Florida Restructuring

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
This came up in the Charlotte-Columbia thread, and I think it bears a specific discussion of its own: With current facilities and the not-impossible idea of the Silver Palm being reestablished (right now, equipment seems to be the big issue here, as ridership on the Silvers has risen by about a third and would seem to justify the third train), would it be possible to split the Silvers at Orlando and run the "main" trains straight on to Miami, so as to get a 3/day round trip frequency on the ORL-TPA and MIA-TPA routes? Would it be worthwhile? I'm thinking of a LSL-style split (a coach or two, a sleeper or two, and perhaps a baggage car get taken off the train from NYP at Orlando and exchanged with some TPA-MIA coaches); the main purpose would be to get a "rhythm" of trains running to Miami instead of all of the trains getting there at once.

The run to Tampa from Orlando right now is about 80 minutes (74 according to the timetable, from Orlando departure to Tampa arrival). Assuming that it ran at the same speed then as it does now, you could at least turn the Miami cars in a four-hour window (I'll grant that the sleepers might be another story due to swapping the linen, but 80 minutes to turn around a small set of coaches would seem to be plenty [as they wouldn't need much cleaning, etc.] would likely be a workable proposition).

The through sleepers, the ugliest part of this arrangement, are mainly necessary because people don't like being kicked out of their seats...though LD Coach for an hour and a half is hardly torture. Even running the train without cafe service (something I'm not a big fan of omitting) doesn't seem too bad given the short duration, as long as you make it policy that sleeper folks get to eat prior to Orlando and are diligent about announcing the situation well in advance of Orlando so folks can take care of business before the split.

Of course, the biggest problem with this is that it's virtually impossible to have three well-spaced trains and not have at least one have a lousy Miami departure and have another with a lousy Jacksonville departure. The length of that run at present makes that a no-go (nine hours plus six hours of spacing means fifteen hours of train placement; nine plus eight is seventeen. Ew.), but if you eat those two bad times you can get two good Miami-Orlando-Tampa runs and three good Orlando-Tampa runs. You can also make a semi-daylight NYP-SAV train work if you "force" a delay at Savannah to stretch the time it takes to get to Orlando, stick in a delay at Jacksonville, or just run the train slowly (as was frequently done on sleeper trains in the MW to ensure convenient times).

And finally, none of this considers the Sunset East report, should that be put into action, which could be used to piggyback a fourth service in here somewhere if that were also extended to Miami and a split done. That is, of course, at least as complicated a matter as this is (personally, I favor the CONO option to the Sunset East, if just to do as much as possible without having to deal with UP, but such is another matter entirely).

There is really no place to split the Silver trains at Orlando. If that were in that area, it would be at Auburndale which is the junction of S line and A line. One of the Silver trains use to split in Auburndale for a number of years. It was an efficient well manouvered split. What is probably going to happen, however, is a split at Jacksonville with a section of both Silver trains traveling to Miami via the shorter Florida East Coast Route. It is unclear as to whether just one or both trains would continue on to Orlando and Tampa. This would not require any additional equipment as it would be likely, a sleeper or two, the dining car and two coaches going to Miami and a sleeper, lounge and two coaches heading for Tampa and maybe at least one continuing to Miami after Tampa. The Florida DOT already has set asside funds for this and Senator Nelson is working with Amtrak to get Federal Funds. The cities along the FEC route have been wanting this service for sometime. As to when it will happen, who knows.

After seeing what I saw last week-end I wish somebody, anybody, with some chutzpah at Amtrak would look at how the airlines clean their planes. I happened to be on a direct flight and made two stops. At each intermediate point a cleaning crew got on, did everything necessary to supply the bathrooms and even clean up a street urchins vomit(thank goodness they were in row 30 something and we were far away)in less than 8 minutes. I timed it !!! But NO...in true Amtrak fashion we need to close cars mega-miles from their destination~ throw out rev pax ;and then pretend we're cleaning while they sit all day in the yards and send them out the same way they came in. Come on now...I admit I'm old and ugly but stupid hasn't made it on my business card yet !And no, we don't need anyone saying "but, maybe, or "you're crazy" IT HAPPENS EVERY DAY ON THE AIRLINES#$%^&* :angry: :cool: :help:

This thread is quickly getting away from Anderson's intended discussion and I'm not smart enough to debate his cogent presentation anyway.

