Gender of railfans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also the kind of kid who when I was 8 my mom could put me on a train headed into the city and know I'd be fine getting there and also once I was there I would have no issues getting to where I was going alone. I could also get myself on the train back home alone without help. It's amazing hat cutting the "apron strings" at a young age and not codling a child does for a person.
Take your avg. 8 these days and do that and he/she would get lost/cry/killed/do something very stupid. Parents just raised kids WAY differently these days.
At 10 years old I often rode the el alone from Forest Park to Chicago and then would walk to one of the museums. Times have changed and I'd be afraid to let my grandchild do that now.

As Whooz can tell you :rolleyes: , I'm not at all mechanically inclined. I'm just a passenger and my knowledge of Amtrak is extremely limited as to what makes the train run.

Preface: I'm sorry if this offends anybody. I know it can be an emotional subject to people who've had to deal with autism in their own families, and having seen it first hand, I definitely understand why. So please, take it as it was intended, as a non-offensive tidbit that people might find interesting.
Well here's one thing to throw out there: far more men have autism spectrum disorders, and many of the traits displayed by railfans (intense focus on a subject, passion for knowledge of details others would consider trivial, inability to understand and connect with "normals" on certain levels, etc...) could very well be considered hints of that spectrum.

To be clear, I'm not saying all railfans have autism or anything like that. Like I said, it's a spectrum. Psychologists recognize that people can fall anywhere along the range of autistic behavior from, well, slightly quirky on down to full blown disorder, and it's not at all unusual or bad for people to register on the scale. Fact is, some of the traits associated with the autism spectrum are also clear in the railfan community, so whatever causes autism to be so skewed toward males (some say 4:1 ratio) could likely also exist with regard to railfans.

And anyway, some groups of people take pride in cheerfully diagnosing themselves as autism spectrum. Just look at the groups of computer enthusiasts who celebrate self-diagnosed Asperger's syndrome as if it was a requirement to join the club :)

Interesting theory. Quite frankly we don't worry about our psychological profile and how it relates to enjoyment of train travel. If the truth be known my wife enjoys train travel more than I do. Do we place on the Autism spectrum? Who knows and who cares. As long as we are living productively, peacefully, lawfully with ethics, morals and God in our life, we are content.

A woman -- or man -- who treats a car as a practical tool is more open to riding the train when it provides any advantage (more enjoyable trips, as you say, or cheaper, or faster door-to-door) over driving than a person who treats their car as an extension of their ego.
This is a good observation. It holds more generally. For example, with a few word substitutions....

"A woman -- or man -- who treats a train as a practical tool is more open to flying when it provides any advantage (more enjoyable trips, as you say, or cheaper, or faster door-to-door) over riding the train than a person who treats their train as an extension of their ego." :lol:

OK, I think now I am going to duck :unsure:

It's kind of funny. When I was in school, I had chosen a career as an Airline Stewardess (that's what they used to call them).

I planned to get a position with TWA, was bilingual and wanted to fly all over the world.

Well, I got married & had children instead. I have not flown near as much as I wanted to.

I'm actually glad it worked out this way.

I do enjoy riding the train. To me, it's better than driving on long trips because it's less stressful.

Even though taking a plane is much faster, I still prefer to take a train if possible, for the same reasons.

Less stress, we get to see the country, meet new people.

Sometimes, the stories we hear are so touching-some good, some bad.

There have been times when we were encouraged by what we heard, sometimes the other way around.

I think the best thing for me on the train is to see hubby really relax on the train, & enjoy himself!

Preface: I'm sorry if this offends anybody. I know it can be an emotional subject to people who've had to deal with autism in their own families, and having seen it first hand, I definitely understand why. So please, take it as it was intended, as a non-offensive tidbit that people might find interesting.
Well here's one thing to throw out there: far more men have autism spectrum disorders, and many of the traits displayed by railfans (intense focus on a subject, passion for knowledge of details others would consider trivial, inability to understand and connect with "normals" on certain levels, etc...) could very well be considered hints of that spectrum.

To be clear, I'm not saying all railfans have autism or anything like that. Like I said, it's a spectrum. Psychologists recognize that people can fall anywhere along the range of autistic behavior from, well, slightly quirky on down to full blown disorder, and it's not at all unusual or bad for people to register on the scale. Fact is, some of the traits associated with the autism spectrum are also clear in the railfan community, so whatever causes autism to be so skewed toward males (some say 4:1 ratio) could likely also exist with regard to railfans.

