First Train Ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_USAFLady

Well I made it..... interesting experience to say the least. :D

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Sounds great! Tell us more. Was your train on time? What did you think of the trains/accomidations themselves? :D
I think the train left within 2 minutes of it's scheduled departure time from Minneapolis. That train station is certainly lacking in the bare essentials. We had a very nice conductor that put us in seats 1 and 2 of our train. I thought we were lucking out. My bad..... we must have had the entire national youth team of something on our train and all in my car or behind us who took the greatest delight in running up and down the isle making the doors open and close. I didn't sleep all nite. The cafe on the train closed at 11, we didn't board till 11:20, so nothing to eat or drink till breakfast. We were at breakfast at 0635, got seated right away and the food was excellent. Service was great. We got into Minot about 10 minutes late. Overall I thought the train was great, but never again will I take a coach seat at the front or travel without something to eat or drink. I am still undecided about Christmas time. I personally think it would be kind of kewl still, I wanted to try and get to see a sleeper car, but no such luck. Just how small is that shower in that room?

:D

USAFLady said:
Just how small is that shower in that room?:D
Think Superman Phone booth small and then maybe even a bit smaller than that.

I personally never use shower in the deluxe room when I book that room. I always use the public shower on the lower level as it's larger and I can move around a little in that one.

AlanB said:
USAFLady said:
Just how small is that shower in that room?:D
Think Superman Phone booth small and then maybe even a bit smaller than that.

I personally never use shower in the deluxe room when I book that room. I always use the public shower on the lower level as it's larger and I can move around a little in that one.
thanks.... I'll keep that in mind.... :D

You can ask any of us anything about anything train related, that's why we're here.

USAFLady said:
I thought the train was great, but never again will I take a coach seat at the front or travel without something to eat or drink. I am still undecided about Christmas time. I personally think it would be kind of kewl still, I wanted to try and get to see a sleeper car, but no such luck. Just how small is that shower in that room? :D
With over 5 years of Amtrak travel behind me, I must say no trip will ever go perfectly and that, in a way, is one joy of rail travel. Each time you will discover something new about riding Amtrak and then on your next trip will be even more prepared. Glad to see you kept the positive attitude! B)

This is just a clarification, but only the Deulxe Room has a shower (which is very very tiny), the Standard Rooms don't. However, there is a public shower on the lower level, which is much larger than the one in the Deluxe Room.

Don't forget there are plenty of things that can go wrong on other means of transportation, and that is if there is another means of transporation available. Much of the highline route through North Dakota and Montana is served only by Amtrak's Empire Builder for intercity travel and is considered essential, not just fopr passengers but also for packages (like plants, flowers, etc. for local businesses). Since you now know something about Amtrak travel, you can better plan for it next time. Since the segment of the trip between Minneapolis and Minot is primarily overnight, I wouldn't worry too much about taking a shower on board. But, bringing your own food (or eating before boarding, although it is more fun to eat dinner in the dining car, I think) at night might be a good idea. Try sometime, too, to go farther. The ride through Glacier National Park is spectacular. Although you will want to make sure you make such a trip in late Spring, Summer, or early Fall, as westbound, the train passes through the park in the evening. Eastbound, it is during the morning hours, and there should be plenty of daylight most anytime.

Amfleet said:
USAFLady said:
I thought the train was great, but never again will I take a coach seat at the front or travel without something to eat or drink.  I am still undecided about Christmas time.   I personally think it would be kind of kewl still, I wanted to try and get to see a sleeper car, but no such luck.  Just how small is that shower in that room? :D
With over 5 years of Amtrak travel behind me, I must say no trip will ever go perfectly and that, in a way, is one joy of rail travel. Each time you will discover something new about riding Amtrak and then on your next trip will be even more prepared. Glad to see you kept the positive attitude! B)

This is just a clarification, but only the Deulxe Room has a shower (which is very very tiny), the Standard Rooms don't. However, there is a public shower on the lower level, which is much larger than the one in the Deluxe Room.
thanks about the difference in the rooms. I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't mind the having to go downstairs to shower. Overall though I must say the grandbaby (she slept most of the time) and I had a great time, I did learn alot. You do get to meet a big variety of people, we sat with a nice couple at breakfast, and the young couple we met at Minn was really helpful to us. I do think that Amtrak needs to remember that they do get newbie riders and having a seat map or having a car attendant available to help you would be a great assest into helping a newbie make a decision again to take another train. We saw our train attendant twice, right after we first left when he brought us pillows, and then just before we were pulling into Minot.

USAFLady said:
Amfleet said:
USAFLady said:
I thought the train was great, but never again will I take a coach seat at the front or travel without something to eat or drink.  I am still undecided about Christmas time.   I personally think it would be kind of kewl still, I wanted to try and get to see a sleeper car, but no such luck.  Just how small is that shower in that room? :D

thanks about the difference in the rooms. I will definitely keep that in mind. I don't mind the having to go downstairs to shower. Overall though I must say the grandbaby (she slept most of the time) and I had a great time, I did learn alot. You do get to meet a big variety of people, we sat with a nice couple at breakfast, and the young couple we met at Minn was really helpful to us. I do think that Amtrak needs to remember that they do get newbie riders and having a seat map or having a car attendant available to help you would be a great assest into helping a newbie make a decision again to take another train. We saw our train attendant twice, right after we first left when he brought us pillows, and then just before we were pulling into Minot.
Unfortunately, some attendants just don't care and will go and hide in the lower-level of one of the Coaches for the whole trip when they should be making sure their passengers are okay, getting meals for handicaped passnegers, and keeping the restrooms clean. Then there are others who will do the above and more.

