Gentle Request Regarding Events and Time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Ruud:
"Podunk" means minor or small. In my usage, it is the opposite of a major station like CHI or NYP. A podunk station would be like ALC (jost poking fun) or just about any flag stops.

Think of them as small back-water rural towns.
Correct me if I'm wrong, the "Podunk Station" would be "PDK"?

RF :cool: :p

I confess, I'm guilty, I was the one said '' today's CZ in Burlington,Ia.'' I guess I didn't give it much thought, I'll try to do better. :lol:

GregL

While we're on a posting rant, get a spellchecker; (not naming names here...) :rolleyes: seperate

paraghraphs
Touché! :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink:

Notice that I didn't put 'spell correctly' on my list of rants? Something about throwing stones in glass houses rings a bell (wow two clichés in one sentence!). I am GUILTY as charged of being a poor typist (I know how to spell them (for the most part), but get lazy at proof reading). :blush: I do suffer from a minor form of dyslexia. No excuse, but there is a reason.

Actually, poor spelling (or mispelled words) don't bother me unless it is unintelligble like some of ray_ray's posts were. The occasional mispell is to be expected and in my book, normal (IE, not rant-worthy).
"Seperate" set me off, I see that one waaaay to often. I'm far from the perfect speller, which is why I recommended a spell checker instead of learning to spell correckly. :blink:

Hey Ruud:
"Podunk" means minor or small. In my usage, it is the opposite of a major station like CHI or NYP. A podunk station would be like ALC (jost poking fun) or just about any flag stops.

Think of them as small back-water rural towns.
Correct me if I'm wrong, the "Podunk Station" would be "PDK"?

RF :cool: :p
I'll even bet that the_traveler went through there three times in one day :lol: :cool:

I also agree with the comment about the "today", "last night's" or "last week". It is true that there is a time stamp on each post, but if you hold the cursor over the thread title in the list, it does say, "This thread started July 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM"!
Correct, simply hovering over the topic title will tell you when that topic was started, without the need to actually click the link and enter the topic to find out.
So how high do I need to hover my finger over my touch screen. I can't get it to work for the life of me, computer must be broke. :lol:

One thing I can say I'm glad I don't see too often on here is the tendency to simply refer to trains by number (though I've probably done it myself at times) but usually by name or one of the pretty self explanatory abbreviations or shorthands.

To me, it's a lot easier to get your bearings and up to speed reading:

"We took the Keystone from Elizabethtown to Metropark"

"The CZ registered a hotbox problem as it passed near Galesburg on the 18th."

than:

"Took 642 ELT-MET"

"6(16) registered code XX passing BNSF MP 27.62"

To me, it's a lot easier to get your bearings and up to speed reading:"We took the Keystone from Elizabethtown to Metropark"

"The CZ registered a hotbox problem as it passed near Galesburg on the 18th."

than:

"Took 642 ELT-MET"

"6(16) registered code XX passing BNSF MP 27.62"
Exactly. Unless you are aspergery enough to know all the codes and other techno babble that always afflicts these hobbies, then it is a pain to read, because you have to keep stopping to work out what that particular code refers to.

Should be able to read a trip report without stopping every ten seconds to thumb through the bumper book of Amtrak Bahnhof codes!

Write the stations name and stop showing off that you are sad enough to remember all of those codes!

I'm bad and I know it. Most of my posts occur on a shared computer at school running internet explorer so when I am school my posts tend to have a lot more mistakes then the ones I make here.

As for the station codes and train numbers at least I have found that I have become proficient. I rarely encounter a station code I don't know. Usually these are thuruway stops like the various codes on the bus that brings you from the CZ to San Francisco or vise versa.

Only thing that bugs me is when people do trip reports in sections thats fine but I wish they would only start one thread it gets confusing when you go back later to read a certain section, or two people are doing 2 reports in parts at the same time. I wish there would be one report one thread kind of thing going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm bad and I know it. Most of my posts occur on a shared computer at school running internet explorer so when I am school my posts tend to have a lot more mistakes then the ones I make here.
As for the station codes and train numbers at least I have found that I have become proficient. I rarely encounter a station code I don't know. Usually these are thuruway stops like the various codes on the bus that brings you from the CZ to San Francisco or vise versa.

