Ft Lauderdale to Port

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdj

Train Attendant
I will be going on a cruise which leaves from Ft Lauderdale. I am looking at taking one of the Silvers from RVR to FTL. Is there transportation available from FTL to the Port? Cab. public transportation, etc?

Gary

Hello,

I actually just did this 2 weeks ago! Flew to Orlando and took the silvers south to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise. There are PLENTY of taxis at the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station. All types too.... Cars, Station Wagons, and even MiniVan cabs. Fort Lauderdale is a piece of cake if you have lots of luggage. You actually check and claim all your luggage right from the little luggage train that drives up to the baggage car, right on the platform.

Now to answer your question - TIME - I beleive it took "us" 25 minutes from the Port Everglades Port to the FTL Amtrak station by taxi. This includes getting out of the Port Everglades terminal area.

The beautiful thing about leaving a FTL cruise by amtrak train is that we DONT have to get to the amtrak station 2 hours early, like the folks going to the airport do. BUT the cruise ship ASSUMES that all passengers ARE leaving by airport, therefore (now bear with me for a moment)....

If you are boarding the Silver Star at 12:30pm, the ship assumes you are taking a 12:30pm flight, and therefore you are scheduled to disembark with the 8:30am - 9:30am crowd (who by the way are still rushing thru the customs line to get to the airport). We actually WAITED till around 9:30-10:00 to start heading off the ship. As soon as we were through customs, the taxis were right outside, then 25 minutes later, we were at the Amtrak station. Basically, the amtrak people always get a 2 hour head start over the airplane people. :)

We actually still had at least 1 1/2 hours to wait at the amtrak station before the silver star arrived.

-----------------------------

Now pre-cruise was EVEN BETTER.... because we stayed at the Hampton Inn North Cruise Port, right on 12th street. It is almost smack dab in between the amtrak station and Port Everglades. This meant that we had a 10 minute $12 cab ride from amtrak to Hampton Inn. Then the free shuttle to Port Everglades the next morning - the additional 15 minutes.

----------------------------

A little bit about ORLANDO:

I think the taxis charge a different "lower" rate, if you are traveling North towards downtown Orlando and the Amtrak station, instead of South towards Disney World. We had a 30 minute cab ride between Orlando Airport and Orlando Amtrak Station, and it came out to around $30, both ways, 2 different taxi companies. And I could have sworn that a taxi ride to Disney is at least $80..... So if this is true, good news for Amtrak -> Orlando Airport commutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I actually just did this 2 weeks ago! Flew to Orlando and took the silvers south to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise. There are PLENTY of taxis at the Fort Lauderdale Amtrak station. All types too.... Cars, Station Wagons, and even MiniVan cabs. Fort Lauderdale is a piece of cake if you have lots of luggage. You actually check and claim all your luggage right from the little luggage train that drives up to the baggage car, right on the platform.

Now to answer your question - TIME - I beleive it took "us" 25 minutes from the Port Everglades Port to the FTL Amtrak station by taxi. This includes getting out of the Port Everglades terminal area.

The beautiful thing about leaving a FTL cruise by amtrak train is that we DONT have to get to the amtrak station 2 hours early, like the folks going to the airport do. BUT the cruise ship ASSUMES that all passengers ARE leaving by airport, therefore (now bear with me for a moment)....

If you are boarding the Silver Star at 12:30pm, the ship assumes you are taking a 12:30pm flight, and therefore you are scheduled to disembark with the 8:30am - 9:30am crowd (who by the way are still rushing thru the customs line to get to the airport). We actually WAITED till around 9:30-10:00 to start heading off the ship. As soon as we were through customs, the taxis were right outside, then 25 minutes later, we were at the Amtrak station. Basically, the amtrak people always get a 2 hour head start over the airplane people. :)

We actually still had at least 1 1/2 hours to wait at the amtrak station before the silver star arrived.

-----------------------------

Now pre-cruise was EVEN BETTER.... because we stayed at the Hampton Inn North Cruise Port, right on 12th street. It is almost smack dab in between the amtrak station and Port Everglades. This meant that we had a 10 minute $12 cab ride from amtrak to Hampton Inn. Then the free shuttle to Port Everglades the next morning - the additional 15 minutes.

----------------------------

A little bit about ORLANDO:

I think the taxis charge a different "lower" rate, if you are traveling North towards downtown Orlando and the Amtrak station, instead of South towards Disney World. We had a 30 minute cab ride between Orlando Airport and Orlando Amtrak Station, and it came out to around $30, both ways, 2 different taxi companies. And I could have sworn that a taxi ride to Disney is at least $80..... So if this is true, good news for Amtrak -> Orlando Airport commutes.
Thanks for your response. It was very helpful. The more I look at it, I think I will go down on the Meteor and come back on the Star.

Gary

I have taken the Silver Star to FTL for a cruise.

We always go one day in advance to avoid possible delays.

There are taxi's at the station. There is a Hilton and

Sheraton nearby.

I have taken a taxi to the FTL train station upon return.

It only takes about 15 minutes.

Have a nice cruise.

No Problem....

Yes, WE did exactly that.... The Silver Meteor South to Fort Lauderdale and Silver Star North post-cruise. I agree with everyone else who says it is not worth RISKING the Silver Meteor right after a cruise (at 9:30am). It is definately possible to make this train. The problem is, you absolutely must choose "express disembarkation" with the other 9:30-10:00am airplane departures. The problem with express disembarkation is that you must carry ALL of your own luggage off the ship. Of course, I am making some assumptions here, not all cruise lines have the same policies about this. But most importantly, cruise ships DO arrive late into Port Everglades. So if the ship was even a little late, you would miss the Meteor north.

Another important piece of info I left out..... It took roughly 30-45 minutes to get through the Port Everglades customs line with our luggage (at the end of the cruise). I think this is an average figure. But as you can see, still PLENTY of time to catch the 12:30pm Silver Star.

Ah one more thing.... We saw quite a few pieces of luggage with HOLLAND AMERICA tags on the little luggage trolley at the FTL Amtrak station. And this is BOTH Directions.... So Amtrak to Cruise transfers are becoming VERY COMMON.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I want to add one more thing: I cruised with Holland America this trip, and when I checked in ONLINE (for entering all of my cruise data) , AMTRAK was available as an airline, AND Flight 92 was there for the Silver meteor. Same thing for ARRIVAL information. This is excellent news for Amtrak cruisers. It means that the Holland America system recognizes Amtrak as a valid pre-cruise airline. Now will they hold the ship if a train is late, probably not..... But its nice to know that Amtrak is incorporated into the system. The cruise will know where you are and why you may be running late....

Very NICE!

We have taken Amtrak to Ft. Lauderdale many times for a cruise.

An important point about taking a taxi from Amtrak to your hotel is to give the specific address for the hotel. We found that some of the taxi drivers were fairly new to the area.

Have a fine cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back