AGR back and have them rebook this trip from OSD to LAX to OKJ to SFW. They're all valid connections. You can preview the itinerary by going to Amtrak.com, entering OSD as your departure point and SFW as your destination, with a 7 AM estimated departure time.

-Rafi
Okay, thanks for the info, I'll give them a call. How do you guys know this stuff? I can't even get it to route me that way, it keeps sending me to Bakersfield. And I definitely cannot find anything on the website about the fact that the bus will wait for the train, which is amazing to me. I'm... I'm not actually used to that kind of customer service!

And I'm sure you regulars know this but in case anyone else doesn't know, you can earn Amtrak points with Hilton as part of their Double Dip points. I actually have been racking up more AGR points via the Hilton bonus than actual rail miles going OSD-LAX every week (and the Hilton is paid for with OPM...) But they spend just as easily for that sweet free bedroom goodness! And no BS 'only 2 seats available on 2am flights with two connections twelve months in advance' redemption shenanigans like with the airlines.

Now if I could only convince the girlie to skip SFO and go all the way to Seattle... Next time, next time.

You simply walk off the train, straight through the station
No entering the station; OKJ's not set up that way. Bus area is right next to the platform, and the station is off to the side, in a sort of corner position.
I stand corrected—I wasn't thinking straight. In Emeryville you walk through the station, and that's where my mind was. OKJ's busses are much more obvious when arriving by train, that's for sure.

-Rafi

I can't even get it to route me that way, it keeps sending me to Bakersfield.
Well, I'm not doing anything special to get that routing, really. What day are you trying to look at? Make sure you set it at least a few days in advance and make sure you put in that 7 AM departure time. For example, here's a screen shot of my search:

Safari001.jpg

-Rafi

I recently booked a trip on the CS from LAX to San Francisco-Fisherman's Wharf. Then I found a good deal on a hotel closer to the Ferry Building. I called Amtrak and got the reservation changed and it saved me $8. :) The bus also stops at the Ferry Building sooner and leaves later when we head to EMY to catch the CZ to Denver. However, I've read that the driver can change the route on the way from Oakland so we won't be shocked if that happens. I was on hold for a few minutes but the agent couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Have a great trip!

If you're using points for this trip, you MUST call AGR. True, you can book some trips online - but NOT if they involve connection (as this does) or sleepers (as this does)!

The secret to just finding the times online is that you have to enter the departure time. For example if you enter LAX-SFC, it will not show the CS option automatically. The website defaults to the time as "anytime", so it shows the 1:15 AM departure, the 4:45 AM departure, and I think one other. The website only displays a certain number of lines, and since the CS departs at 10:15 AM and those # of lines were already used, it does not show. But f you enter a departure time f say 9 AM or 110 AM, you will see the CS!

Okay, thanks for the info, I'll give them a call. How do you guys know this stuff? I can't even get it to route me that way, it keeps sending me to Bakersfield. And I definitely cannot find anything on the website about the fact that the bus will wait for the train, which is amazing to me. I'm... I'm not actually used to that kind of customer service!
It is listed in the Amtrak National Time Table, which shows all the bus connections that Amtrak sponsors.

And I'm sure you regulars know this but in case anyone else doesn't know, you can earn Amtrak points with Hilton as part of their Double Dip points. I actually have been racking up more AGR points via the Hilton bonus than actual rail miles going OSD-LAX every week (and the Hilton is paid for with OPM...) But they spend just as easily for that sweet free bedroom goodness! And no BS 'only 2 seats available on 2am flights with two connections twelve months in advance' redemption shenanigans like with the airlines.
And yes, that's one of the best things that I like about Hilton. I've collected over 50,000 AGR points thanks to Hilton. :) And of course I was still busy earning free hotel rooms too! :) :)

You simply walk off the train, straight through the station
No entering the station; OKJ's not set up that way. Bus area is right next to the platform, and the station is off to the side, in a sort of corner position.
I stand corrected—I wasn't thinking straight. In Emeryville you walk through the station, and that's where my mind was.
Actually, you walk around the station building to the left (with the tracks behind you) to get to the buses in Emeryville. Certainly, that's where the sign is for the San Francisco buses....

Amtrak has bus service to all of the San Francisco stops. In your case, you would take bus 6014, which leaves 13 minutes after the CS arrives in EMY. If you call and change your reservation from EMY to SFW, you will have a seat on the bus to Fisherman's Wharf. It may add a few dollars to the fare. The bus will wait for the Starlight to arrive, as it a dedicated run for that train.
Also, I'm fairly certain there would be cabs waiting at EMY, but why spend more?

Hope this helps.

Mike

I don't believe the Surfliner will wait for the CS, because it is primarily servicing local traffic originating at LAUS. However, I believe I have heard that if the CS misses the Surfliner connection, Amtrak will run a Thruway bus for passengers connecting from the Starlight.

Regardless, if Amtrak misses the connection, Amtrak is responsible to (and they WILL, from what I've seen around here) make arrangements for you somehow, whether it is providing alternate transportation (a Thruway bus), contracting with another carrier to provide transportation (maybe a Greyhound bus or a Metrolink train, if one runs late enough, or even a taxi--it's not unheard of!), or providing you with a hotel room until a morning Surfliner departure (possibly at the nearby Metro Plaza, which is where the crews stay). I'm not sure specifically how it is handled in SoCal, though.

And it's not really just customer service that causes the Thruway bus to wait--it's the fact that a majority of the passengers traveling on the bus are probably connecting from the Starlight, so if it departed on time, it would probably be empty! Still, Amtrak is pretty good about making sure their travelers are taken care of, and their customer service is pretty good compared to most airlines. A non-insignificant number of agents and staffers are of the surly type, but they are real people--not just people with plastic smiles--and they will work to make sure you are taken care of as best as possible.

Also, Amtrak California operates a good number of connecting bus lines, called Thruway Bus services, to supplement their Pacific Surfliner, San Joaquins, and Capitol Corridor services. Try here for the "interactive route atlas"--click the "Launch Route Atlas" button, wait for it to load, and then zoom into California, and you'll see the Thruway Bus lines in green:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...&ssid=10873

(Due to a state law, you must book the bus ticket in conjunction with a train trip--Greyhound lobbied for this law because they thought it was unfair for a state-sponsored service to compete with private enterprise.)

I don't believe the Surfliner will wait for the CS, because it is primarily servicing local traffic originating at LAUS. However, I believe I have heard that if the CS misses the Surfliner connection, Amtrak will run a Thruway bus for passengers connecting from the Starlight.
It's not unusual for the 1010 PM Surfliner to wait for up to 30 minutes for the Starlight to connect if it looks like the Starlight will make that connection (I believe they make that decision no later than 8 PM based on where the Starlight is at the time, based on what NARP has told me). If the Starlight misses that surfliner, then passengers are put onto either a 1:05 AM motorcoach (if heading to Fullerton or Santa Ana) or a 2:50 AM motorcoach if headed to any other surfliner stop. Because surfliner tickets are unreserved (unless going in Business Class), passengers also have the option of waiting for a next-day train out of LAX at no charge. Business Class folks can do that to, but they have to exchange the ticket when the ticket office opens the next morning.

-Rafi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back