This slipped my mind when you announced you were leaving on your trip, but you could have asked the conductor to give a tour of a sleeper. All you would have had to say was you were planning a more extensive trip and you wanted to see a sleeper. Sorry I didn't let you know earlier, but if you take another mini trip before December then I would ask.

Amfleet said:
USAFLady said:
Amfleet said:
USAFLady said:

Unfortunately, some attendants just don't care and will go and hide in the lower-level of one of the Coaches for the whole trip when they should be making sure their passengers are okay, getting meals for handicaped passnegers, and keeping the restrooms clean. Then there are others who will do the above and more.

This slipped my mind when you announced you were leaving on your trip, but you could have asked the conductor to give a tour of a sleeper. All you would have had to say was you were planning a more extensive trip and you wanted to see a sleeper. Sorry I didn't let you know earlier, but if you take another mini trip before December then I would ask.
remember I have a return trip to Minn on the 16th.... So I just need to tell the conductor I'd like to see a sleeper? Let me ask you something. Are all the sleepers on the lower level? :D

Just tell the conductor that you are traveling by train for the first time and are planning to take a more extensive trip by a sleeper and would like the see one if that's all right. Hopefully, s/he will say yes.

Sleeper rooms are on both the uper and lower level. On the lower level there are 4 standard rooms, a family room, an accessible room, the shower, and three restrooms. On the upper level there are 9 standard rooms, 5 deluxe rooms, the attendants room, and a restroom. This page has the layout of a Superliner Sleeping Car. :)

Amfleet said:
Just tell the conductor that you are traveling by train for the first time and are planning to take a more extensive trip by a sleeper and would like the see one if that's all right. Hopefully, s/he will say yes.
Sleeper rooms are on both the uper and lower level. On the lower level there are 4 standard rooms, a family room, an accessible room, the shower, and three restrooms. On the upper level there are 9 standard rooms, 5 deluxe rooms, the attendants room, and a restroom. This page has the layout of a Superliner Sleeping Car. :)
thanks... okay if I was going to get a superline room, which level would you recommend and what level? does the train ride better on the lower level than the upper? I swear I could feel if we ran over an ant in my seat last nite. The shaking and the shudders I could deal with, I'm curious about how easy it is to sleep? I ran into several people who told me most people sleep during the day and stay up all nite. :D

First, whether you take a room on the upper or lower level is your preference. The upper level tends to say from side to side a bit more, but is a quiet as you are not so close to the tracks. On the lower level you will not get a lot of the motion, but will get some track noise (not lound and unbareable though). Sleeping on a train is different for everyone. At night, you can't see what's going on outside and most tend to be aware of movements and such. This will keep one awake, and is actually quite commom, even for railfans. It'll take me a good 2 hours to fall asleep and by that time it is 2-3 in the morning and I'm up around 7. Then throughout the day I will drift off and take little naps. I will also suggest an over the counter sleeping pill as that'll do the trick.

Amfleet said:
First, whether you take a room on the upper or lower level is your preference. The upper level tends to say from side to side a bit more, but is a quiet as you are not so close to the tracks. On the lower level you will not get a lot of the motion, but will get some track noise (not lound and unbareable though). Sleeping on a train is different for everyone. At night, you can't see what's going on outside and most tend to be aware of movements and such. This will keep one awake, and is actually quite commom, even for railfans. It'll take me a good 2 hours to fall asleep and by that time it is 2-3 in the morning and I'm up around 7. Then throughout the day I will drift off and take little naps. I will also suggest an over the counter sleeping pill as that'll do the trick.
lord if that was quiet where I was... remember I was at the front of the cabin, right near the doors to the next cabin..... the nite thing doesn't bother me... the biggest issue I guess I have is how smooth, noise don't bother me, is the lower or upper level sleeping room? which one is best? in your opinion? :D

I always prefer the upper accomidations in a sleeper car. The lower level tends to be RIGHT at level of people outside at station stops. Also, depeding on the car you get, some superliners have squeaky wheels, and on the lower level you hear these much more then on the upper level.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I always prefer the leupper accomidations in a sleeper car. The lower level tends to be RIGHT at vel of people outside at station stops. Also, depeding on the car you get, some superliners have squeaky wheels, and on the lower level you hear these much more then on the upper level.
okay, thanks.... the only time I was on the lower level was getting on and off the train, and we weren't moving, and when I went to use the facilities. Which by the way.... I found out are located right next to the exit. I got blocked in for 10 minutes.... lucky me... thank god I had that couple who watched my baby for me.... if they hadn't been there to tell her where nana was when she woke up she would have freaked out..... :D

USAFLady said:
remember I have a return trip to Minn on the 16th.... So I just need to tell the conductor I'd like to see a sleeper? Let me ask you something. Are all the sleepers on the lower level? :D
Assuming that you find a conductor who is willing to take the time, most will, but it is possible to hit one who's feeling lazy. It also assumes that he has an empty room to show you, as obviously he can't show you a room that someone is occupying.

