Full length Domes for sale

Discussion in 'Private Railcar Movements and Travel' started by Just-Thinking-51, Jan 8, 2020.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

1. Jan 8, 2020 #1

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor AU Lifetime Supporter AU Supporter

2. Jan 8, 2020 #2

Palmetto

Palmetto

Palmetto

Conductor

Are they truly finished? I got an email ad from the Mt. Hood Railroad last month.

3. Jan 8, 2020 #3

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

The railroads are all in receivership but I believe they are still running.

However I’m not sure exactly what’s going on with them. Of note all of the Mt Hood equipment is up for sale. That line really needs to be locally owned.

Just-Thinking-51 likes this.
  4. Jan 8, 2020 #4

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

Hey let's get together, buy them, get some international investors, and run them behind amtrak trains and recreate the Pullman experience. What could go wrong ;)

On a serious note.. this is painful. I rode the Ed Ellis City of New Orleans and the Hoosier State. They were excellent experiences and I really really wanted them to take off. Riding through Memphis TN and passing Beale Street in the tail-car of an Illinois Central Paint scheme observation lounge while drinking a Bailey's on ice that was served to me at my seat by a uniformed Pullman attendant on a regularly scheduled passenger train - would have NEVER thought I would get that opportunity in my life. My breakfast and dinner on the Hoosier State in the upstairs of the full dome diner was quite memorable as well.

These experiences and the Coast Starlight's Parlour Cars were the best of the best. The Canadian is good but with the constant stopping on sidings and the somewhat sterile railcar interiors it's just not the same as these experiences. Maybe it's me being a little patriotic too... something about riding a train in one's own country that feels different? Not sure... I just know that these cars were special and I'm sad the operation didn't last longer.

5. Jan 9, 2020 #5

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Seaboard92

Conductor

I wish I had the chance to experience both Ed Ellis operations. However I was able to experience the cars up close and personal for several years. When I first bumped into the cars way back in 2008 they were fairly decent cars. By the time I started working with them in 2014 they were really starting to show their age with cracks in the mirrors, and in need of carpeting. But by 2016 the cars were nothing short of horrid from a mechanical standpoint.

The Scenic View has been nicknamed Septic View for reasons I’m sure you can imagine.

Those were good days though.

cirdan likes this.
  6. Jan 9, 2020 #6

MikefromCrete

M

MikefromCrete

Conductor

Ed Ellis had some really great ideas for running passenger trains. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be much of a businessman. Let's hope the scenic railways controlled by his company survive the bankruptcy proceedings.
    As far as Pullman Rail Journey is concerned, railfans loved the concept, but regular paying passengers weren't overwhelmed by the 1950's era rooms. Most people booking such trips were looking for a much higher level of service.
    The Hoosier State had a great dome diner, but didn't make a lot of economic sense.

7. Jan 9, 2020 #7

bretton88

b

bretton88

Conductor

I remember the first time I took the Rio Grande Scenic when IP was just starting the tourist operation there. It was an amazing ride in the dome from La Veta to Alamosa. Unfortunately over the last few years the operation has been in major decline, especially when they went to less than daily summer operation (that's pretty inexcusable if you want to be a legit operation in Colorado). It felt like only a matter of time. I really hope the passenger part of the operation can be saved.

8. Jan 9, 2020 #8

Anderson

A

Anderson

Conductor

I had drinks with Mr. Ellis on a few occasions. Per his explanation, part of the issue is that the "high end" crowd would tend to complain and demand refunds/credits if they had to deal with a dusty window or anything like that. So he tried to aim for a slightly less "exclusive" clientele by design.

Also, apparently it rather surprised him when the #1 demand from customers (as far as improvements would go) was...wifi.

cirdan likes this.
  9. Jan 9, 2020 #9

crescent-zephyr

c

crescent-zephyr

Conductor

That wasn’t my experience. When I rode I felt like I was the only “railfan” - everyone else was there for a unique experience or nostalgia in general. One passenger was a regular business traveler who was traveling to Chicago on the train anyways and thought he’d give it a try.

Everyone seemed to love it.

My understanding was the service was always supposed to be a test and they wanted to move it to a Chicago - NYC Train but Amtrak wouldn’t work with them

cirdan likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted