Flooding on route to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel the CONO both to NO and to Chicago via origination station in Memphis. There is a portion of the track in Memphis near the Pyramid that is very close to the low lying area of the Mississippi and that portion of the city has "a lot of flooding issues". There are posted pictures on Facebook of the area around the pyramid that shows the water steadily rising with evacuation orders orgoing. Portions of Beale Street are under water.
Beale Street flooding does not mean track underwater. The railroad passes over Beale and there is a sag point in Beale under the RR. This location floods at a much lower river stage than the current one. The point of concern are further north along Riverside Drive, although I think this area remains above water, and at the Wolf River crossing.

The SL might be effected if they open the Morganza Spillway NW of Baton Rouge. The water will flow down the Atchafalya flowage and impact Morgan City in a few days. Besides water, Morgan City has flood gates on it's levies which, if closed, would block rail traffic.

They've already opened the Bonne Carre spillway which the CONO crosses right along Lake Ponchetrain. But that's probably of no concern as the CONO isn't running now.
The spillway is in fact diverting Mississippi river flood waters into lake Ponchartrain. This has the potential to affect the Crescent.
Dumping water through the Bonne Carre will have no affect on the CofNO route. Effect on the Crescent route is also unlikely. Remember, the NS bridge over the east end of Laake Ponchatrain is six miles long. It takes A LOT of water to get the level high enough to get to that bridge. In fact, the only thing that has, so far as I know, has been when a hurricane has driven Gulf of Mexico water into the lake.

Likewise, the Morganza spillway will not affect the CofNO route. it opens flow to the west and the CofNO is on the east side of the river. It could possibly affect the Sunset Limited route.

Isn't it the case that if the Army Corp of Engineers were not trying to manage the Mississippi it would most likely be flowing down the Atchafalaya River and Basis which is where the Morganza Spillway flows into, instead of through Baton Rouge and New Orleans?

Just giving an update to those who might be interested.

I just called amtrak and as of right now, they have stopped the CONO from Chicago to Memphis until May 20th due to the floods.

She said it was originally the 14th but they just updated to the 20th, pending level and track damage.

just thought someone might need to know.

Looks like this means I get one more extended week in montana. :)

I just called amtrak and as of right now, they have stopped the CONO from Chicago to Memphis until May 20th due to the floods.

She said it was originally the 14th but they just updated to the 20th, pending level and track damage.

I hope all this settles down before my scheduled trip on the CONO in July :-/

Thanks for the information. We are still hoping it will be clear by June 9 all the way through MEM to CHI to SEA.

Glad I switched to the Crescent next week!

Here is a question. If New Orleans did flood and the Crescent couldn't actually reach New Orleans, where would the train originate from? It seems that only a couple stops would possibly be affected by flooding on the Crescent.

Isn't it the case that if the Army Corp of Engineers were not trying to manage the Mississippi it would most likely be flowing down the Atchafalaya River and Basis which is where the Morganza Spillway flows into, instead of through Baton Rouge and New Orleans?
Probably. The "Old Man River" has tended to wander. Just look at all the horseshoe lakes adjacent to it.

In reference to the Crescent, if I recall correctly, there have been various endpoints when New Orleans could not be reached: Hattiesburg, Meridian, Birmingham and Atlanta.

On the City of New Orleans route it is still operating Memphis to New Orleans. Let's hope the flooding doesn't mess that up. In checking on the possible Bluford District detour, things are still pretty 'iffy' for running a passenger train. I remember when I worked for the ICG RR in the 1970's there were times when freights could creep through high water but it was not deemed safe for a passenger train full of people to do so.

On the regular CONO route the problem isn't just in Illinois---northern Kentucky south of the Cairo bridge has problems as well.

Hopefully the May 21 date for resumption north of Memphis will work out.

I'm in Baton Rouge, and have booked a school trip on CONO for May 27th with a total of 15 going. I'm worried at this point, but I don't know if I'm more worried my house will flood (Right next to Levee in BR) or if the train won't run. LOL. At this point I guess I have to have a sense of humor about it and pray for everyone's safety, that the trains will be running, and I won't be cleaning up a big mess. Cross your fingers out there for us.

In reference to the Crescent, if I recall correctly, there have been various endpoints when New Orleans could not be reached: Hattiesburg, Meridian, Birmingham and Atlanta.
Normally when New Orleans closes the flood gates, the Crescent terminates in Atlanta.