BUT, I do understand CLEAN and I just want to support had8ely's point. The airlines definitely outdistance our beloved Amtrak in keeping the joint clean. It ain't brain surgery, just diligence to fundamental customer service.

I think Florida is in desperate need for more trains, I'd love to see some "Corridor" type trains that serve Orlando-Tampa.

As one who frequents these trains....

I would be suprised if they cut MIA-TPA on 91/92.

That section see 200-250 pax each way per day on weekends.

There are more people getting off in Tampa from South Florida then getting on in Kissimee, Orlando, and Deland combined going North.

So while I would prefer to take the FEC tracks North from WPB to Jacksonville, I am actually the minority when you consider how many of the 91/92 pax are between Tampa and S. Florida (WPB-MIA)

My guess is that we will see 97/98 run the FEC or maybe see some other extention of the Palmetto that would bring it thru to JAX and then down to MIA via the FEC tracks and leave 91/92/97/98 alone.

One last comment... Sleeper prices on the Silvers have been thru the roof. Trying to figure out why it is sometimes costing north of $1000 for a bedroom and north of $800 for a roomette when the Chicago to NYP and WAS runs never seem to get north of $250?

One last comment... Sleeper prices on the Silvers have been thru the roof. Trying to figure out why it is sometimes costing north of $1000 for a bedroom and north of $800 for a roomette when the Chicago to NYP and WAS runs never seem to get north of $250?
Because they can fill them at that price.

Several years back there was a state supported Tampa - Miami service. Was somewhat surprised when it was stopped. The nature of the lines is such that it have respectable sped. I would think a multiple day service would between these point would haul a lot of people. Something should be set up on the order of the North Carolina service.

Several years back there was a state supported Tampa - Miami service. Was somewhat surprised when it was stopped. The nature of the lines is such that it have respectable sped. I would think a multiple day service would between these point would haul a lot of people. Something should be set up on the order of the North Carolina service.
If only Florida could get some federal money for that -- something simple and proven and easy to get running in a very short timespan -- instead of for a high-speed service with a lot of question, drawbacks, and many, many years between groundbreaking and wheelsrolling. Alas, nobody actually seems to see the huge benefits to multiple frequencies and making what we've got work better.

Last edited by a moderator:
If only Florida could get some federal money for that -- something simple and proven and easy to get running in a very short timespan -- instead of for a high-speed service with a lot of question, drawbacks, and many, many years between groundbreaking and wheelsrolling. Alas, nobody actually seems to see the huge benefits to multiple frequencies and making what we've got work better.
I will agree there. I guess how I look at this is that it's a proof-of-concept service for the HSR project: From what's being said about 200-250 Pax a day with once-daily TPA-MIA service (and probably a bit more for the whole Miami metro area), and with the changes in the last few years (that drive is even more of a dog than it was back when the "first" Silver Palm barely fell short of 60% farebox recovery) I think the service, if not profitable, would at least have good farebox recovery that would show that frequent and/or HSR service on this route would be a workable proposition. In a sense, my thinking is to "piggyback" a limited version of that on the LD services (the ACL being the only area outside a few incidental areas around Chicago with multiple daily LD trains) and go from there.

There are also old comments I read somewhere about the NEC-Florida "Champion" being called "Big Bertha" because of the tips on board (apparently the tips exceeded OBS's pay on occasion) leaps to mind: The service on the ACL never fell apart like it did elsewhere, because the railroads were able to turn a profit (or at least come close enough) up until A-Day that the extra effort paid off in packed trains, and unlike the other "packed" areas, there wasn't a Penn Central mess to contend with. So Amtrak actually inherited an operation that had held together over the 60s, rather than one that had just gone through ten years of rampant cuts, degradations, and so on. This is why you've had decent service in the region.

And of course, this led to a secondary thought in the course of a phone call today: Given how much 79 MPH running can be done in Florida, what could upgrades to get the existing lines up into the 90-125 MPH range (I know, it'll vary in different segments and I accept that most of it would be in the 90-100 MPH range) be done for? Even running intercity trains at 100 MPH would probably shave MIA-ORL/TPA travel times by a respectable amount.

