Gallup, New Mexico station closed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Amtrak announcement:

Gallup, NM, Station Closed​

Effective December 1, 2022
The Gallup, NM, station is closed with no access to the waiting room or restrooms. Amtrak trains continue to stop in Gallup and passengers have access to the platform.

Passengers should wait in their vehicles in the parking lot to the east of the station for the train to arrive and go directly to the platform to board their train.

Hmm, I wonder what's going on here?

Looks like the building is owned by the city. Both Amtrak trains are scheduled outside of normal building hours (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm). Was there some sort of arrangement for a caretaker to open/close the facility for Amtrak?

Hmm, I wonder what's going on here?

Looks like the building is owned by the city. Both Amtrak trains are scheduled outside of normal building hours (Mon-Fri 10am-4pm). Was there some sort of arrangement for a caretaker to open/close the facility for Amtrak?
I have gone through Gallup on the Chief 6 or 8 times in the past ten years and it usually seems to be a busy stop, especially the last time I went through in 2018.

The last time I took the train to and from Gallup was in 2002. As I recall, the station building at that time also served as the bus station. The second floor (and perhaps part of the first floor) was a Native American cultural center and museum.

Amtrak had a caretaker at that time who would be there at train time to open the gate to allow access to the platform.

I don't know how the operation may have changed since 2002.

Same thing in Needles, CA too. Small beautifully restored station in a rather desolate desert town prone to extreme summer heat, flash floods and cold winters. The Southwest Chief stops there daily between midnight and 1am in both directions.

Apparently a homeless man started a fire in the Needles station this past April, and the City decided to close the lobby for all train arrivals/departures unless Amtrak would pay for security.

On the Great American Stations website I think it said that baggage service was offered at Gallup. Does that mean that a ticket agent was employed by Amtrak and on duty there (before the station was closed)?

Back