First Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AlanB said:
USAFLady said:
15 % for what reason?  I bought a vets membership to Amtrak rewards so I get that discount already.... is it cheaper sometimes to try and wait till on the train to upgrade to get a better rate? :D
Your Veterans Advantage only applies to what Amtrak calls the railfare, the amount that they normally charge to travel from point A to point B in a coach seat.

When you book a sleeper, there is normally no discount on what they call the accomodation charge. However, if one upgrades to a sleeper while on-board, then Amtrak gives you a discount. Typically that is 15% off the normal rate, although some conductors have been known to discount even further, especially if the sleeper is very empty.

It's generally hardest to upgrade during the summer months and around the holidays, as those are the times that the sleepers typically sell out.
thanks... didn't know that.... from some of the people I talked to on the train that were regulars, they said, that as far as they knew, most of the sleepers on the MOT to MINN weren't normally booked..... most people use it as a form of commuter service.....

I will definitely look into that now..... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back