Former Mrs. America Killed After SUV Collides With Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally, a news outlet that phrases the incident correctly: The car hit the train, not the train hit the car.

Finally, a news outlet that phrases the incident correctly: The car hit the train, not the train hit the car.
Huh? In the article: "her SUV was struck by a train while trying to cross the tracks" and in another paragraph..."she was trying to cross the tracks when it was struck by the train

I think its the headline that needs to read better.

Sad news indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sad indeed.

But I see nothing wrong with the headline or body of the article. It's wordage for the 'striker' and 'strikee' is the norm.

Sad indeed.

But I see nothing wrong with the headline or body of the article. It's wordage for the 'striker' and 'strikee' is the norm.
Yes, I agree with the wording in the article but the OP read it and said "a news outlet that phrases the incident correctly: The car hit the train, not the train hit the car." I was reading it the other way around...that is what I was pointing out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong. The train hit the car. The headline is incorrect.
That was my point...the text appears to be "correct".
Yup. My beef wasn't with you. :) My beef is with people who seem to think "the train hit the car" implies the train was at-fault and then get all shrieky about how people are going to hate trains now. It's simple grammar, not an anti-train agenda.

Wrong. The train hit the car. The headline is incorrect.
That was my point...the text appears to be "correct".
Yup. My beef wasn't with you. :) My beef is with people who seem to think "the train hit the car" implies the train was at-fault and then get all shrieky about how people are going to hate trains now. It's simple grammar, not an anti-train agenda.
I understand that Sarah, what you said I agree with. Its an earlier comment I was attempting to "correct"

I'm 100% sure that the crossing was on Consler road, the tracks being parallel to Thunder road.

The crossing I found on Google Maps.

As can be seen on Google Maps Satellite View, that part of Consler road is a driveway to a house.

This report states she did not own the farm that the driveway led too, and no one knows why she would want to cross those railroad tracks.

I imagine the authorities are going to think she committed suicide.

If the train was moving very, very fast, the seat belt may not prevent the person from being ejected from the vehicle in what could easy become a yard sale.

Back