FLL to Maine-routing question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabbygrrl

Train Attendant
I booked an AGR oneway trip on the Silver Meteor in a roomette, from FLL to SAO. The connection booked is in WAS, with a 5 hour layover. They have us changing to a NER from WAS to BOS, then the connection to the Downeaster.

I called them back to see if we could keep our roomette until NYP, then change there. I was told that it was not a "guaranteed connection" and although they could force that connection, we were not covered should there be a delay. So basically if the train was late into NYP or there were any other issues, we would be stuck there and would have to buy a new ticket to get us to Maine. (or at least Boston)

Does this make sense? I don't understand why we have to vacate the roomette in WAS and have it travel empty to NYP, while we sit in WAS for 5 hours. We'd like to stay in the roomette as long as possible.

Or is this part of the Amtrak mystery routing program?

Thoughts?

I assume the connection they offer is 98-WAS-176-BOS-689? I can see why they don't offer you 98-WAS-86-BOS-687 or 98-NYP-86-BOS-687. But I agree with you, I don't understand why they won't offer 98-NYP-176-BOS-689. The connection at NYP is 4 hrs 30 mins versus 4 hrs 55 mins at WAS.

Says something about Amtrak's lack of confidence when operating over their own track..

I suggest you log on to the AGR Forum on Flyer Talk and join as a Member ( it's Free) and ask AGR Insider, who is a Manager @ AGR in Washington, about this!

He has been able to help other with similar problems on connectioms on AGR Award trips.

Lots of it has to do with the Limitations in Arrow since so many things have to be manually entered into the system. Lots of valid connections are not in the system!

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent suggestion. I have had to find an experienced agent to correct my reservation so they were logical and not like the computer required. But the person has to have the authority to "override" to make manual changes.

Back