First Trip On Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll be taking my teen daughter on her first train trip this year, leaving Vancouver for Seattle on The Cascades and then taking the Empire Builder to Chicago the next day. The whole idea for this trip came from a great experience two years ago the two of us had taking the Coast Starlight down to Oakland.

I've been reading through the all of the EB posts here (thanks very much for the great info!) and am aware that while there may be some scheduling issues, the ride should be an enjoyable one. We have two adjoining bedrooms for the trip and will be in no particular rush. I realize there's no parlour cars on this run (or on the CS right now - pity), but does anyone have any quick route or train specific advice for us on this trip? It's always an adventure, but we're also always open to suggestions from those more experienced.

Thanks and Safe Travels!

sit back and relax, participate in the wine-tasting, and enjoy your trip. If you are not worried about getting to Chicago late, you should have a great trip.

Recline your seat (or not) and stare out the window! There's always new things to see. Don't get preoccupied with other things, focus on the scenery! Even the plains seen interesting. I never get bored on a train trip, even without extra things to do! I do get bored on aircraft or buses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check that there are no service disruptions the night before. Amtrak usually doesn't post these on service alerts, instead

, in train status. Rather than expect a 5 star hotel, expect a not to luxurious ride and your trip will be awesome. Also, Montana plains can be a little boring so bring a book! Have a nice trip.

Also, Montana plains can be a little boring so bring a book! Have a nice trip.
I beg to differ. The Great Plains are awesome scenery, without all of those trees and mountains getting in the way.

Try to be on the left side of the sightseer lounge from St. Paul (really, Hastings) to Lacrosse. You go down the Mississippi River, and have great views of the river, its traffic, its birds (usually some bald eagles, for instance), and the river bluffs of the driftless region. Unless your train is spectacularly late from the start, it's some of the most attractive scenery on the route.

I beg to differ. The Great Plains are awesome scenery, with out all of those trees and mountains getting in the way.

Try to be on the left side of the sightseer lounge from St. Paul (really, Hastings) to Lacrosse. You go down the Mississippi River, and have great views of the river, its traffic, its birds (usually some bald eagles, for instance), and the river bluffs of the driftless region. Unless your train is spectacularly late from the start, it's some of the most attractive scenery on the route.
Yes, I really do love the Montana plains, they never get boring when I go through them, and I find reading on a moving train especially hard and tiring.

I beg to differ. The Great Plains are awesome scenery, with out all of those trees and mountains getting in the way.

Yes, I really do love the Montana plains, they never get boring when I go through them, and I find reading on a moving train especially hard and tiring.
Yes, there is a certain soothing quality to the Plains and I find myself looking out into the vast expanses and imagining things that might be out there that maybe are not. I also agree with your comments about reading - I can do it for a while, but something about the slight motion of the train makes it tiring after a while. So far, chatting with other travellers is amongst the most interesting parts of some of our trips.

Good suggestion about checking the status of the train. I'm not too concerned if we late when we arrive, I just don't want to show for our departure only to find it's been delayed. Thanks for the tip!

Very important.

On the first morning you awake on the train, go to breakfast as soon as the diner opens, scarf, and then get to the Sightseer Lounge to get a good seat before you get to Glacier National Park.

EDIT: grammar

I rode EB earlier this year from Seattle to Chicago. It was very relaxing and the scenery was always interesting. I loved catching the first glimpse of Chicago off in the distance and growing as we got closer. Enjoy your trip!

Very important.

On the first morning you awake on the train, go to breakfast as soon as the diner opens, scarf, and then get to the Sightseer Lounge to get a good seat before you get to Glacier National Park.

EDIT: grammar
Remember that the diner usually opens before the first announcement. If you do not get there quickly, you could get put on the waiting list, which messes up your chances of see Glacier Park from the lounge.

Bohemian,

Figured i'd share

of some of the views you'd be getting on your way to Chicago.
Have a great trip!

We'll be taking my teen daughter on her first train trip this year, leaving Vancouver for Seattle on The Cascades and then taking the Empire Builder to Chicago the next day. The whole idea for this trip came from a great experience two years ago the two of us had taking the Coast Starlight down to Oakland.

I've been reading through the all of the EB posts here (thanks very much for the great info!) and am aware that while there may be some scheduling issues, the ride should be an enjoyable one. We have two adjoining bedrooms for the trip and will be in no particular rush. I realize there's no parlour cars on this run (or on the CS right now - pity), but does anyone have any quick route or train specific advice for us on this trip? It's always an adventure, but we're also always open to suggestions from those more experienced.

Thanks and Safe Travels!
No Parlour cars on the CS currently?!?!? What's that about? When will they return?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back