The SCL/ACL did seriously think about staying out of Amtrak, as these trains where turning a profit for them. But other considerations such as having to establish a transfer at Richmond or Amtrak shutting them out of WAS forced their hand and they joined Amtrak.

I agree that instead of the HSR, Florida should push for funding to get the current lines upgraded for faster speeds and more frequent service. I think they would do well if they got dedicated trains running between Miami-Tampa-Orlando-Jacksonville on more frequent service.

As far as somebody posted about cleaning an airliner, think about it please. There's one plane versus a long distance train with maybe ten cars and numerous bathrooms, a lounge car, sleepers, etc. Totally different situation. And on a plane it's maybe a few hour flight to get dirty versus at least one overnight journey on a long distance train.

Bretton,

I didn't know that was the case, but I wondered. It was possible that the trains had flipped into unprofitability in 1968 or 1969 by bare margins (or that the trend was strongly enough downward), after all, so I didn't know. I think it's a testament to the popularity of the ACL routes that the Auto Train either turns a profit or comes very close, and that the Silvers have such strong farebox recovery as single-level trains that they outrun most Superliner trains in this arena (only the Auto Train, EB, SWC, and CONO outdid the Silver Meteor in terms of cost recovery in 2008, and all of those are Superliners). Recovery ratios are almost assuredly up since then, too (the Silver Meteor's revenue is up 15% through 2010).

There are long stretches of the former SAL between Auburndale and West Palm Beach that are dead straight. The SAL engineers were noted for cranking it up to at or near 100 mph if behind schedule despite the Federally mandated "cannot run 80 mph or faster" speed limit of 79 mph with a wink and a nod from all levels of management. (Why do you think at that time locomotive speed recorders seldom had the necessary tape in them?) I would think a three or four trains per day would be a good start. Run it as a test service for about 2 years and see how traffic develops.

George,

If you split the sleeper trains at JAX and supplemented that with an additional two trains per day that just rain JAX-MIA (with some grade crossing closures/adjustments and the PTC mandate), from what you said I see no reason that line couldn't run at extreme speed (upgrade the line and you can at least get up to 90-100 MPH). You'd probably have to kill at least part of the no-compete with SunRail (Fort Lauderdale), but that could be accomplished through some sort of service merger.

The one thing I've always had trouble figuring out is how to do JAX-MIA, JAX-ORL-TPA, and TPA-(ORL?)-MIA effectively. Maybe running two trains per day on the MIA-ORL-JAX route in addition would do the trick (which would get you 4-5/day on JAX-MIA and ORL-TPA, 3/day on JAX-ORL...possibly 4/day if the Sunset East was added in some form, as you could easily run a segment down the coast attached to another of the trains).

Edit: Another idea which came to mind: Though there are no plans for it, I still think an ATL-MIA service (perhaps piggybacked onto a "daylight Crescent", and possibly split at JAX to offer East Coast Line and ORL-TPA service) might be something to consider in this vein as well.

I'm also left wondering...assuming that you ran the trains down the East Coast Line, what would JAX-MIA times look like? Substantial savings here might make certain scheduling possibilities more workable.

What I thought ACVitale was thinking about and what I was talking about was NOT Miami - Orlando - Tampa, but Miami - Auburndale - Tampa. For people going between the Tampa Bay area and the Ft. Lauderdale to Miami area, the detour through Orlanda would make the trip so much longer that it would severely hurt the potential ridership.

My whole problem all along with a Tampa to Orlando high speed line was that I could not see there being sufficient demand to make it worthwhile. Maybe I am missing something?

My whole problem all along with a Tampa to Orlando high speed line was that I could not see there being sufficient demand to make it worthwhile. Maybe I am missing something?
Yes. The Tampa to Orlando HSR was the first part of a larger system with Orlando to Miami HSR in the second phase. The federal funding also provided all the funding needed to do the PE and NEPA work on the Orlando to Miami line. The general plan was that Florida would apply for the start of construction funding for Miami-Orlando in several years after work started on the Tampa to Orlando section. The total line would be 324 miles long. If the Miami to Orlando to Tampa HSR line is built, starting on a 3rd phase connecting Orlando to Jacksonville would be the obvious next step. But this is now all in deep freeze until Scott is no longer Governor.