And anyway, some groups of people take pride in cheerfully diagnosing themselves as autism spectrum. Just look at the groups of computer enthusiasts who celebrate self-diagnosed Asperger's syndrome as if it was a requirement to join the club :)

Interesting theory. Quite frankly we don't worry about our psychological profile and how it relates to enjoyment of train travel. If the truth be known my wife enjoys train travel more than I do. Do we place on the Autism spectrum? Who knows and who cares. As long as we are living productively, peacefully, lawfully with ethics, morals and God in our life, we are content.
I have run into a few guys over the years (all guys), who fall into the category of autistic railfans. I am not a medical professional and in no way making a diagnosis or value judgment. But they were totally incapable of holding a conversation on any subject whatsoever--except for railway (and maybe bus) timetables, cars, routes, right down to specific car numbers and number of seats in each car. It's fascinating and often highly informative to talk to them. You might get more information about the intricate details of Superliner I vs Superliner II in 10 minutes of chatting them up, than you would in a full day of reading this forum.

But oddly the conversation never turns to any other subject. An attempt to change the drift usually results in a blank look, staring away, and returning immediately to the subject of railroads. I'm not a psychologist or therapist, but I do believe that it's hard for people with autism to make friends, and it helps for them to have someone to talk to about their interests. I'm always fascinated by people like that and enjoy talking with them.

I have found that many people are that way-both guys & gals. There are certainly some people that you can only converse with them on one or two subjects-always their favorites-& they will become very animated & almost a different person. On other subjects they are more monotone & you wonder if they are depressed.

It also seems that some are much more detail oriented to some degree.

I just think it's based on where your interests lie, & how interested & involved you are in that subject.

The_Traveler thinks in loops and circles. :blink: How does he fit in?
He was only allowed to play with trains at Christmas time... a small circular track that went around and around and around the tree.
Actually I have it on good authority (I made it up! :lol: ) that his family was very wealthy and built him a private line that ran from the Northeast to PDX thru CHI via Texas,Southern Calif., up the Coast and returned via Washington,Montana,ND,Minn,WI,CHI and back East via WASH,ATL,BHM,NOL and then

baclk to ATL,WAS,NYP and to the NE to various and sundry stops where he resided briefly between his loophole trips as a kid! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm far from wealthy, but I do have a cousin 14 times removed (not true) named Vanderbilt! :D (I go to visit them, and they removed me from the property 14 times, before they said not to come back! :lol: )

I did have a model train layout set up, but took it down when I moved 16 years ago. In fact, I don't even know where they are now.

Myself, I ride trains, partly because it's much easier to get to the train. It's only 4 miles to go to get a train, but 30 to the airport. When I grew up, it was 7 miles to the train or 50 miles to the airport. I even worked for an airline for 2 years, but still prefer trains. In fact, I have well over 500,000 frequent flyer miles, but would rather not fly, unless I have to.

I know it's a generalization (and please don't take it the wrong way), but many females may be more inclined to get there as soon as possible, or not "waste time" going out to watch trains. (I myself do not enjoy "wasting time" shopping.) I fly only if I have to.

Oh noez I like trains and now I might be autistic. I guess my mother was evil for making me get my booster shots. **sigh/eye roll*

Aloha

Just to support, or not to support, the gender notion. I just got 2 "yea's" and a bunch of "Cools" from my Granddaughter, when I asked her if she wanted to join the OTOL PNW Fest in July. This Fest is like the AU Gatherings in October. Getting Even to skip school, is not going to happen, so this is why she may never join an AU Gathering. Not quite sure how she got that interested in school :rolleyes: , but good she enjoys it. I like variety so much, that any reason to skip school, was an opportunity. I do love learning, and intend to keep learning until I know it all, yea right. :lol: :rolleyes:

A few AU Members have met Even while they were in LA.

I do love learning, and intend to keep learning until I know it all, yea right. :lol: :rolleyes:
All that really matters is what train goes where and when!

:lol: :lol:
Aloha

Think I will disagree, What really matters is AM I ON IT? :D :p :D
do you get amtrak fever if you're not on the train for awhile. do you start having hallucinations that you're on a train when you're not :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
do you get amtrak fever if you're not on the train for awhile. do you start having hallucinations that you're on a train when you're not :eek:
I forget things, and may answer the same question over and over!

I forget things and may answer the same question over and over!

SOMEONE GET THIS MAN ON A TRAIN ASAP :eek:

As another female railfan with no interest in the mechanical details, I find this discussion fascinating. When the thread first started, I would have assumed it was more of a socialization/gender role thing, but now we've had several women post that they were tomboys and had model trains, so maybe there's more to it.

For me, I've always been a tomboy and played with toy trucks and Hot Wheels (no toy trains, but I think that's because my parents didn't want to introduce me to a hobby that would keep costing them money when I wanted new cars, tracks, etc). When I was 3 or 4 years old, a local department store was selling toy replicas of their delivery trucks. Apparently I threw my mom for a loop by telling Santa that the only thing I wanted that year was an "Ardan truck". So my poor mom had to figure out first what the heck I was talking about, then run out and buy one at the last minute.

But as obsessed as I've always been with cars, trains, and planes, my eyes glaze over when people get into the mechanical details. I'm the same way with my truck. I LOVE to drive, but I don't care how much horsepower it has or the maximum torque of the engine. As long as it goes fast, just shut up and give me the keys. :)

As far as I am aware, and I speak as someone who supports equality in all area's, there are "male type brains, and female type brains". These types are pre-

determined in the womb by the amount of testosterone in the mothers blood supply.

