From Miami to Portland Maine

• Thread starter troo troo tcrane
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that; but this discussion is about Florida to Maine, not Syracuse to Boston.
You said, and I quote, "And Amtrak, in its infinite wisdom, carries baggage to Boston on only one train per day:  the overnight WAS-BOS train." Sounded to me like you were saying that the overnight Regional is the one and only train serving Boston with checked baggage each day. You didn't say anything about it being the only train on the NEC train to do that. You said that it's the only train at all to do that. So I figured I'd clarify that the LSL also does.

Ok I just re-studied the options given to me on the Amtrak website and the overnight Was to Bos train is best paired with Star, assuming I am reading it correctly.

I will rethink the Boston to Portland leg.
The Downeaster is a very nice ride and I think that if you have the extra hour or two, you should take it. Just my two cents on that.

There is a tunnel walkway from the "T" Orange/Green line station to the Boston North Station with escalators and elevators. 
That tunnel has been closed for awhile now due to a major construction project. The exit from the T to the street level only requires about. 1 block walk.

Ok I just re-studied the options given to me on the Amtrak website and the overnight Was to Bos train is best paired with Star, assuming I am reading it correctly.

I will rethink the Boston to Portland leg.
You don't have to twist your schedule around to ride the overnight train to Boston if you don't want to. Just make sure that your checked baggage does. You can check baggage from your originating station up to 48 hours in advance of your actual departure. Check it in a day early or so, and it will be waiting for you to pick up once you arrive in Boston.

The bus that leaves from South Station is Concord Coach. They offer frequent service and most times they are faster than the Downeaster. They show a movie and provide bottled water and a snack. They stow baggage for you in the luggage bays. When we take a day trip from Boston to Portland we often take the Downeaster one way and take Concord the other. Ken

I did a similar trip years ago from Orlando.  Train 92 to WAS, then 66 to BOS, then Downeaster to Portland.  If I did it again, I would do something different (but not sure what).  I did not enjoy the overnight trip from WAS to BOS.  
I have read in a post on this site calling the overnight Was to Bos train the crazy train. Lol

You don't have to twist your schedule around to ride the overnight train to Boston if you don't want to. Just make sure that your checked baggage does. You can check baggage from your originating station up to 48 hours in advance of your actual departure. Check it in a day early or so, and it will be waiting for you to pick up once you arrive in Boston.
I will be coming from about 1 to 1.5 hours from the train station so I am leaning toward just to pack light. We will each have a carry on and a back pack and that way we don't have to use baggage service.

I did a similar trip years ago from Orlando.  Train 92 to WAS, then 66 to BOS, then Downeaster to Portland.  If I did it again, I would do something different (but not sure what).  I did not enjoy the overnight trip from WAS to BOS.  
I have read in a post on this site calling the overnight Was to Bos train the crazy train. Lol
What do you mean?

I’ve taken 66 many times. I agree that you do not get the best sleep on that train. Because of the numerous stops, the lights are not dimmed.

There is 1 Conductor out of WAS that announces

Next stop is BWI in 5 minutes!

Arriving BWI!

This is BWI!

Last call for BWI!
It does not matter if it’s 11 pm and you are tryinig to sleep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve taken 66 many times. I agree that you do not get the best sleep on that train. Because of the numerous stops, the lights are not dimmed.

So it's just that you're trying to sleep and there's a bunch of stops with a lot of announcements?

I think adding to the 65/66/67 troubles is the fact that it takes forever compared to the already-long 8-hour trip from WAS to BOS on other Regionals. There is lots of schedule padding and dwell time to try to have semi-sane arrival times in the major cities and to accommodate overnight track work. The Amfleet Is get really boring after a while, especially if you can't see anything because it's dark out.

If you do decide to bring checked baggage (which in my opinion is a lot of luggage, so I would avoid the hassle), I would do what ehbowen recommended: drop your luggage off a day or two before your departure and it will be waiting for you in Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:
cpotisch said:
What do you mean?
Can't remember what the post said exactly but I was left with the impression that train was more noisy than usual, with a somewhat party atmosphere.

Can't remember what the post said exactly but I was left with the impression that train was more noisy than usual, with a somewhat party atmosphere.
No parties observed by this rider, most people are trying to nap. 

AG1 said:
No parties observed by this rider, most people are trying to nap. 
Depends on the day of the week. By far most of my crazy stories involve 67/66.
the_traveler said:

Next stop is BWI in 5 minutes!
Arriving BWI!
This is BWI!
Last call for BWI!

Unfortunately the rule books state that as a Regional, no lights are to be dimmed (except in the quiet car, which is an all day thing), and announcements are to be made. Many crews go against some or all parts of these rules, but if they get caught by the wrong person....back to following the rules for them in the future. I always kept the lights dimmed in the Cafe when it had business class upon departure of Back Bay, and upon departure of DC when heading home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back