Given that the population of Florida is 18.8 million and growing, that is a pretty big population base.

Yes. The Tampa to Orlando HSR was the first part of a larger system with Orlando to Miami HSR in the second phase. The federal funding also provided all the funding needed to do the PE and NEPA work on the Orlando to Miami line. The general plan was that Florida would apply for the start of construction funding for Miami-Orlando in several years after work started on the Tampa to Orlando section. The total line would be 324 miles long. If the Miami to Orlando to Tampa HSR line is built, starting on a 3rd phase connecting Orlando to Jacksonville would be the obvious next step. But this is now all in deep freeze until Scott is no longer Governor.

Given that the population of Florida is 18.8 million and growing, that is a pretty big population base.
I know of the ultimate plan, but it sounding more and more like it was going to be Tampa-Orlando with the remainder, which I would have thought to be the larger in traffic, relegated to maybe someday.

I agree that instead of the HSR, Florida should push for funding to get the current lines upgraded for faster speeds and more frequent service. I think they would do well if they got dedicated trains running between Miami-Tampa-Orlando-Jacksonville on more frequent service.

As far as somebody posted about cleaning an airliner, think about it please. There's one plane versus a long distance train with maybe ten cars and numerous bathrooms, a lounge car, sleepers, etc. Totally different situation. And on a plane it's maybe a few hour flight to get dirty versus at least one overnight journey on a long distance train.
Not if we are talking of an 15 hour 777 full service international flights. And those are regularly turned in 2 hours. Really Amtrak has zero excuse for their 8 revenue car trains to take more that 3 hours or so.

My guess is that we will see 97/98 run the FEC or maybe see some other extention of the Palmetto that would bring it thru to JAX and then down to MIA via the FEC tracks and leave 91/92/97/98 alone.

I doubt you'll see the Palmetto heading down the FEC. It's schedule would mean that it'd cover the coastal cities overnight, and while that'd be a nice morning arrival into Miami for northeast passengers, I doubt the state and cities would be very happy to have worked so hard to get Amtrak into the area and get service at two in the morning. I could see the Meteor get rerouted over the FEC, and maybe the Palmetto get extended to Miami via Orlando, although you'd have pretty crappy times at Jacksonville and Orlando both. My guess is the Palmetto stays where it is.

I've been over this elsewhere:

-There was no way to transfer straight from Amtrak's normal services or from the planned local commuter rail to the HSR line.

-The train line did not include any travel to downtown Orlando.

-The top speed was a "peacock" speed: The average speed was going to be far lower (as it always is), and when compared to the current downtown Orlando-downtown Tampa times, it would shave off 18 minutes...except that the train did not go to downtown Orlando, per above, necessitating a clunky transfer.

-The HSR line to Miami was a "long term" project. Now, I know it's never going to be an overnight thing to get something like this rolling, but that line is going to demand that the Orlando line already be a success in at least some form or Florida would be very well justified in not funding it further.

The Bakersfield project out in CA is a better use of the money. If you want a good "starter" project, that's where you need to go. Florida absolutely needs improved rail service...but it needs regular in-state service beyond what is little more than one daily train below Tampa and two north of there before an HSR project is likely to take hold.

The Bakersfield project out in CA is a better use of the money. If you want a good "starter" project, that's where you need to go. Florida absolutely needs improved rail service...but it needs regular in-state service beyond what is little more than one daily train below Tampa and two north of there before an HSR project is likely to take hold.
Exactly my thoughts. Right now California has 6 trains in the Valley, all having decent ridership despite being slower than driving time when traffic is light. This ridership has grown over time. I think this is a major factor in the high level of support for the HSR in the valley despite teh "revealed wisdom" that people that are conserative politically do not support passenger rail.

This is why Florida should start with a multiple trains per day shortest route service between Miami and Tampa.

If you split the sleeper trains at JAX and supplemented that with an additional two trains per day that just rain JAX-MIA (with some grade crossing closures/adjustments and the PTC mandate), from what you said I see no reason that line couldn't run at extreme speed (upgrade the line and you can at least get up to 90-100 MPH). You'd probably have to kill at least part of the no-compete with SunRail (Fort Lauderdale), but that could be accomplished through some sort of service merger.
FYI, SunRail is the proposed commuter rail service for Orlando. Tri-Rail is the West Palm Beach to Miami commuter rail service.

