Flagstaff, AZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
I am working on planning a trip for eight people and we will arrive in FLG on a Sunday evening (6/14/09). We will be picking up a rental van the next morning. Could anyone recommend a place to stay within walking distnace of the station for that evening?

Well, by the looks of it, the Highland Country Inn isn't too bad. ok, prices and just the basics! It's about 4/10 miles from Amtrak. The Embassy Suites looks really nice, but it's 6/10th mile away. If you go to hotels.com and put in the address of the Amtrak Station (1 E Route 66, Flagstaff, AZ), it will give you all the details.

Hi - I replied to your post the other day. Glad you asked. The closest lodging to the station is one block west of the station, the Rodeway Inn. I have stayed there once, under previous management, and did not like it. The rooms were tacky and the freight train noise is frankly horrible. ( the trains themselves are not that noisy, but they are required to blow for the grade crossings - believe me - bad news, even if you LOVE trains. ) About two blocks north of the station is the Monte Vista Hotel - I've stayed there twice - small rooms but the place does have character - although noise from the cocktail lounge permeates the building in the evening. The Weatherford Hotel is nearby, also right in the business district - have not stayed there, but it is also a landmark. Last week I stayed two nights at the recently opened Drury Hotel, which is I'd say less than a half mile from the station on Milton Rd. ( Route 66 ) The rooms were nice and cushy at a pretty reasonable price. ( $85 for just little old me. ) I can recommend this place and a hot complimentary breakfast is included. ( PM me and I'll give you directions. ) There are numerous other so-so motles like the Highland ( have not stayed there ) along Milton Road, all close to Flagstaff Station.

I am working on planning a trip for eight people and we will arrive in FLG on a Sunday evening (6/14/09). We will be picking up a rental van the next morning. Could anyone recommend a place to stay within walking distnace of the station for that evening?
Hanno, why wait until the next morning to pickup a rental. With Hertz you can arrange to pick up your rental when you arrive. We did exactly that this year at FLG and we didn't arrive until 2AM. The agent was available when we arrived. The only thing I'm not sure about though is if you can do the station pickup with a van!

BTW, we stayed that evening at the Holiday Inn and stayed there again before we returned back east.I liked it there. However, it's not really walking distance from the station. SEE MAP FROM AMTRAK STATION TO HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. The reason for not picking up the car upon arrival is that Hertz does not rent a van large enough for eight people. Avis does but it is closed on Sundays (our day of arrival) so thus the thought of walking to a hotel and picking up the car Monday morning. The Avis office is located somewhere in town (I have not researched the location yet) which brings up another questions. Does FLG have taxi service available and, if so, would it be available on a Sunday night?

Thanks again for the ideas!

Thanks to all of you for your excellent suggestions. The reason for not picking up the car upon arrival is that Hertz does not rent a van large enough for eight people. Avis does but it is closed on Sundays (our day of arrival) so thus the thought of walking to a hotel and picking up the car Monday morning. The Avis office is located somewhere in town (I have not researched the location yet) which brings up another questions. Does FLG have taxi service available and, if so, would it be available on a Sunday night?
I have used Friendly Cab in Flagstaff. 928-774-4444. However, I just Mapquested the Avis office at town, which is at 100 N. Humphreys St. Right in the business distrct, within a block or two of the first three hotels i mentioned, so you would not need a cab.

I have used Friendly Cab in Flagstaff. 928-774-4444. However, I just Mapquested the Avis office at town, which is at 100 N. Humphreys St. Right in the business distrct, within a block or two of the first three hotels i mentioned, so you would not need a cab.
Thanks for doing the research! Perhaps you would like to come along ;) ! I think your expereince would be extremely helpful :) !

Someone suggested using Vegas as a departure point instead of PHX. I would really like to do that as we want to spend time in Sedona as well as Bryce and Zion. To go to these places and then to Sedona from FLG is a lot of back tracking. Do you have any suggestions on renting a van (large enough for 8 people) in FLG and dropping it off at the Vegas airport? I have had no success in finding this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back