Gas Prices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife is watching TV and said gas will jump 15 cents a gallon tomorrow. It looks like gas is going to go through the roof. This could make people think twice about hopping in that SUV and sitting in traffic idling. People might consider the train as a viable option now. Gas has always been much higher overseas and with China growing, I think we might never see gas under two dollars again. They have radar detectors that tell you how fast you're going. Maybe Amtrak should put a digital billboard on a highway that always gets jammed and have the readout increase in price for the gas they are burning sitting there. Metra has standard billboards around Chicago in those type of congested areas. Having a train fly by at the same time next to them helps too though.

Don't bet on it. The argument works great for commuter trains, but not really for Amtrak.

A family going on vacation in a 13 mpg vehicle is only going to spend an extra $20 for a 1000 mile trip if the gas goes up $0.25. If they're going to take the train, it is probably going to be for other reasons (like not having to drive all those miles, remain stuck in your seat until the next rest stop, get hotel rooms, etc.).

It seems like rising gasoline prices have helped Amtrak most times in the past. In 1973 and 1979 we saw dramatic increases in gasoline prices and consequently Amtrak's ridership grew (up until the Carter cutbacks in '79). In the early 1990's we saw gasoline prices rise again during the Gulf War, and in 1991 Amtrak carried a record number of riders. Here recently, the years 2003 and 2004 saw gasoline prices mostly on the high side and, again, Amtrak has record ridership both of those years.

I think that higher gasoline prices will benefit Amtrak as long as the economy remains stable. Also, higher oil prices may increase the cost of jet fuel, which may partly reverse the enormous cuts in airfares nationwide. Greyhound service reductions are likely to hit the eastern half of the nation and that too will benefit Amtrak.

However, Amtrak's growth will continue to be restricted by capacity problems and funding issues. Without some genuine capital investment in new equipment and track improvements in key areas, Amtrak's growth will be limited, which is unfortunately the norm!

This could make people think twice about hopping in that SUV and sitting in traffic idling.
I truely wish that was the case. Out here on Long Island gas hit $2.20 or higher last summer/fall. I can't recall any less traffic on either local roads, or the expressway into Manhattan. Soccer moms would still emerge from the grocery store carrying only a few items and then get into their Lincoln Navigators and drive away.

Gas prices are going to have to increase dramatically (ie double) for people to respond in any meaningful way.

The only possible benefit I see to Amtrak is if high oil prices really force several airlines to liquidate, and the survivors are able to jack up prices in a market with flat demand and dwindling supply.

Aloha

Our "head in the sand" goverment just killed, AGAIN, a rail transit system because a 1% tax was two much, Gas prices here havent been under $2.00 for the last 2 years.

If our Gov. had any Aloha left they would raise the tax 3% but not include food and Medicine. We Currently Pay 4% on everything, including the oldest trade.

Gona quit before I get on a soapbox and get mad.

Mahalo

Our "head in the sand" goverment just killed, AGAIN, a rail transit system because a 1% tax was two much, Gas prices here havent been under $2.00 for the last 2 years.
Sad to hear that. I was on the big island two weeks ago and remember reading about the proposed system in one of the local papers.

BTW, I paid $2.40/gal in Hilo, and $2.60/gal in Waimea.

Chad

Well I've seen gas go up in the past 2 weeks. It was around 45 to 48 dollars a barrel, not more than 3 weeks ago. Today, its a little above $54! Airlines are preparing for $60 pretty soon. I think it is good for Amtrak, especially if it gets to 100 or 150 dollars in the coming years. We shall see.

The world can not supply both China and the U.S.’s traditional fuel needs without a substantial increase in fuel prices. Not only will the changes alter the lives of the SUV drivers in the U.S., so too will the airlines have to change their ways. Moreover, since so much of the world’s oil is in a troubled part of the world, political changes will accompany rising oil prices. Is an age of diverse and sane transportation options finally coming?

“Stick around. China’s gonna to win it all.” – George Carlin

The only way I see Amtrak coming out on top in this scenario, is America will have to have another "fuel crisis." In other words, lines to buy gasoline, spot shortages, etc.

Since the railroads and Amtrak are huge users of diesel, maybe they get a break on prices.

An article in the L.A. Times today said some drivers of big SUV's are trading down to Honda CRV's. Around the L.A. area, gasoline is around $2.35/gallon.

Anyway, just venting.

Keep on training! :p

Of subject, but I don't know how but it seems like the higher gas prices go the higher my MPG goes. :lol:

Aloha

Now rail is in danger today for only the third time in history(I think) we are not the higest. We are at 2.52 somebody was 2.54(mised name). O goverment planers will say tomorrow "see we don't need it as it is cheaper to drive"

Poindexter118 said:
The only way I see Amtrak coming out on top in this scenario, is America will have to have another "fuel crisis."
Not only could it happen now, it has happened once before! The oil crisis of 1973 certainly gave Amtrak a major boost!

Also, keep in mind that "oil crisis" translates into "mobility crisis". When you factor in automobile dependency and heavy emphasis on air travel with an underfunded rail system and shrinking bus system, it suddenly becomes difficult to travel when fuel prices skyrocket!

Back