And AFAIK there is no non-compete contract with Tri-Rail. After all, Amtrak was there first. Tri-Rail came later.

Amtrak simply doesn't want to pick up short haul pax in that area because it blocks out seats for those who do want to take a longer trip.

FYI, SunRail is the proposed commuter rail service for Orlando. Tri-Rail is the West Palm Beach to Miami commuter rail service.

And AFAIK there is no non-compete contract with Tri-Rail. After all, Amtrak was there first. Tri-Rail came later.

Amtrak simply doesn't want to pick up short haul pax in that area because it blocks out seats for those who do want to take a longer trip.
Alan,

Good catch. I've kept it straight 50 times so far and I mangled it. You're right about that. And knowing that Amtrak doesn't come close to selling out that segment, I'm surprised that they don't just murder the buckets within that corridor and cap the seat sales at a low level. Not doing strikes me as giving up free money if you can predict how many slots you can spare.

I went and checked the old Silver Palm timetables from the mid-90s after trying to hammer out timetables on here: The JAX time was awful (as in, 2 AM). Savannah was about 11 PM, and the Silver Palm then skipped to Tampa before rejoining the "main" routes from Winter Haven to Miami. The result was actually a pretty nice spread of times for Miami both arriving (noon, 5 PM, and 10 PM) and departing (7 AM, 11 AM, and 5 PM). The Sunset East also added a third JAX-ORL frequency a couple of days per week.

Honestly, I think running trains to Orlando is the ideal, but if you ran a Silver Palm on that route and did a split to Miami on the FEC...it would have a good morning arrival time and you could probably run it as the last one out in the evening.

Just came back today on 91 the Silver Star.

Train was actually sold out in coach, roomette and rooms between NC and Florida.

In RGH we boarded over 200 pax most headed for ORL, KIS, TPA. Today was a Monday and while I did not get any exact counts for Tampa there were "A LOT" of Pax off and on in Tampa and I am sure it was over 100 each way and likely much more as the train was slightly delayed while they dealt with baggage and pax boarding and deboarding issues. (The diner car employees were helping unload bags to keep it running close to on time in both ORL and TPA something I never saw before)

We had an intial delay out between Cary and Southern Pines as a pax became ill and needed to be taken off by EMS in Apex, NC. then made it up by the time we were in Orlando where it took forever to off load pax and bags, repeat in TPA. Load was surprisingly light in the sleepers south of Tampa (They have emptied and refilled in most trips but, were probably around 25-50% full in sleepers. Coach was pretty full.

I do not think the Palmetto schedule would be horrible for Florida.

I would think an ideal situation would be to keep the Silver Meteor 97/98 on the current schedule, Same goes for the 91/92 Silver Star, Run the Palmetto down from SAV-JAX then along the FEC rails to Miami.

One point about Tri-Rail. I am not sure Amtrak really wants the passengers from Miami to West Palm Beach. Additionally, there could be an agreement as The Florida DOT bought the CSX tracks and paid to double track and put in advanced signaling. It was about the same time that Amtrak stopped taking locals in S Fla. and hence I would bet that there is something that happened when the DOT bought the track that limits competition with the State owned Tri-Rail.

I would love to see something like NC where the Carolinian and Piedmont services were packed on Sunday. Again a sold out train on the midday CLT-RGH. I am sure it wont happen with Rick Scott (and I am a conservative but thought that rail would make a persasive argument.) but a 2x MIA-TPA service (one with the 91/92 (MIA-FTL-DFB-DLR-WPB-OKB-SBG-WTH-LKL-TPA)continuing thru C Fla and north(TPA-LKL-KIS-ORL-WTP-DLD-PLK-JAX)) a 2x MIA-JAX on the FEC tracks. If that worked something like what NC had in mind with 3x daily service would be great. That would link many East Coast Florida cities to Amtrak like Daytona, Melbourne, Stuart, Ft Pierce, Port St Lucie, Sebastian, Vero Beach, St Augustine... Would also shave 5+ hours off the 91/92 for pax heading North.

I do not think that they would have any track useage issue between MIA-WPB and probably not even an issue from WPB to WTH however, I do think CSX might make a lot of issues from there north.

Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back