Freedom Card, Anyone?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do you keep a card around that you won;t use. I would simply transfer the credit line to another card and get rid of the card. Actually I am in the process of ding so with two cards. The number of cards that you have does not have any effect on your FICO score. The total line of credit that you have and how much of it you use does.

Why do you keep a card around that you won;t use. I would simply transfer the credit line to another card and get rid of the card. Actually I am in the process of ding so with two cards. The number of cards that you have does not have any effect on your FICO score. The total line of credit that you have and how much of it you use does.
But that would only work with a Chase card. I doubt BoA is going to up the credit on their card just because you closed your chase account. I figure I will keep mine for a while so BoA will see the Chase is not used then call BoA, ask for higher credit equal to what I have with Chase THEN dump the Chase card to avoid a hit.

I got my replacement "Freedom Card" today, but since I already have two long standingv Chase Cards with adequate credit lines, plus the new BOA AGR Card, I will cancel it now since Chase wouldn't let us opt out during the transition period!

I never had any problems with Chase, received excellent service and all my last months AGR Points so will miss the AGR/Chase Partnership!

Not sure you are correct about Chase not letting you opt out of the Freedom card during the transition. I called and successfully closed the still unsent Freedom card account after Chase transferred AGR card data to the new Freedom card number. In other words, the AGR/Freedom cc was closed and I will not receive a new card since I let Chase know I would not activate any new Freedom card they sent me.

Not sure you are correct about Chase not letting you opt out of the Freedom card during the transition. I called and successfully closed the still unsent Freedom card account after Chase transferred AGR card data to the new Freedom card number. In other words, the AGR/Freedom cc was closed and I will not receive a new card since I let Chase know I would not activate any new Freedom card they sent me.
That is absolutely correct. But if you wish to retain the line of credit for purposes of gussying up your FICO score then that purpose would not be served by canceling the card, unless you could transfer that line of credit to some other card.

That is absolutely correct. But if you wish to retain the line of credit for purposes of gussying up your FICO score then that purpose would not be served by canceling the card, unless you could transfer that line of credit to some other card.
Chase actually offered me to transfer credit limits card-to-card a few months before the AGR change. I had an old "low-rate" card with a big (for me) limit, the CSP and the AGR.

So shuffling limits around between different cards at same bank is possible.

"Gussying up your FICO score" -- it's getting more difficult to do that -- maybe with the old, now cheap, original FICO score (that's the one I see (for free) on my CSP and Discover card accounts), getting higher and higher limits might help.

BUT, now, there's maybe a dozen different FICO scores, for each Credit Bureau, for different "target consumers and lenders" *

If you want a good credit score -- as the free credit reports note- do "Paid in full, never late".

If you like a 5% rebate better than 2% or 1%, for what you are buying now, maybe the Chase Freedom is a good deal.

*(I recently applied for a home equity loan, and the lender disclosed the credit bureaux and scores, none of which matched the "FICO score" that Chase gives me monthly. They were all "FICO+(subscript) scores -- and ranged, not in points, but in percentiles, from 78 to 99 :) ) (I got the loan, at a good rate, but ???)

Those percentile ranks are of the specific score that you have, and will get affected by how good or bad the score is. If your score increases so will the percentile rank.
Yeah, I think I get how the scores work,

But, the range of scores, there's not just one, there's dozens, and they diverge so much. It's baffling, and not that easy to game.

Anyhow, for people wanting both the Chase Freedom and the new BOA AGR -- it all depends on personal financial position - do the math for your own needs (and FICO score(s)).

Those percentile ranks are of the specific score that you have, and will get affected by how good or bad the score is. If your score increases so will the percentile rank.
Yeah, I think I get how the scores work,

But, the range of scores, there's not just one, there's dozens, and they diverge so much. It's baffling, and not that easy to game.

Anyhow, for people wanting both the Chase Freedom and the new BOA AGR -- it all depends on personal financial position - do the math for your own needs (and FICO score(s)).
Exactly!

Back