Flooding concerns in ND and MN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

radsmom

Train Attendant
Hi there,

I have been closely watching the news and have seen reports of record flooding expected in ND (Grand Forks and Fargo) from the Red River. They predict by later next week it will be well above record stages.

Of course my travel disruption worries pale in comparison to peoples lives and property in jeapordy, but I was wondering if this is an issue that can cause the train to not run. Does anyone have insight into this? Where is my best source of news regarding rail travel being disrupted by flooding and bridges being closed, etc.? Thanks! C.J.

In the end, it's going to be up to the host railroad as to whether there will be any delays, but trains are pretty-all weather. As long as the tracks themselves aren't flooded, a train can run.

Several years ago, I took the Sunset from New Orleans to Houston during a tropical storm. We went through an area with water literally lapping at the rails.

sechs said:
In the end, it's going to be up to the host railroad as to whether there will be any delays, but trains are pretty-all weather. As long as the tracks themselves aren't flooded, a train can run.
Several years ago, I took the Sunset from New Orleans to Houston during a tropical storm. We went through an area with water literally lapping at the rails.
I understand what you're saying - in fact I was on the SL during major flooding and the train went about 15 mph for 6 hours, but what I am referring to in my post is about bridges being closed and major serious flood threats in ND and MN. It was on the news a bunch today.

I am not familiar with the EB route but from looking at the map it sure looks like it goes right through the area that is under major flood watch. I was hoping someone here might have some inside info on any buzz about this.

I'll give you some first hand accounts of flooding here at the Red River.

I live in Grand Forks and the river is expected to crest on Friday at 48 feet. Hopefully our new dikes will hold it back. The tracks Amtrak uses here hit the very west side of town about 5 miles from the river, so I really doubt anything will get that far. If it does, I will not be here either. Out of three bridges in town, the US 2 bridge is the only one still open, as they have put in the walls for the dike on the other two roads. Not sure if the BNSF bridge is closed now, but Amtrak doesn't use that anyways. Going south along I-29, the tracks pretty much follow the interstate. I just drove it from Fargo on Saturday, and you can waterski in the medians. Yet the tracks and road are all above water level right now. Apparently there was one spot on 29 with water on the road, but it was cleared for now.

As for Fargo, Amtrak does cross the river here. Fargo is suppose to get some flooding, however I really don't know how it would effect the tracks. If the I-94 bridge is fine I think the BNSF bridge would be as well. Downtown Fargo does not lay right on the riverbank as does downtown Grand Forks. And I have no idea how high the tracks are going thru that area. The river in Fargo should crest on Wednesday or so.

But I'll be sure to keep you posted. The river is already very high and up on the park and trails that run along side it. Hopefully I will be ok, and not have a flood like they did in 1997. I believe the Empire Builder rerouted from Minot straight to Fargo for several weeks. Downtown Grand Forks and UND had major damage, so hopefully I will be ok.

uh-oh. I'm taking the EB in a couple weeks. I'll be watching this thread with special interest. :)

Thanks! I am in Portland now and at the Apple store checking my thread. I am keeping my fingers crossed for no bad flooding - not just for me but for all of the people who live there!

I am really looking forward to taking the EB - it is a long time dream of mine. :)

Update- Well the river has pretty much crested in Fargo yesterday and Grand Forks today. I'll have to get some some pictures of it. Even though the main bridge across has been closed, the BNSF railroad bridge next to it, is still in use! I saw two freight trains on it today. Keep in mind the water level right now, comes right up to the bottom. Even though Amtrak does not use this bridge, it definently means the tracks to the west where Amtrak does come, are well out of harms way.

As for Fargo, some houses did get water, but I don't think there was major damage. I'm sure if the rail line were closed through there, I would know about it, as it is part of the BNSF highline to Seattle.

So all in all even though the river is 47 feet above normal here in GFK, life is going on as usual, as is the Empire Builder. So you should be just fine.

Chris

Thanks so much! We leave this afternoon and we are pretty excited. Stay safe and dry! Radsmom

:) C.J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back