They generally only turn in one of those other cities if something goes wrong downline after the Crescent has already departed Atlanta. But if Amtrak knows that NOL is closing down, they'll terminate in Atlanta.

Normally when New Orleans closes the flood gates, the Crescent terminates in Atlanta.

They generally only turn in one of those other cities if something goes wrong downline after the Crescent has already departed Atlanta. But if Amtrak knows that NOL is closing down, they'll terminate in Atlanta.
Then what transportation options are there Atlanta to New Orleans?

Then what transportation options are there Atlanta to New Orleans?
Once they close the flood gates, none!

My understanding is that if the Morganza Spillway opens then river levels in New Orleans will crest around where they are right now. Flood gates wont start to close until the river begins to hit 18ft. Which wont happen if Morganza opens.

My sister and I are traveling May 23 to New Orleans on Amtrac and wondering if this is going to go. Any information would be appreciated. thanks in advance

We will be traveling on the CONO from Chicago to NO the evening of Friday May 20. Any predictions about the route then? We have no other way to get there unless we fly and late reservations are not affordable. I realize this is a "fluid" situation but Amtrak should have some idea from the Army Corp of engineers were the water will be a week from now.

My sister and I are traveling May 23 to New Orleans on Amtrac and wondering if this is going to go. Any information would be appreciated. thanks in advance
Depends on where you are traveling from, the answer would be different. At the present time New Orleans does not appear to be in any danger itself, since the current plan is to open the Moragnza Spillway to relieve pressure on New Orleans and make sure that the river stays below the dreaded 18' mark.

In a strange way nature is our friend in this case, since without the Army Core of Engineers' intervention to keep the Mississippi in its present channel through New Orleans it would apparently prefer to transfer most of its flow to the Atchafalaya Channel that is fed by the Old River Works and the Morganza Spillway. In normal course about 30% of the flow is allowed to flow down that channel and 70% through New Orleans to keep the Port of New Orleans operational.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going from Memphis to New Orleans on May 19. Appears Memphis is okay but am wondering about the rest of the route and if there are any places between Memphis and New Orleans where there might be problems that would make them cancel the train. Thanks.

I am going from Memphis to New Orleans on May 19. Appears Memphis is okay but am wondering about the rest of the route and if there are any places between Memphis and New Orleans where there might be problems that would make them cancel the train. Thanks.
Theoretically at least, since that is all on the East bank of the river, there should not be a problem. The overflow will happen on the west bank through Red River and Morganza Spillway to the Atchafalaya Basin. But when nature is on rampage it is hard to predict these things with any exactitude.

I just talked to a Amtrak representative and May 17th is the day they are looking at from .Chicago to New Orleans but he said to check again in a few days..

Canadian National's website indicates repairs on the line through Cairo are taking place and according to current estimates, normal service will be restored May 17th. However, at this time, Amtrak's website isn't taking reservations prior to the May 21st departures. Let's hope for the best, but I would suggest checking with Amtrak in a couple of days to see for sure when they will resume operations.

Thanks for all the great information here about the flooding and service interruptions as a result of the flooding. I just read that the track that the CONO runs on, is owned by CN - does anyone know who owns the track that the Sunset Limited runs on, west of New Orleans, across Louisiana and in to Texas?

Thanks for all the great information here about the flooding and service interruptions as a result of the flooding. I just read that the track that the CONO runs on, is owned by CN - does anyone know who owns the track that the Sunset Limited runs on, west of New Orleans, across Louisiana and in to Texas?
New Orleans Public Belt from New Orleans station to some point west of the Huey Long Bridge. BNSF from there to Iowa Jct. (about 10 miles east of Lake Charles) Union Pacific from there to just before the Netches River bridge at Beaumont. KCS across the bridge and for a short distance west. Union Pacific the rest of the way to Houston. The UP and BNSF portions are all formerly Southern Pacific.

New Orleans Public Belt from New Orleans station to some point west of the Huey Long Bridge. BNSF from there to Iowa Jct. (about 10 miles east of Lake Charles) Union Pacific from there to just before the Netches River bridge at Beaumont. KCS across the bridge and for a short distance west. Union Pacific the rest of the way to Houston. The UP and BNSF portions are all formerly Southern Pacific.
Interesting. I haven't been following rail mergers closely. Why isn't all the former SP track route UP? How did the BNSF get involved in that line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back