"First Timer"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, technically not really...but the only time I've travelled by train was a short trip fifteen years ago, from Dallas to Longview. So, I don't think that really counts. ;)

I've now booked a more ambitious journey: the Texas Eagle to Chicago, then the Pere Marquette to Grand Rapids. Being a complete noob, I certainly have some questions that I hope some of you will be kind enough to address.

Security: One of the main reasons I have chosen Amtrak is that I'm going to a piano technicians convention, and may want to take a tool case holding a couple thousand dollars worth of specialized tools, some quite "dangerous"-looking. This always causes trouble when flying. I'll also likely be taking a laptop. I've booked a roomette (number five), but I understand you can't "lock it when you leave it"? Are there any added security measures available? Secure checked baggage? Should I just get some steel cable/padlocks to make them simply too d*****d hard to steal? I'm thinking there should be something to chain them to in the roomette...seat base, etc.

Connecting in Chicago: If everything goes right, I'll have about a three-hour wait for 'father' in Chicago. Now, it looks like the Art Institute is right down the street...time enough to check out a couple of select galleries? What if it's only an hour? Any diversions really close to CUS?

Pere Marquette: I haven't seen any accounts of this route here...has anyone taken it? I haven't thouroughly searched yet, but there are several Texas Eagle accounts that jumped out...none for 'father'!! Looks like quite a nice trip up the eastern shore of Lake Michigan!

Thanks for any input!!

John

Welcome!

As far as security goes, while I'm not usually a fan of "security through obscurity", in the case of sleeping accommodations if you leave the room with the curtain closed behind you, it would take a brazen individual indeed to open the door to even get in. That said, even if they did as long as you don't have valuables in plain sight, I wouldn't be overly concerned about anything that I left in the room. Given the value of your tools, a cable lock and making friends with the folks in the roomette across the hall (a simple "hey, can you keep an eye on my room while I'm our"? could go a long way) would leave me feeling very comfortable.

I carry a laptop and expensive cameras when I'm on the train and leave them in the room, door and curtains shut, when I go to the diner or SSL. Never have had a problem, never have heard of anyone having a problem. Just make sure everything is out of sight in the room, covered with a coat, in a suitcase, etc. You shouldn't have a problem.

If your time is short in Chicago and the weather is good the Sears tower is a nice side trip to consider.

we have always left computer and camera in our roomette with the curtain closed and the items stored out of sight without problem. i can't think of anything to run a cable lock through but maybe someone else can. you are a decent walk from the art institute and i don't think you could get there and see much between your trains as you will want to be back ready to board a good half hour before departure time. the area around the station and the bridges across the chicago river make for an interesting walk. don't know what times you get in or what day but the federal reserve bank isn't far from the station and has quite an interesting visitor's center

Connecting in Chicago: If everything goes right, I'll have about a three-hour wait for 'father' in Chicago. Now, it looks like the Art Institute is right down the street...time enough to check out a couple of select galleries? What if it's only an hour? Any diversions really close to CUS?
I believe the Art Institute is about a 15 minute walk or so from the station. We went there last summer and walked back to the station but we did that on the last of a 3 day stay in Chicago. If you like art quite a bit you may not have time to see all you'd like to see there.

Sears Tower is a very short walk and was an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so. Sears Tower is so close you could go there on a fairly short layover.

If you are going to eat, you can't go wrong w/ Giordano's pizza. It's the best. It's a short walk from the station.

There are lockers at Chicago Union Station if you wanted to store your laptop and tools while you are out and about.

Good luck!

Dan

I believe the Art Institute is about a 15 minute walk or so from the station. We went there last summer and walked back to the station but we did that on the last of a 3 day stay in Chicago. If you like art quite a bit you may not have time to see all you'd like to see there.

Sears Tower is a very short walk and was an enjoyable way to spend an hour or so. Sears Tower is so close you could go there on a fairly short layover.

If you are going to eat, you can't go wrong w/ Giordano's pizza. It's the best. It's a short walk from the station.

There are lockers at Chicago Union Station if you wanted to store your laptop and tools while you are out and about.

Good luck!

Dan
When you are arriving in Chicago on a train that you had sleeper accomodations, departing on another train, even without sleeper accomodations, you can still use the Metropolitian Lounge at CUS. Then you can use the vallet storeage, it will cost you a couple of bucks tip, but still may be cheaper than renting a locker.

GregL

Please don't send anyone to the Sears tower anymore, as it is no longer. :(
It is now the Willis Tower.

Have they moved it??
Nope, just renamed it.
It's about time!

Die%20Hard.jpg

The Art Institute is about a mile from Chicago Union Station, but it's a straight shot down Adams Street. I don't know your age, but if you ever played the children's game Masterpiece, you really have to go to the Art Institute, since (probably for copyright issues) all the paintings in the game are from the Art Institute. Well, even if you haven't played the game you ought to see the Chagal stained glass.

Alternately, downtown Chicago has the best selection of urban architecture I know. On layovers I'm working my way through Gerard R. Wolfe's "Chicago in and Around the Loop," but just walking along the river and seeing the buildings and the wonderful bridges together is worth it. Sadly the bridges no longer smell like chocolate.

I often have my laptop with me in a Roomette. I leave it in the room when I go for meals or the lounge.

The Berghoff restaurant has reopened and is a three block walk from Union Station. They have great pastrami sandwiches and dark beer!!

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Thanks to all for advice!!

I think if I have three hours, it will be the Art Institute (I fully realize it will of necessity be very "focused"...); two hours, maybe just 'wandering' lookin' at stuff and food at the Berghoff; one hour, probably just check out the station itself, hang in the lounge.

If we miss the connection and Amtrak "puts me up", it'll be all day at the Art Institute (Pere Marquette still won't leave until 5:30 the next day.). I'll miss a day of convention classes...but hey...I don't think I'd really have room to complain...LOL!

I'll try not to worry so much about stuff getting pinched...really, on the short trip I made years ago, it seemed like quite a congenial way to travel. Glad to hear there aren't as many problems as the jaded among us might imagine. I'll still make friends with the neighbors, though!! :rolleyes:

On our last day in CHI, returnng home on the CONO, we stored our things in a locker - they are very roomy, cost is nominal. After we ran the roads most of the day making the Science and Technology Museum and Spertus, walking back from there, getting lost on the way, we got back to Union Station, retrieved our bags, THEN found out we could have brought them to the Metropolitan Lounge and stored them for FREE. Available to sleeper passengers.

The Metropolitan was nice, lots of room, televisions, and drinks, we think even light snacks. Friendly people too.

On our trips both on the CONO in sleeper, and on the Crescent ( with 5 grandchildren in coach ) we left laptop, camera, and camera case in our bedroom. As suggested before, close the curtains and door, and put the things under the seat. On the Crescent, we went coach, and left all in the overhead luggage rack without incident. (Couldn't walk back and forth on the train taking photos with camera, camera bag, and laptop.)

The Willis Tower (formerly the Sears Tower) is nice, one can get a perspective of the architecture of Chicago from there. We went in clouds and rain. It was interesting to see rain falling - down - from our position. With average telephoto, you can get some great shots.

And it is only minutes from Union Station.

We heard about Giardano's from this group. We stayed out near Midway airport - downtown places are much too high for our budget, for the price of one night, we got 3 nights in king suite with double jaccuzzi. ( If anyone is interested, we'll be glad to give you link to our photos ) We asked the shuttle driver coming back from the EL, he took us to Giardano's in Rosemont. It is probably the BEST pizza we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back