There are women who like "mechanical" stuff, and men who enjoy "nurturing" interests. It seems to me that having a mix of both brain types would be the

ideal!

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I do love learning, and intend to keep learning until I know it all, yea right. :lol: :rolleyes:
All that really matters is what train goes where and when!

:lol: :lol:
Aloha

Think I will disagree, What really matters is AM I ON IT? :D :p :D
Does dreaming about train rides count? :lol:

Aloha
Just to support, or not to support, the gender notion. I just got 2 "yea's" and a bunch of "Cools" from my Granddaughter, when I asked her if she wanted to join the OTOL PNW Fest in July. This Fest is like the AU Gatherings in October. Getting Even to skip school, is not going to happen, so this is why she may never join an AU Gathering. Not quite sure how she got that interested in school :rolleyes: , but good she enjoys it. I like variety so much, that any reason to skip school, was an opportunity. I do love learning, and intend to keep learning until I know it all, yea right. :lol: :rolleyes:

A few AU Members have met Even while they were in LA.
We talked to the oldest Granddaughter about a train ride last year. She is a girly girl, but she wants to go too. I just have to figure out how to pay for it!

I grew up by the BN line in York NE. It was a mere 4 blocks away. The trains would always make my window well vibrate at night. I then tried to hire on with BN in 1981, but there was massive layofffs. I faded away from tracks, moved to LNK and wasn't much into it until about 4 years ago. Thats when I decided to ride my first Amtrak train. Matter of fact it was 4 years ago last Thursday. :) And I got the bug again. I was thinking the other day as I was working that I could retire with 31 years with my company in 9 years and then be an asst. Conductor on the CZ from OMA to DEN and back. I threw that one by Brenda and didn't get a whole lot of applause but I honestly was thinking that. I have met 3 asst. Conductors that are retired from other jobs that hired on at Amtrak in their mid-50's. :)

No offense taken here. My 24-yr old son is considered to have a low-functioning PDD diagnosis. Last Sept we went out west on the CL and the SWC. He loved the train and slept thru the nights easily in the lower bunk. At home he rarely sleeps thru the night, a common finding with ASD people.

As for me, I grew up in a suburb where you could walk to both a commuter train and an electric streetcar. Both my Dad and my Grandmother (who lived with us) walked to/from the train 5 days a week. By the time I was 12 I was taking the train into PHL alone to work for my father during summers and school vacations. Later in high school I took the train into center city after school 2 days a week to do volunteer work. I grew up assuming trains (and to a lesser degree all public transportation) were a viable option for travel and that owning a car was not a requirement for commuting. Now that I'm a single parent with a severely disabled adult son, I find family travel by train a much more attractive prospect than any other option.

@sueb I always found myself sleeping on the train nicer than at home. I think it was the sound of the tracks and sway of the train. It like lulled me to sleep. My grandmother use to tell me it would do the same for her. She was one of those women who traveled by train all the time back in the 'hay days'

Speaking of falling asleep on the train, after college, my younger daughter took a job in New York and would ride the commuter train from our town to the city.

I would drive her to the station and pick her up in the evening. Several times, she would fall asleep coming home and ride to the next station or two before

waking up. One evening, she slept until two stations beyond our station and called me on my cell phone to say where she was. I drove over to get her and

she was standing with two men. All three of them has slept through our stop and I ended up being a "taxi" to take them all home. I don't think gender plays

any role in who are railfans.

@sueb I always found myself sleeping on the train nicer than at home. I think it was the sound of the tracks and sway of the train. It like lulled me to sleep. My grandmother use to tell me it would do the same for her. She was one of those women who traveled by train all the time back in the 'hay days'
Well, before i was laid off i was commuting 5 days/week on the Keystone service. I slept on the 85 minute OW ride most of the time. In 6 years I did sleep past my stop a few times. Going home (wbound at night) was no big deal as there are only 2 stops after mine so getting someone to come get me not a big hassle. Sleeping past my stop in the am (NYC bound) could be a bit scary as the next stop is the urban renewal wasteland at North Phila. Once I even overslept 2 stops and had to buy a commuter line ticket to backtrack from Cornwells Heights. And remember this is falling asleep in a coach seat, not a sleeper.

This morning a thought came to me. :unsure:

My wife is just as much a railfan as I am, but an additional variable is that she is not inclined to post on a "special interest" board like AU, or any other board for that matter.

I don't know if this a gender thing, :cool: but it works.

After we agree on where we want to go, I get to make the plans for an Amtrak trip, and she goes along for the experience. She's just not in to the details of the planning. Her idea of planning a trip on Amtrak is to call AAA and tell them to make it happen. I'd rather find out all I can and take care of the details myself. It's worked so far. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back