Get that prime rib while we can

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
With all the gloomy forecast about the future (sleepers, diners lounges and Amtrak itself) , I decided it is time I planned some kind of trip this year.

My personal travel budget is about what many in DC wish Amtrak's were: ZERO.

But many clouds are on the horizon as we all well know so I have reserved a trip.

Instead of going from ATL to NY, I will ride a lowly Greyhound bus (which I suspect will be on time) from ATL to BHM on the morning of March 23.

Then, that afternoon, coming back from BHM on to NYP I will be in a bedroom (courtesy Amtrak Guest Rewards) the whole 24 hours or however long it will wind up taking from BHM to NYP, and get all my meals.

As late as the n.b has been lately getting that prime rib out of ATL seems a lost cause.

Once arriving NYP 3/24, I will stay at the Hotel Penn and come back the next afternoon, roomette, this time just to ATL.

Should be a nice trip, that long free stretch from BHM to NYP, especially. I will pay for the roomette s.b. from NYP to ATL.

Better get those meals and beds while we can.

God knows I have lived through so many time scarey times with the railroads...so many times back before Amtrak I rode a train for the threatened last time....wish this annual problem would get corrected one time once for all....it is a pain.

But this trip should be quite nice. Too bad I don't want to chance the s.b. getting me to BHM in time to catch the n.b. back, but got to be realistic. And don't want to miss the big trip for the sake of ATl to BHM.

Got a good deal at the Hotel Penn, also.

Bill Haithcoat said:
With all the gloomy forecast about the future (sleepers, diners lounges and Amtrak itself) , I decided it is time I planned some kind of trip this year.
My personal travel budget is about what many in DC wish Amtrak's were: ZERO.

But many clouds are on the horizon as we all well know so I have reserved a trip.

Instead of going from ATL to NY, I will ride a lowly Greyhound bus (which I suspect will be on time) from ATL to BHM on the morning of March 23.

Then, that afternoon, coming back from BHM on to NYP I will be in a bedroom (courtesy Amtrak Guest Rewards) the whole 24 hours or however long it will wind up taking from BHM to NYP, and get all my meals.

As late as the n.b has been lately getting that prime rib out of ATL seems a lost cause.

Once arriving NYP 3/24, I will stay at the Hotel Penn and come back the next afternoon, roomette, this time just to ATL.

Should be a nice trip, that long free stretch from BHM to NYP, especially. I will pay for the roomette s.b. from NYP to ATL.

Better get those meals and beds while we can.

God knows I have lived through so many time scarey times with the railroads...so many times back before Amtrak I rode a train for the threatened last time....wish this annual problem would get corrected one time once for all....it is a pain.

But this trip should be quite nice. Too bad I don't want to chance the s.b. getting me to BHM in time to catch the n.b. back, but got to be realistic. And don't want to miss the big trip for the sake of ATl to BHM.

Got a good deal at the Hotel Penn, also.
Sounds good Bill. I have done that same trip before, tell me how the rib is!

I just got back from a quick NYP-TPA in a roomette on 91 -- flew back. Hadn't been on a Viewliner for a few years, so that was nice. You know amenities have been reduced when the first class welcome lists "safety card" among the various privileges :)

Anthony said:
I just got back from a quick NYP-TPA in a roomette on 91 -- flew back. Hadn't been on a Viewliner for a few years, so that was nice. You know amenities have been reduced when the first class welcome lists "safety card" among the various privileges :)
I hope you enjoyed your trip, bro. I still haven't been called out to work so obviously I missed you. OBS...

Bill,

My current plans call for me to be on 19 the morning of the 23rd, ATL - NOL. Don't suppose I could convince you to take the gamble and ride along? :)

Actually 19 hasn't been doing all that bad into BHM most days from what I have seen - but of course if your luck is like mine . . . . . . .

Cheers,

Randy

Randy, interesting thought. Would like to meet you. Are you boarding in Atlanta, or will you already be on?

I will give this some thought, inasmuch as I would not need to make the resevation until the morning of. I will check delays between ATL and BHM carefully between now and then.

Bill,

I'll be boarding in ATL if all goes according to plan. I'll have roomette 01 which you would be welcome to share. As for watching the OTP (and speaking of my luck) I just got home to find a voice mail advising me that my original reservation on 20 to ATL from NOL on March 6 had been cancelled due to track work. Apparently 19/20 will not operate ATL-NOL (possibly elsewhere?) from Mar 6 - Mar 17, so I was forced to shift my trip to Mar 4 (departing SAS Mar 3). I suppose there is always the possibility that the track work outage could be extended . . . . let's keep our fingers crossed. Anyway, I realize that it's a roll of the dice as far as OTP on that route, but by all means consider yourself invited.

Randy

Randy, as much as I would specifically like to meet you, the "other" Randy Jay (since I already know somebody by your name).it looks more and more like I'd best hop the bus.

I have little routine of my own developed for hanging around BHM for a couple of hours. Very common for me to take the train there and back on the same day, as it had been dependable until these track problems.

Don't quite trust it now. Glad for the info about the extensive trackwork....maybe it will have a constructive effect, and in time for our trips.

Anyway, I appreciate the invite. The door is not closed--I still might call the morning of, see it is on time and change my mind (if it is no longer losing much time between Atl and BHM.) But if I HAD to make a decision this day I would think it an unwise idea.

No problem, Bill. I don't blame you for playing it safe concerning Amtrak OTP. I'll be out your way again in the coming months anyway and we can try again.

If you haven't already, be sure you check with Amtrak on your planned trip. I am now hearing the track work project will run from early March through mid-April (rather than mid March as I first assumed). As per another thread on the board and Amtrak agents, 19 and 20 are only running Fri, Sat, and Sun to NOL during this time. Don't know for sure how far north of NOL this goes - fingers crossed that it will not affect you BHM northward, but it may cause you to change your travel dates.

Randy

(sorry for the double posting)

Bill, Amtrak finally has the service disruption bulletin on the web site, and it looks like you may actually luck out on this one. On Mar 23 train 20 will originate in ATL, so in all likelihood an on-time departure (and dinner) for you, minus the Greyhound ride to BHM (which I know you will really miss!).

Randy

For those interested, 19/20 not run NOL-ATL on the following days, with train turning in ATL:

* March 6 through March 9

* March 13 through March 16

* March 20 through March 23

* March 26 through March 29

* April 3 through April 6

* April 10 through April 12

Yeah, Randy, Amtrak called me at home yesterday informed me of the change. I had to change my reservation from a BHM to NYP to an ATl to NYP.Thus scuttling BHM.

(I'll have to find another excuse to ride the silver pooch!!) :D :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back