Now moving over to which level is better. I've slept on both levels in a superliner and frankly neither bothered me much. I usually sleep pretty well on the train, only waking when we make a station stop. I don't wake for all of them, but I do find that if we're moving I usually stay asleep. It's when we stop that I'm more likely to wake up.

However each person is different. I met people who don't sleep at all on the train, I've met some that love the lower level, and I've met some who prefer the upper level. Overall I'd have to say that I've found more people who prefer the upper level.

If you opt for a deluxe bedroom, then you will have no choice as all are on the upper level. It's only if you choose a standard room that you could pick the lower level and you must do that when you book your reservation. Unlike the coach seats, your bedroom is assigned when you book.

Amfleet said:
On the upper level there are 9 standard rooms, 5 deluxe rooms, the attendants room, and a restroom.
Amfleet,

There are 10 standard bedrooms on the upper level, in addition to the attendant's room. Not 9.

AlanB said:
USAFLady said:
remember I have a return trip to Minn on the 16th.... So I just need to tell the conductor I'd like to see a sleeper?  Let me ask you something.  Are all the sleepers on the lower level?   :D
Assuming that you find a conductor who is willing to take the time, most will, but it is possible to hit one who's feeling lazy. It also assumes that he has an empty room to show you, as obviously he can't show you a room that someone is occupying.

Now moving over to which level is better. I've slept on both levels in a superliner and frankly neither bothered me much. I usually sleep pretty well on the train, only waking when we make a station stop. I don't wake for all of them, but I do find that if we're moving I usually stay asleep. It's when we stop that I'm more likely to wake up.

However each person is different. I met people who don't sleep at all on the train, I've met some that love the lower level, and I've met some who prefer the upper level. Overall I'd have to say that I've found more people who prefer the upper level.

If you opt for a deluxe bedroom, then you will have no choice as all are on the upper level. It's only if you choose a standard room that you could pick the lower level and you must do that when you book your reservation. Unlike the coach seats, your bedroom is assigned when you book.
thanks, I definitely got the impression that no one on my train last nite cared about anything other than themselves. Now the dining car people, that was fantastic. Like I said I didn't sleep the entire time, it would seem as soon as I was almost asleep, that damn door would go open. We even had one kid who seemed to take the greatest delight in punching it to open time and time again.

Maybe I will find out what it costs to upgrade to a sleeper on my return to Minn.... depending on the upgrade cost, after hearing your comments, I will definitely go with the upper level. I will make sure that whatever decision I make for Sunday, I have drinks and snacks for the ride..... :D

USAFLady said:
Like I said I didn't sleep the entire time, it would seem as soon as I was almost asleep, that damn door would go open. We even had one kid who seemed to take the greatest delight in punching it to open time and time again.
And that no doubt contributed to your sleepless night.

Maybe I will find out what it costs to upgrade to a sleeper on my return to Minn.... depending on the upgrade cost, after hearing your comments, I will definitely go with the upper level.
Should you decide to do that, remember that your meals would then be included. You also typically will get 15% off what the room normally would have cost.

Also, just as an FYI, you don't need to pay cash to upgrade on board. The conductor can take your credit card for the room surcharge if you prefer.

AlanB said:
USAFLady said:
Like I said I didn't sleep the entire time, it would seem as soon as I was almost asleep, that damn door would go open.  We even had one kid who seemed to take the greatest delight in punching it to open time and time again.
And that no doubt contributed to your sleepless night.

Maybe I will find out what it costs to upgrade to a sleeper on my return to Minn.... depending on the upgrade cost, after hearing your comments, I will definitely go with the upper level.
Should you decide to do that, remember that your meals would then be included. You also typically will get 15% off what the room normally would have cost.

Also, just as an FYI, you don't need to pay cash to upgrade on board. The conductor can take your credit card for the room surcharge if you prefer.
15 % for what reason? I bought a vets membership to Amtrak rewards so I get that discount already.... is it cheaper sometimes to try and wait till on the train to upgrade to get a better rate? :D

USAFLady said:
15 % for what reason? I bought a vets membership to Amtrak rewards so I get that discount already.... is it cheaper sometimes to try and wait till on the train to upgrade to get a better rate? :D
Your Veterans Advantage only applies to what Amtrak calls the railfare, the amount that they normally charge to travel from point A to point B in a coach seat.

When you book a sleeper, there is normally no discount on what they call the accomodation charge. However, if one upgrades to a sleeper while on-board, then Amtrak gives you a discount. Typically that is 15% off the normal rate, although some conductors have been known to discount even further, especially if the sleeper is very empty.

It's generally hardest to upgrade during the summer months and around the holidays, as those are the times that the sleepers typically sell out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back