"Flexible Fare" on Capitol Corridor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BCL

Engineer
I was looking for maybe a weekend excursion ride with my kid, and I remember back when the Coast Starlight was actually less EMY-SJC (or RIC-SJC) than Capitol Corridor if it was a low bucket. Currently I seem to always find the same prices. However, the other odd thing I'm seeing now is a "Flexible Fare" for Capitol Corridor. Since it's unreserved and there's no business class, I'm wondering what paying more will do other than sucker some people into paying more because they think it will get more. I understand what it does for a reserved train like the Coast Starlight, where someone can fail to show up and still get a refund.

From what I can tell the intent is to allow for more flexibility for someone who might be taking the train on a specific occasion and will have no use for any train travel funds in the future. It could also allow peace of mind for someone booking to have more flexibility.

I don't see a practical use to book it unless for those reasons above. Unreserved fares always have a 10% refund fee from the time booked so it could be a peace of mind option. I do agree though that unreserved "value" fares are already very flexible though as you can no-show and still use the ticket within a year of the date of purchase or you can opt to receive an e-voucher at any time prior to departure.

To each his or her own! With events at Levi's Stadium coming up there might be a wave of new riders as well who may like the "option."

What gets me is that the "flexible" fare is double the "value" fare. I certainly understand that if a reserved ticket isn't cancelled and there's a no-show, it now gets forfeited. However, an unused unreserved ticket can still get an eVoucher for the full amount and of course the cash refund minus 10% or $5. Add to that the ability to use the ticket up to a year.

The value proposition doesn't seem to be there - especially not at double the fare.

I think I see the question (and don't have a good response): What is a "flexible" fare doing on an "unreserved" train?

My best reply is that it is simply Amtrak putting in a "default" option. I know the Surfliner and Keystones go all-reserved at, for example, Thanksgiving...does the CC do so as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
The CC doesn't. It is Unreserved all year round. Granted, it could be a placeholder to have the option in the future, however it hasn't been needed as of yet.

For Thanksgiving Eve, Trains are lengthened from 4-5 cars to 5-9 cars and a Caltrain train set is sometime borrowed for a round trip (with the exception of this past year). Some trains are standing room only, however the common practice has still be an unreserved service. The 9-car train is usually used on all trips associated with the PM trip that gathers the highest combination of Commuters and Students (particularly from UC Davis). The trains remain long through the weekend generally.

I still do agree though that there is no reasonable scenario that I can see booking a Flexible fare over a value fare on the Capitol Corridor.

I would never see a reason to book a flexible fare, unless I was in a pinch, and it was the only one left. I'd never not show up for a train. If I do have to miss one, I'd just call them up and get the ticket converted into a voucher. It's not like the airlines where a lack of a flexible ticket means that you can't change or cancel your trip without obscene fees. The worst that can happen on Amtrak is that you get slapped with a 10% refund fee, but that should only happen if you want the ticket value sent back to your method of payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back