Only thing that bugs me is when people do trip reports in sections thats fine but I wish they would only start one thread it gets confusing when you go back later to read a certain section, or two people are doing 2 reports in parts at the same time. I wish there would be one report one thread kind of thing going.

I'm sorry, I am confused....is it okay with you when a trip report is done in sections or not?

I did mine in sections because I needed to focus on one train per posting.

I was also hoping hubby would get the photos/pics set up for me. I still need to get that added in at some point.

I try to spell things out like stations & trains, because even though I am getting better at the abbreviations, I remember how confusing it was when I first got on the board.

As for mistakes, I try to proof read at least twice, then preview and correct it before posting. I too struggle with Dyslexsia, and this Netbook keyboard is kind of funky 'cause it's so small.

I'm sorry, I am confused....is it okay with you when a trip report is done in sections or not?

I was also hoping hubby would get the photos/pics set up for me. I still need to get that added in at some point.

I try to spell things out like stations & trains, because even though I am getting better at the abbreviations, I remember how confusing it was when I first got on the board.

As for mistakes, I try to proof read at least twice, then preview and correct it before posting. I too struggle with Dyslexsia, and this Netbook keyboard is kind of funky 'cause it's so small.
He's saying instead of making three different topics for three sections, make three different posts in the SAME thread. One topic per trip, but your topic can have as many posts as you want.

He's saying instead of making three different topics for three sections, make three different posts in the SAME thread. One topic per trip, but your topic can have as many posts as you want.
Correct you can break it up into 10,000 sections I like to read every trip report I just don't like when there are 10,000 new topics started for the same trip.

Correct you can break it up into 10,000 sections I like to read every trip report I just don't like when there are 10,000 new topics started for the same trip.

Guilty as charged! :blink: I guess that means I'll have to take more trips in order to refine how I post them! :lol:

:lol: Indeed, but they were all very well written, so I do hope you write more :cool:

While we're on a posting rant, get a spellchecker; (not naming names here...) :rolleyes: seperate

paraghraphs

Notice that I didn't put 'spell correctly' on my list of rants? Something about throwing stones in glass houses rings a bell (wow two clichés in one sentence!). I am GUILTY as charged of being a poor typist (I know how to spell them (for the most part), but get lazy at proof reading). :blush: I do suffer from a minor form of dyslexia. No excuse, but there is a reason.

Actually, poor spelling (or mispelled words) don't bother me unless it is unintelligble like some of ray_ray's posts were. The occasional mispell is to be expected and in my book, normal (IE, not rant-worthy).
"Seperate" set me off, I see that one waaaay to often. I'm far from the perfect speller, which is why I recommended a spell checker instead of learning to spell correckly. :blink:
I have a mental block on how to properly spell that word. That was not a typo, but a legitimate misspelling. Now that it's been discussed, perhaps I will remember how to spell separate.

paraghraphs

I have a mental block on how to properly spell that word. That was not a typo, but a legitimate misspelling. Now that it's been discussed, perhaps I will remember how to spell separate.
Don't start on mental blocks, I have some that drive me absolutely nuts!

paraghraphs

Don't start on mental blocks, I have some that drive me absolutely nuts!
I have some too, but I can't remember what they are! :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink:

Sounds like "mental constipation" to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
Perhaps that is what it is.. My mind is full of (useless) crap! :unsure: :blink: :huh:
Mine too! And I like to spread it around - so I go here, there and everywhere! :lol: :lol: :lol: Often! (It builds up fast!) :lol:

Sounds like "mental constipation" to me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:
Perhaps that is what it is.. My mind is full of (useless) crap! :unsure: :blink: :huh:
Mine too! And I like to spread it around - so I go here, there and everywhere! :lol: :lol: :lol: Often! (It builds up fast!) :lol:
If that's the case, you must miss the old flushers that went directly to the tracks!
s0731.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back